IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DEPO Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-18, 08:07 AM
romanenko
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sinister2c
Time to get a Techstream Cable and disable those OEM highbeam DRLs.
Yup, gotta do that asap.
Old 03-09-18, 08:12 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by GUILE88

My order arrived and there is a piece of Styrofoam in the lens! ARRGHH. hopefully sell will just replace the RH headlight.
Apart from there being broken tabs inside the headlights. I'm kind of hesitant to purchase these.

​​​​​
Old 03-09-18, 09:09 AM
obe1
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Howdy, Just an update on the project. lights in the car and lens off. I aligned the projectors and wired all the China DRL control with Dimmer on Headlight ON, Stays bright with Parking Lamps. I added my Demon Eyes Bluetooth Controlled and got all the Extra stuff tucked away and ran. I have remove the lights now and brought them home to prepare them for the Lens Bake Install. Here are some picts..

30 feet 2 inch drop

Hi Beams

Just a color of what was cycling through

Normal Key on Demon Eyes and DRL Strip with China Dimming, Flashes the DRL with Turn Signals, Stays bright with Park Lights, DIM with Headlights on.

If all goes well, seal them up today, due the final install and drive my car at night!

Good Day,

Tex
The following users liked this post:
sinister2c (03-09-18)
Old 03-09-18, 09:24 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by obe1
Howdy, Just an update on the project. lights in the car and lens off. I aligned the projectors and wired all the China DRL control with Dimmer on Headlight ON, Stays bright with Parking Lamps. I added my Demon Eyes Bluetooth Controlled and got all the Extra stuff tucked away and ran. I have remove the lights now and brought them home to prepare them for the Lens Bake Install. Here are some picts..

30 feet 2 inch drop

Hi Beams

Just a color of what was cycling through

Normal Key on Demon Eyes and DRL Strip with China Dimming, Flashes the DRL with Turn Signals, Stays bright with Park Lights, DIM with Headlights on.

If all goes well, seal them up today, due the final install and drive my car at night!

Good Day,

Tex
They look amazing. I like the blue cutoff strip.
Old 03-09-18, 10:42 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

My order arrived and there is a piece of Styrofoam in the lens! ARRGHH. hopefully sell will just replace the RH headlight.
static clinged foam?...maybe rub with microfiber to see if you can move it. Or compressed air.

Seems like minor issue to have to return ship and wait to arrive.
Old 03-09-18, 10:47 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
They look amazing. I like the blue cutoff strip.
Its those MD2S projectors. All the minor quality control issues aside, these lights are the perfect platform (and price) for me and OBE1, who will open up and mess with them. I was considering doing the same to a set of $1,000 Aftermarket HID Depo's before I found these.

I will probably have mine wired up next week sometime. I have my 3-piece wheel assembly to finish this weekend and also expect my 3IS conversion bumper back early next week.
Old 03-09-18, 10:53 AM
GUILE88
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sinister2c
static clinged foam?...maybe rub with microfiber to see if you can move it. Or compressed air.

Seems like minor issue to have to return ship and wait to arrive.
I never planned on opening these. Wanted to use them as is, the Styrofoam is sealed int here and stuck in the glue. If the seller offers me partial refund I may live with it. But would prefer he just sends me a new RH headlight all together.
Old 03-09-18, 12:07 PM
sinister2c
Racer

So I've been researching all the old 2011+ DRL threads for wiring and I think I figured out the wiring and layout. It took alot of digging thru multiple posts to get this info. Jeff Lange's input on alot of the post help me develop this.

This is Jeff's cross reference pin/output/input:

I found a photo of the OEM 2011+ headlight harness that Sewell modified with their lights they sold a few years back.
You can use to cross reference your own wiring on the Depo halogen DRLs.

Depo DRLs are on Pins 7 and 8, You will need to find ACC (switch ignition) power for Pin 7 to DRL if you want them on all the time.

The following 2 users liked this post by sinister2c:
GUILE88 (03-09-18), hardy272 (05-04-20)
Old 03-09-18, 12:19 PM
GUILE88
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default on further inspection

On further inspection of this light I see the wires sticking out. Where is the quality control? May be inclined to return all together...

poor quality control
Old 03-09-18, 04:32 PM
sinister2c
Racer

On further inspection of this light I see the wires sticking out. Where is the quality control? May be inclined to return all together...

poor quality control
looks like you got a dud set.
Old 03-09-18, 05:29 PM
Nespo2330
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^Agreed. I’d just reach out to the seller to resolve it
Old 03-10-18, 09:02 PM
obe1
Pit Crew

These are the Depo Lights and I am bench testing the output for the DRL light strip 35. ish volts with LED lit up.

Here is the output without the DRL strip lights unplugged. 13.7 volts

The amp draw with the DRL Drip on, 215 MA

With the power applied and plugged in the DRL Strip the Voltage output stayed 13.7 and the lights did not come on, until I power cycled and then they lit and 35 ish volts was measured and the Lights Lit Up

Here is the Ground Wire from the DRL Light Strip connects to the Ground Wire "Purple" to the Turn Signal. I cut the wire free and the power wire "Green" to the DRL system and connected them to the Aftermarket DRL Controller.
Old 03-10-18, 09:32 PM
obe1
Pit Crew

The Lights before aligning, and testing all components

Aligning, and testing all the wiring

Completed Lights, Ballast on bottom and Extra Harness added to plug in the DRL module

The Location of the Bluetooth Demon Eyes and DRL controller

Final Install

Finished Product with Demon Eyes as DRL too
Old 03-11-18, 07:33 AM
Nespo2330
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Really impressive work. The finished product is outstanding, I’d finish it off by buying some Philips ultinon 6k bulbs to really set it off..

by the way please tell me that jet is yours......
Old 03-11-18, 01:41 PM
obe1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Nespo2330
Really impressive work. The finished product is outstanding, I’d finish it off by buying some Philips ultinon 6k bulbs to really set it off..

by the way please tell me that jet is yours......

Thank you, I have Phillips 6000 CCI bulbs in them now.

That blue twin twin is a Cesnna C414A model and I fly that for the owner from time to time. The little plane to the right, I built that over in 2 1/2 year for the guy that owns both planes and the hanger. I was his flight instructor and worked with him till he finished his private certificate, aka “pilots license” with the large hanger it’s easy to aim and work on the headlights there and I live 10 mins away.

Tex

Quick Reply: DEPO Headlights