IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DEPO Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-18, 07:27 AM
GymRat86
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XSV
damn, did yall go to school for electrical engineering? all this wiring is overwhelming.
I think your over thinking it, you just need to be a little mechanical inclined to understand that basics of how LEDs light up and what it takes to make them light up ..so We all are mechanically inclined..lol..Obe1 builds personal Airplanes, so he does avionics in the plane and wiring of the aircraft aswell, Not sure what Sinister does but obviously something engineering wise. I work for UTC Aerospace systems building OEM airplane parts for AirBus and Boeing.
Old 05-15-18, 08:28 PM
ProxyLexi
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why did the price on these headlights skyrise in price all of the sudden? I was going to buy them in February, but I was waiting for tax returns now I feel bad for not buying them. All am seeing now is out of stock and some were listed for around 1k.
Old 05-20-18, 08:59 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Old 05-25-18, 10:25 PM
GymRat86
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

So I got the new LEDs and aluminum heatsink boards made..here is a short video of them

Old 05-27-18, 07:20 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by GymRat86
So I got the new LEDs and aluminum heatsink boards made..here is a short video of them

Those are quite bright.
Old 05-30-18, 09:42 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

MikeFig or Obe1, can one of you trace the Depo board on an 8.5x11 piece of paper in scale. Do two sheets if it doesn’t fit and scan to a PDF. I want to fabricate the boards before I open against to reduce down time.

Thanks.
Old 06-15-18, 10:18 AM
sinister2c
Racer

started my board replacement with new high power LEDs. HD and Lowes don't have that thick of aluminum, only 0.025 was thickest. I found the door kick panels to be closer to 0.032 and cheaper option. Only $15 for the satin aluminum panel. Enough to make 4 or more boards depending on how conservative you are in cutting them.

HD kick panel, $15

Two of the predrilled holes on panel line up perfection with boards.

Cut and filed down. Used a bench grinder to shape it and then use a hand file to clean up. Use some 200 grit sand paper to clean up the final edge.

After I already ordered $40 worth of LED star chips and $20 in drivers. I found that TRS offers a new product, universal sequential turnsignal/DRL boards for $145 (12 chips per Headlight) with controller. You can probably get them for $130 with their usual headlight junkies FB discount code or probably 15% off on their next holiday sale.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/rg...rl-boards.html

Only thing I see with these is that they need to be mounted under the heatsink board with a hole for output due to the way the soldered wires are located, you would probably short the contacts to metal if you tried to surface mount them.

Old 07-01-18, 11:39 AM
Patton6964
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

Question,

I've gone through all 19 pages....and I've probably missed the info I'm about to ask, so sorry to be redundant.

All I would like to do is buy the Depo LED headlights ($400 version) and wire the DRL strip to be on 24/7. Looks like all I would have to do is unpin #7 and wire it to the factory wiring to do so?

Also can't I just swap out the LED's that come with Depo's for some better LED bulbs? 6k to match the LED strip?

Not trying to bake the headlights and do a bunch of extra work.
Old 07-01-18, 02:36 PM
obe1
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello and I try and answer your questions.

Ok, the LEDs in the Depo lights, the power wire to the Led Driver can be separated and wired to key on power to allow the LEDs to come on with the Key on engine running or engine stopped. From Depo the leads are power from the clearance / parks lights..

Now if. Understand your question, change out the led bulbs, do you mean the lead white strip Day time running lights? These “ bulbs”are soldered on a internal board. There are 12 per side... are only accessible by baking, and removing the headlight lenses.

If if you are talking about swapping the headlight bulbs out and exchange them to LED bulbs, there are external covers to change the Turn signal, low beam. And high beam bulbs.

The led DRL strip from Depo are already night dimmed and are setup wattage ans driver for night use and not very bright in the daytime. Myself and others have made new circuit boards, and installed hi output LEDs with new drivers to get a higher daytime brightness. Just exchanging the drivers want work, that will overdrive the built in LEDs ans burn them out if your try to only exchange the driver to brighten them.

Hope this helps

tex

Last edited by obe1; 07-01-18 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-02-18, 07:11 AM
Patton6964
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by obe1
Hello and I try and answer your questions.

Ok, the LEDs in the Depo lights, the power wire to the Led Driver can be separated and wired to key on power to allow the LEDs to come on with the Key on engine running or engine stopped. From Depo the leads are power from the clearance / parks lights..

Now if. Understand your question, change out the led bulbs, do you mean the lead white strip Day time running lights? These “ bulbs”are soldered on a internal board. There are 12 per side... are only accessible by baking, and removing the headlight lenses.

If if you are talking about swapping the headlight bulbs out and exchange them to LED bulbs, there are external covers to change the Turn signal, low beam. And high beam bulbs.

The led DRL strip from Depo are already night dimmed and are setup wattage ans driver for night use and not very bright in the daytime. Myself and others have made new circuit boards, and installed hi output LEDs with new drivers to get a higher daytime brightness. Just exchanging the drivers want work, that will overdrive the built in LEDs ans burn them out if your try to only exchange the driver to brighten them.

Hope this helps

tex
That pretty clears up what I was asking, Thanks for the reply Tex!
Old 07-03-18, 03:31 PM
sinister2c
Racer

My boards and current rebuild of my setup. Had to fix leaks and reposition the projector since they were too high and inward last time.
Old 07-09-18, 07:42 PM
sinister2c
Racer

New boards and LED

Plenty of air gap for ventilation

Trimmed the bracket to fit LED projectors better. I didn’t like my previous mount.

Used the bracket that came with iLENs projectors.

Was able to use the shroud from the Depo projectors. Used 3M tape to mount to lens holder.

Alignment is good. Left projector rotation is slightly off. At distance the two steps merge as one so not noticeable.

New DRL LED are bright as hell. I light the neighbors roof at night at 350mA. I originally used a diode to dim to 150mA dimmed mode but still too bright. Swapped diodes to dim the mean well drivers to 50mA at night.
Old 07-13-18, 07:25 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Video of the whole soldering, glueing, and assembly.
The following users liked this post:
tonydobbs (07-13-18)
Old 07-16-18, 11:01 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks for posting these photos and videos.

I'm thinking about getting these (looks a lot better than the other aftermarket). Does anyone know if these headlights will have enough room to fit the XenonDepot LED H11 along with the LED drivers inside the cover (so I don't need to drill holes)?

http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-Xtreme...ed-h11-pro.htm
Old 07-20-18, 09:04 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I purchased a set of these headlights and testing out the lights and they all seem to work. While I was checking the headlight adjustment screws, they don't seem to do anything. Does anyone have this issue with their headlights? Neither of my headlights move when the adjustment screws are turned. I have tried the adjustment screws on the edge of the headlight yet. I also noticed that the driver side headlight project lens is more recessed than the passenger side ...

Quick Reply: DEPO Headlights