IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DEPO Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-18, 05:17 AM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

The style/design of these look pretty much identical to OEM and quality looks good too, thanks for being the tester on these and taking time to review.

General question.. since these are supposed to be 11+ replacements, if you have a 2011 with HID, how easy/difficult would these be to swap? I'm thinking from a stand point of making the halogen bulb + projector what is used.
Old 02-02-18, 06:55 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by MAizz
The style/design of these look pretty much identical to OEM and quality looks good too, thanks for being the tester on these and taking time to review.

General question.. since these are supposed to be 11+ replacements, if you have a 2011 with HID, how easy/difficult would these be to swap? I'm thinking from a stand point of making the halogen bulb + projector what is used.
These are designed to be PnP for halogen from 2006+.
If you have HID, it will be a bit more of a project to fit the HID parts onto these or go with aftermarket HID kit with H11b bulbs.

I will do an output video of the halogen vs. H11b bulb from Xenon Depot when I have time next week.

Other option is to get the Depo aftermarket HID versions which are twice the price and you have to transplant you HID ballast and bulbs over. Looks like it may come with autolevel motor though, some of the photos I see on eBay lists don't show caps either. See below for the ones i found on eBay while shopping for these.

www.ebay.com/itm/HID-Headlights-Headlamps-NEW-Pair-Set-for-2011-11-Lexus-IS250-IS350

Last edited by sinister2c; 03-29-21 at 09:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MAizz (02-02-18)
Old 02-02-18, 07:09 AM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by sinister2c
If you have HID, it will be a bit more of a project to fit the HID parts onto these or go with aftermarket HID kit with H11b bulbs.
How about to run the halogen instead of my HID? (Just speculating, don't jump all over me on this)
Old 02-02-18, 08:05 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Nice review, Sinister2c! They look pretty good, maybe if I didn't have my Spec Ds I'd have gotten these. I'm not really knowledgeable about retrofits but it definitely looks quite tight in there compared to the Spec Ds, My headlights are almost done with the Morimoto M LED retrofit and there's tons of empty space in the case to put any extra hardware and tuck any wires.
Old 02-02-18, 09:59 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Originally Posted by Aspect
Nice review, Sinister2c! They look pretty good, maybe if I didn't have my Spec Ds I'd have gotten these. I'm not really knowledgeable about retrofits but it definitely looks quite tight in there compared to the Spec Ds, My headlights are almost done with the Morimoto M LED retrofit and there's tons of empty space in the case to put any extra hardware and tuck any wires.
I was eyeing those M-LEDs, but not worth $400 with the poor reviews about width and requiring the "chip flip" mod. I went with the CNLight iLENS Bi-LED for half the price (same as Profile Bi-LED). The M-LED have removable shaft which will fit fine in these housings. I have an AFS projectpr and measured the clearance and seemed like the M-LED would have been perfect. I think for the iLENS Bi-LED, I will have to dremel the shaft off to make room. Thats an extra inch saved.

All the guys that have done HID projector retros on 2IS housing have had cut the housing but those retros I've seen just have that bulb part sticking out the back.
Old 02-02-18, 11:57 AM
merkin110
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will do an output video of the halogen vs. H11b bulb from Xenon Depot when I have time next week.

Other option is to get the Depo aftermarket HID versions which are twice the price and you have to transplant you HID ballast and bulbs over. Looks like it may come with autolevel motor though, some of the photos I see on eBay lists don't show caps either. See below for the ones i found on eBay while shopping for these.

www.ebay.com/itm/HID-Headlights-Headlamps-NEW-Pair-Set-for-2011-11-Lexus-IS250-IS350
Has anyone installed the Depo aftermarket HID versions where you can transfer the stock HID ballast and bulb over? Would like to see if its worth the cost. Thanks
Old 02-02-18, 07:55 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

So my wife bought me a set of these. Of course my 08 has HIDs, and these are made for halogen. What is my best bet to get these guys working. I dont care about losing AFS just want my low beams to work with this set up
Old 02-02-18, 08:09 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Originally Posted by MikeyK02
So my wife bought me a set of these. Of course my 08 has HIDs, and these are made for halogen. What is my best bet to get these guys working. I dont care about losing AFS just want my low beams to work with this set up
pull the AFS fuse, buy a quality H11b HID kit from Morimoto or Xenon Depot and install as if you had halogen. there should be plenty of how tos for that install.

only thing I'm not sure about but most likely the stock high beam DRL will still be active on the pre 2011 cars. Not sure how these HL are wired for the LED DRL. Will need to plug them up to car and test.
The following users liked this post:
MikeyK02 (02-02-18)
Old 02-02-18, 08:17 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

pull the AFS fuse, buy a quality H11b HID kit from Morimoto or Xenon Depot and install as if you had halogen. there should be plenty of how tos for that install.

only thing I'm not sure about but most likely the stock high beam DRL will still be active on the pre 2011 cars. Not sure how these HL are wired for the LED DRL. Will need to plug them up to car and test.
Good deal. Just ordered my kit from Xenon Depot. They're rocking a 15% off VDay deal so wins all around.

As far as the DRLs, I actually just bought a lexus/techstream cable so should be able to adjust it pretty easily
Old 02-06-18, 09:12 AM
Drpower
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates on the headlights, I am waiting for your review before I go ahead and purchase them.
Old 02-06-18, 01:59 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Originally Posted by Drpower
Any updates on the headlights, I am waiting for your review before I go ahead and purchase them.
Got the unboxing video on Page 2. Haven't gotten chance to do any output or closeup photos since I've been on a few business trips lately.
Old 02-06-18, 04:26 PM
Drpower
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great video. Looking forward to your review.
Old 02-08-18, 09:38 PM
sinister2c
Racer

I had some time to make some output videos tonight...they are uploading and I will post when the process to YouTube.

2021 Update, Looks like there is a V2 with better DRL and dimming.
www.ebay.com/itm/V2-OE-Style-Daytime-Visible-DRL-LED-Bar-Headlight-For-06-13-Lexus-IS-IS250-IS350

I also took some detailed photos.

Philips HB3/9005 High Beams

Wire Harness for Halogen
Side Project with H11 Halogens
Philips HB3/9005 High Beams
Leveling Screws in factory location

Last edited by sinister2c; 03-29-21 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-08-18, 09:57 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Here is the HALOGEN and H11b HID output and cutoff. The cutoff and step are pretty decent and reminds me of the Morimoto (MH1, MD2S, 4TL-R) HID projector steps. Output is pretty spotty and poor on the ground though. The distance hotspot is good.

These are taken on iPhone 7 so nothing scientific about them or locked exposures.

HALOGEN CUTOFF AND STEP

HALOGEN OUTPUT ON THE GROUND (SPOTTY)

H11B HID CUTOFF AND STEP (Xenon Depot bulb and Morimoto XB35 ballast, both brand new)

H11B HID CUTOFF COLOR AND DROP OFF

H11B HID COLOR BAND

H11B HID OUTPUT ON GROUND
Old 02-08-18, 10:10 PM
sinister2c
Racer

DRL output video review:

Quick Reply: DEPO Headlights