IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DEPO Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-18, 11:19 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by nosurprise
Thanks for posting these photos and videos.

I'm thinking about getting these (looks a lot better than the other aftermarket). Does anyone know if these headlights will have enough room to fit the XenonDepot LED H11 along with the LED drivers inside the cover (so I don't need to drill holes)?

http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-Xtreme...ed-h11-pro.htm
if you are going plug and play. Get xenon depot bulbs and Hilux ballasts. I've had good experiences with H11 from XD, the Hilux are currently best aftermarket ballast out there.
Old 07-22-18, 11:20 AM
sinister2c
Racer

I purchased a set of these headlights and testing out the lights and they all seem to work. While I was checking the headlight adjustment screws, they don't seem to do anything. Does anyone have this issue with their headlights? Neither of my headlights move when the adjustment screws are turned. I have tried the adjustment screws on the edge of the headlight yet. I also noticed that the driver side headlight project lens is more recessed than the passenger side ...
if you have them off the car, try turning screw other direction. If you go too far out it might have reached end and mount came loose from screw.
Old 07-22-18, 09:41 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by sinister2c
if you are going plug and play. Get xenon depot bulbs and Hilux ballasts. I've had good experiences with H11 from XD, the Hilux are currently best aftermarket ballast out there.
I tested out the adjustments a little more, and they do work adjusting up and down (it's just very small amount).

For the HID, you mean like the one in the link below? Would that fit inside the housing without drilling a hole? I'm also thinking about cutting the blue and black wires and route the ballast output through that ... I wonder if the ballast will fit under the bracket where the OEM ballast would have been.

https://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php...-ballasts.html

Edit: or maybe I should get this smaller 35W one and remove the Canbus error canceler. I don't think it's needed for our car right? https://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php...-ballasts.html

Last edited by nosurprise; 07-22-18 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-23-18, 07:51 PM
nosurprise
Racer

I think I'll try out the LED from XenonDepot. I got a couple of IMs from Danny of XenonDepot and it seems the LEDs shoult fit in there ... if I were to tried out the HID, I would definitely cut the wires instead of drilling a hole since I don't have a drill (lol?).

EDIT: on a related question, is there a lot of 10mm bolts that need to be taken off from under the bumper? I thought I recall there are some in the center, under the bumper, but in the videos, I only see people taking off the bolts on the top and a few on the side, and it came off.
Old 07-24-18, 04:09 PM
sinister2c
Racer

I think I'll try out the LED from XenonDepot. I got a couple of IMs from Danny of XenonDepot and it seems the LEDs shoult fit in there ... if I were to tried out the HID, I would definitely cut the wires instead of drilling a hole since I don't have a drill (lol?).

EDIT: on a related question, is there a lot of 10mm bolts that need to be taken off from under the bumper? I thought I recall there are some in the center, under the bumper, but in the videos, I only see people taking off the bolts on the top and a few on the side, and it came off.
if you like poor output got PNP LED. Best best is a proper projector retrofit.
Old 07-24-18, 06:26 PM
nosurprise
Racer

if you like poor output got PNP LED. Best best is a proper projector retrofit.
Thanks for the feedback; while I don't like poor output, I'm hoping that this would be good enough for me or at least have the same OEM halogen output. I'm OK with OEM halogen brightness. I'm little worry that these aftermarket projectors are not as good as the OEM which might make the overall brightness worst than OEM. If they're not good enough I'll go the HID route, but I don't think I can do the projector retrofit.

Last edited by nosurprise; 07-24-18 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-28-18, 09:48 PM
nosurprise
Racer

I installed the headlights today. It looks pretty good but the bumper bracket doesn't seem to fit correctly on the 2008 though it works ok.

The light output is pretty bad. I'm not sure if it's the LED bulbs or the projectors -- the LED bulb is probably the major cause. I think maybe I should try HID, but not going to do that until it's cooler out.
Old 07-29-18, 09:49 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Pretty sure it's the PnP LED bulbs. They are poor already and installed in a side mount bulb projector makes it worse.

I installed the headlights today. It looks pretty good but the bumper bracket doesn't seem to fit correctly on the 2008 though it works ok.

The light output is pretty bad. I'm not sure if it's the LED bulbs or the projectors -- the LED bulb is probably the major cause. I think maybe I should try HID, but not going to do that until it's cooler out.
Old 07-30-18, 06:14 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Do you think the OEM halogen projectors will fit the DEPO housing without any modifications? Since I just have these set of headlights sitting there, if it helps, I could transfer them over. I saw someone else, in another thread, installed the same LED kit (but on 2009) that doesn't seem to have as bad of light output as mine (on 2008).
Old 07-30-18, 09:07 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Nope, they won’t fit. The Depo halogen aren’t that great to begin with. I have a YouTube video comparing output of halogen vs H11 HID PNP and neither were impressive to me. But I have high standards for light output and I only do full projector retrofits on my cars.

Do you think the OEM halogen projectors will fit the DEPO housing without any modifications? Since I just have these set of headlights sitting there, if it helps, I could transfer them over. I saw someone else, in another thread, installed the same LED kit (but on 2009) that doesn't seem to have as bad of light output as mine (on 2008).
Old 07-30-18, 09:56 PM
nosurprise
Racer

That's too bad. I finished watching your video, it's definitely better than the LED output. I'm going to see how well the LED bulbs look on the OEM halogen projects as an exercise. I'm going to get some HIDs and put them in. Do you have any recommended projectors that would fit the Depo without modifications?

And I noticed a lot of people seems to not put all the 9 screws on the bottom of the bumper back in. Is it safe to drive around like that?

Last edited by nosurprise; 07-30-18 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-02-18, 01:02 PM
Patton6964
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

So I've been researching all the old 2011+ DRL threads for wiring and I think I figured out the wiring and layout. It took alot of digging thru multiple posts to get this info. Jeff Lange's input on alot of the post help me develop this.

This is Jeff's cross reference pin/output/input:

I found a photo of the OEM 2011+ headlight harness that Sewell modified with their lights they sold a few years back.
You can use to cross reference your own wiring on the Depo halogen DRLs.

Depo DRLs are on Pins 7 and 8, You will need to find ACC (switch ignition) power for Pin 7 to DRL if you want them on all the time.

So after following this guide I was not able to get the LED strips to come on at all after depinning 7 & 8. I used the ground right under each of the headlights and then ran power to the driver side fuse box and used a IG2 fuse to connect the headlights. Did I do something incorrectly? Is there another spot to run power to?
Old 08-03-18, 06:24 AM
sinister2c
Racer

you need a relay to provide battery power to the LED strips. The IG fuse is only used to activate the relay. First test that you can light the LED strips by doing direct power to the strips from the battery. Depo Pin 7 to 12V+ and Depo Pin 8 to GND.
Old 08-03-18, 08:40 AM
Patton6964
Advanced

you need a relay to provide battery power to the LED strips. The IG fuse is only used to activate the relay. First test that you can light the LED strips by doing direct power to the strips from the battery. Depo Pin 7 to 12V+ and Depo Pin 8 to GND.
Would you happen to have the part number for the relay I need?
Old 08-03-18, 11:08 AM
Patton6964
Advanced

part number: 81980-06020 is this right?

Quick Reply: DEPO Headlights