IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DEPO Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-20, 12:09 PM
obe1
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Howdy,

I see some of my pics I took in a quote. I wanted to follow up where all of the Depo project went.

1. as seen I opened the Depo headlamps and installed new Hid projectors, having to actually cut a hole in the back of the housing to be able to change the bulb if required and use a 90 degree connector to bulb. I also install Demon Eyes, that are Bluetooth controlled to any color.

2. was not pleased with the DRL strips in the daytime. Was pleased with the headlight performance tho.

3. I changed the driver to increase the brightness of the DRL lights. This eventually lead to over driving them and burning out 1 by 1.

4. rethought project, pull headlamps out again and removed the DRL boards. Saw changing LED on the board wasn’t a good option. So out of aircraft grade aluminum I traced the boards and remade them.

5. I bought hi output leds to be able to be driven at a hi output. Mounted the leds to my new Aluminum boards and soldered in series the LEDS.

6. Used adjustable power output to play with brightness to determine desired brightness and temperature of the new boards.

7. Wired a dimmer circuit tripped by headlamps to cut the input voltage / current to the drivers to lower their output when headlamps are turned on.

8. Also wired in a delay timer on the led driver to cut the power to the driver when turn signal is activated holding the power off for a delay time until the flasher is turned off, after the delayed timer expires the DRL turns back on. The timer is configurable to how long the delay is set for.

9. coming up on two years finished project now and no issues. No moister inside the light housing, or driver / Leds, ballast, or hi beem shutter issues. The DRL lights are very bright in the daytime and Less bright “dimmed” at night. Leds Being under Driven creates an hope to last a longer period of time with less heat. No distortion has occurred in any leds mounting or housings having gown through 2 Texas summers.

time tells all ​​​​​​​

New board with new leads

Delay Timer and Driver

Completed DRL unit to install back into the headlamp assy.

The view of the actual leds via the reflector

Installed and working
Old 10-10-20, 12:10 PM
obe1
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Howdy,

I see some of my pics I took in a quote. I wanted to follow up where all of the Depo project went.

1. as seen I opened the Depo headlamps and installed new Hid projectors, having to actually cut a hole in the back of the housing to be able to change the bulb if required and use a 90 degree connector to bulb. I also install Demon Eyes, that are Bluetooth controlled to any color.

2. was not pleased with the DRL strips in the daytime. Was pleased with the headlight performance tho.

3. I changed the driver to increase the brightness of the DRL lights. This eventually lead to over driving them and burning out 1 by 1.

4. rethought project, pull headlamps out again and removed the DRL boards. Saw changing LED on the board wasn’t a good option. So out of aircraft grade aluminum I traced the boards and remade them.

5. I bought hi output leds to be able to be driven at a hi output. Mounted the leds to my new Aluminum boards and soldered in series the LEDS.

6. Used adjustable power output to play with brightness to determine desired brightness and temperature of the new boards.

7. Wired a dimmer circuit tripped by headlamps to cut the input voltage / current to the drivers to lower their output when headlamps are turned on.

8. Also wired in a delay timer on the led driver to cut the power to the driver when turn signal is activated holding the power off for a delay time until the flasher is turned off, after the delayed timer expires the DRL turns back on. The timer is configurable to how long the delay is set for.

9. coming up on two years finished project now and no issues. No moister inside the light housing, or driver / Leds, ballast, or hi beem shutter issues. The DRL lights are very bright in the daytime and Less bright “dimmed” at night. Leds Being under Driven creates an hope to last a longer period of time with less heat. No distortion has occurred in any leds mounting or housings having gown through 2 Texas summers.

time tells all

New board with new leads

Delay Timer and Driver

Completed DRL unit to install back into the headlamp assy.

The view of the actual leds via the reflector

Installed and working
Old 10-10-20, 12:58 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Drpower
That's actually a good price. Is that for both headlights?
Yes, for both. I ended up baking it open and try to make the changes myself. But I didn't have the right tools to cut the bracket, so I paid the guy $120 just to cut the brackets to shape lol
Originally Posted by obe1
Howdy,

That's very nice work. The DEPO DRLs aren't great, but I would live with them if they don't stop working. I didn't overdrive them to be brighter; and the whole set of LEDs gone out on one of my headlights, I think there something wrong with the electronics supplying the power. There are headlights with 1 or 2 LEDs not lighting up as well -- DEPO cheaped out on the LEDs.

I was going to buy a set of DEPO tail lights, but I decided against it after this. I don't want to deal of LEDs going out on the tail lights in less than a year.
Old 10-12-20, 06:53 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by nosurprise
It sounds like they only want headlights that they can easily fit right in after the headlights are opened :/ You can find someone that customize headlights and show them sinister2c's pics on how to cut or customize. I was quoted $300 to fit it with after market projectors (no DRL LED changes though).
Yea...that sounds right. But is that for HID projectors or LED? A good HID projector like the MDS2 5.0 is already $130 in parts, assuming they are using your old HID ballasts/bulbs? If not, that's another $120 in parts.
Eitherway, the labor is a pain as it is not plug and play and they have to cut the bracket and housing to fit HID.

If they are doing a new LED projector, that is $200 in parts but fits without cutting the housing, just trim the brackets to fit.
Old 10-12-20, 04:56 PM
nosurprise
Racer

I put in the LED projectors. The $300 quote was just labor.

Too bad DEPO didn't use standard after market brackets that can fit standard projectors.
Old 10-15-20, 10:46 AM
Patton6964
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

I just installed a set on Depo headlights on my 2012 Lexus is250. The LED lights on the bottom of the headlight is not working. Any ideas on what I need to do? Also I get a indicator light that there is an issue with my headlights on the main dash. I've pulled the 7.5 amp fuse and it removes the warning but I still do not get the LED lights to work on the bottom. Any help would be appreciated
Old 10-15-20, 12:31 PM
nosurprise
Racer

You can test all the lights work or not outside of the car with a external power supply like those from a computer. sinister2c posted video about what wires to use.
Old 10-15-20, 02:33 PM
Patton6964
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

The lights are not the issue. They work just fine. I had the depo's on my 08 ISF and they worked just fine. I wanted to swap the 2012 OEM headlights for the depo's on my 08. After swapping the 2012's to the 08 the led strip doesn't light up, and then swapping the depo's to the 2012 I have the same issue. no LED strip. swap them back, they both work fine.
Old 10-16-20, 09:18 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Patton6964
The lights are not the issue. They work just fine. I had the depo's on my 08 ISF and they worked just fine. I wanted to swap the 2012 OEM headlights for the depo's on my 08. After swapping the 2012's to the 08 the led strip doesn't light up, and then swapping the depo's to the 2012 I have the same issue. no LED strip. swap them back, they both work fine.
The wiring pinout and the way the power is supplied to both headlights is totally different.
There are a few threads about the 2011+ wiring.