IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DEPO Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-18, 12:19 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

You don't like the Depo headlights? I think they look better than the one you listed.
Old 09-14-18, 08:11 AM
Ohisee
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With the depo lights at 450 after tax I would still need to purchase a hid kif from 75-150 these are 450 with hid kit even though they are h7 instead of h11. They also have a tutorial youtube vid to show you how to have the drl on all the time. I do think the depo lights are better quality per sinister video but these have a 3yr warranty so I'll give them a shot
Old 09-14-18, 02:37 PM
nosurprise
Racer

I hear you. I've spent total of $800 on making these headlights work for my car. But it's a learning experience lol I have baked the headlights open (you can open it with 220F without worry about melting anything), and I think these can make the DRL on all the time without running any more wires to the fuse. I don't want to bother with it though.
Old 09-15-18, 10:23 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
Very detailed thread but does anyone have long term input on the HID Depo's selling for $995+? On the fence about them, or simply getting the ones for $450 and upgrading to HID bulbs. I know the cutoff won't be the same and it's the cheap way, but have read very little on the HID Depo's. Some halogen Depo owners have reported failing LED's and bubbling of black paint..
The $1,000 ones are probably better quality on LED DRL and HID projector. They are built closer to OE spec since they need to be CAPA certified for replacement and most insurance won't accept unless they are comparable to OEM.
The $400 are not build to OE spec on the LED DRL or the halogen projector. But the $400 ones are a good foundation for people like me who plan to gut them anyway and make it better. Before I found them, I was contemplating buying the $1,000 ones to gut.
The following users liked this post:
LexusfanVA (10-18-18)
Old 09-15-18, 10:25 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Originally Posted by Ohisee
With the depo lights at 450 after tax I would still need to purchase a hid kif from 75-150 these are 450 with hid kit even though they are h7 instead of h11. They also have a tutorial youtube vid to show you how to have the drl on all the time. I do think the depo lights are better quality per sinister video but these have a 3yr warranty so I'll give them a shot
Those VIP Motoz ones aren't that great in the long run either. The height adjustments require taking the headlight off since the screws aren't accessible. The wiring of those DRL are probably just as complicated as with Depo. You will need to pull ACC power no matter what.
Old 10-10-18, 12:10 PM
Patton6964
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

So I installed these no problem. The other night I was out driving and noticed it looked like only one headlight was working. I get out and both lights are on. After further investigation, I found that my driver side headlight just isnt projecting. I tried adjusting the headlight using a Philip's head but nothing moves on the headlight. Is there another way to adjust these?
Old 10-10-18, 07:44 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Turning the screw driver counter clockwise moves the aim up. Make sure you park at least 5 feet from the wall and put a piece of tape to mark the original light aim. It moves up very slowly. If you don't see it move after some turns, it's probably broken, and you may need to open up the headlight housing.
Old 10-11-18, 11:40 AM
sinister2c
Racer

did you aim them after you installed? Almost any headlight will need to be aimed out of the box when you install. From my experience it is much easier to turn the adjustment screws with everything is apart, once you get it back in, its a PIA. The 2IS headlights are tricky due to the 2 axis adjustment. The have vertical and horizontal and is all affects the aim.

Old 10-11-18, 06:42 PM
Joliver922
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daylight Picture

DO YOU HAVE ANY DAYTIME PICTURES ? I have a white 2008 IS250 and am wondering if these are too smoked out for my car. I’m still confused as to whether it will fit my car or not .

The Lights before aligning, and testing all components

Aligning, and testing all the wiring

Completed Lights, Ballast on bottom and Extra Harness added to plug in the DRL module

The Location of the Bluetooth Demon Eyes and DRL controller

Final Install

Finished Product with Demon Eyes as DRL too[/QUOTE]
so
Old 10-12-18, 07:14 AM
Patton6964
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by sinister2c
did you aim them after you installed? Almost any headlight will need to be aimed out of the box when you install. From my experience it is much easier to turn the adjustment screws with everything is apart, once you get it back in, its a PIA. The 2IS headlights are tricky due to the 2 axis adjustment. The have vertical and horizontal and is all affects the aim.

No I did not aim them when I installed them. I did it during the day and didn't really think about it. I don't do a lot of night time driving but the other day when I was out I noticed it. I dropped the bumper and got in behind the lights to use the adjusters to re-position the headlights correctly, but the adjusters don't move the headlight at all. In any direction.....
Old 10-13-18, 08:23 PM
sinister2c
Racer

I'm guessing the adjustment went to far in the out direction and might have came out of the socket. Might try taking off light and use a drill to turn the ****.
Old 10-18-18, 09:05 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 159 Posts

TLDR, might you guys be able to post up exactly how how to wire the halogen Depo with retro fit HID? So that low beams high beams turn signals etc all work?

My setup is Depo Halogen, with custom etched STI-R lens, custom bracket for the HID projector, with upgraded led strip to better LED’s as well as a sequential turn style. Halo ring on the projector as well as added Bluetooth color changing demon eyes both in the projector and the Led strip. 6k phillips $180 bulbs. These were modded and installed last weekend. Right now I have a bad ballast and neither low nor high beams work though the beams worked for a bit, but needed adjustment and after a car wash neither work. High beams never worked. The strip/halo are currently wired to only work with parking or low beams. Going to be installing LED fogs and fixing everything and was hoping for some wiring info.

Any tips you can offer would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_9555.mov (4.54 MB, 46 views)

Last edited by LexusfanVA; 10-18-18 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-18-18, 09:12 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 159 Posts

Old 10-18-18, 07:49 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Wow, pretty cool. I'm thinking of putting in the demon eyes (blue) when it's cooler outside. I think there is a way to do constant on DRL without running a wire to the fuse -- when I do it, I'll post a DIY.

TLDR, might you guys be able to post up exactly how how to wire the halogen Depo with retro fit HID? So that low beams high beams turn signals etc all work?
The low and high beams and turn signals are plug and play. It should just work. Did you test that the halogens work before you retrofit it with HID? There is not differences in wiring the HID to replace the halogens -- just plug the positive to positive, negative to negative. If it doesn't work, the retrofit is done wrong.
Old 10-20-18, 07:46 AM
Petet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

what led strips did you use ?

Quick Reply: DEPO Headlights