IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DEPO Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-18, 12:37 AM
Luciefer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vipmoto or depo?
Who have the best light with HID just? Stock projectors interesting.
Old 03-03-18, 11:01 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Opened mine last night. Easy bake open. Should have video later this weekend.

The depo inner shroud has crappy clip that came broken like @ode1 experienced. Won’t notice til you bake open.

My iLens LED fits with same minor shaving of sides. It sits 1/2 forward which I needed since rear threads and wiring barely clears.

The DRL is just as I suspected. Single output from voltage/amps regulator. I plan to use a China multi output and signal driver to replace this. OEM still has a controller board which these DRL don’t have, probably cost savings .

[left] Input Voltage
Output Voltage
Output Amps
Old 03-04-18, 04:53 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by sinister2c
Opened mine last night. Easy bake open. Should have video later this weekend.

The depo inner shroud has crappy clip that came broken like @ode1 experienced. Won’t notice til you bake open.

My iLens LED fits with same minor shaving of sides. It sits 1/2 forward which I needed since rear threads and wiring barely clears.

The DRL is just as I suspected. Single output from voltage/amps regulator. I plan to use a China multi output and signal driver to replace this. OEM still has a controller board which these DRL don’t have, probably cost savings .

[left] Input Voltage
Output Voltage
Output Amps

With the tabs being broken. This will probably lead to flickering headlights on the road?
Old 03-04-18, 05:57 PM
obe1
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
With the tabs being broken. This will probably lead to flickering headlights on the road?

I would not think it would not because the lower was on my two where still attached and the trim bezel would not lean away far enough to interfere with the beam. Just a small cosmetic look if you look closely from the outside. It caught my eye before I baked to open it. Maybe the other guy can shed some light on this too.

Tex
Old 03-04-18, 06:11 PM
obe1
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

An update on the project: Baked open the Right light now since I have a final conclusion with the left. After baking open the right, Yes the top trim bezel clip is broken on it too. I left off on the left .... with a straight connector for the HID out the back...

Where I left off on the Left. The connector extending out some.

I adjusted the 3 mounts, 4 turns each to move the mount forward. This allowed me to use a 90 degree connector and keep the wires inside to exit another location.
Old 03-05-18, 03:41 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
purely cosmetic, shouldn't be issue long term either since these don't autolevel.
Old 03-05-18, 03:43 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Originally Posted by obe1
An update on the project: Baked open the Right light now since I have a final conclusion with the left. After baking open the right, Yes the top trim bezel clip is broken on it too. I left off on the left .... with a straight connector for the HID out the back...

Where I left off on the Left. The connector extending out some.

I adjusted the 3 mounts, 4 turns each to move the mount forward. This allowed me to use a 90 degree connector and keep the wires inside to exit another location.
remember these are height and left-right adjustment *****. So once on car, you will need to adjust when may or may not affect where final position is.
Old 03-05-18, 04:22 PM
GymRat86
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

So you guys are retro fitting projectors that dont need to be...those are factory mounting postions for factory Lexus HID projectors with AFS...they will simply bolt up to that housing....all you need to do is bake open your factory HID headlights and remove the projector and install in the depo headlights... thank you for opening those depos...I will definitely be buying these friday..and just swap over my AFS HID projector.
Old 03-05-18, 04:53 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

^ because if you're already opening up the housing why not replace the projectors with something better entirely? There are a few threads on CL with members complaining of the light output with OEM HID projectors as well so throwing those in there wouldn't be the best outcome either, added to the fact that you would also need to cut open the OEM housing as well to take out the OEM projectors and transfer everything. I'm sure the better light output can make up for the lack of AFS. You gain some you lose some in the end whichever route you decide. AFS is nice to have but it's not an end all without it.
Old 03-05-18, 05:04 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Have you been following any of these post? No the halogen projectors that come with these are garbage. The OEM projectors (HID or halogen)are not much better due to side mount bulbs.

These have specially designed brackets from depo that accommodates the halogen. 2011+ DRL headlights never came halogen. I assume the might have used the brackets from 2006-2010 halogen with different high beam reflector. But unless I had a side by side of two, I won’t know.

OEM 2011+ DRL came with swivel projectors (possibly same as 2006-2010 HID but with no swivel functionality. I’ve seen the bracket and posted a photo in this thread. It is nothing like this bracket. To put the OEM HID projectors in here would be effort for mediocre output.

OBE1 and I chose to do better projectors into these. I went LED to avoid cutting hole in back. I am willing to sacrifice output (still better than my OEM 2007 HID with CBIs) for LED and cutoff line.

Obe1 chose better width, output, cutoff vs his old halogen setup with PnP HID.

Most of our efforts isn’t for faith of heart.

Originally Posted by GymRat86
So you guys are retro fitting projectors that dont need to be...those are factory mounting postions for factory Lexus HID projectors with AFS...they will simply bolt up to that housing....all you need to do is bake open your factory HID headlights and remove the projector and install in the depo headlights... thank you for opening those depos...I will definitely be buying these friday..and just swap over my AFS HID projector.
Old 03-06-18, 06:34 AM
GymRat86
Rookie

LMFAO...the 2008 ISF I own with the 5000k bulbs has amazing light throw.. 1000x better than that garbage projector that comes in the depo housing...and the 06-10 HID projector has the same 3 square holes as a bolt pattern, been following this thread from the 3rd post here... you wouldn' need to cut factory headlights, just bake them open and remove the factory HID projector bolt back into the depo housing, even the factor ave motor has a mounting hole location in the depo headlight...cutting a hole in the back of the headlight to retro fit then have to run new ballast and bulbs is crazy for someone that already has all the parts to have HID stuff to install in this headlight to make it just as good as factory
Old 03-06-18, 09:16 AM
GymRat86
Rookie

link below
Old 03-06-18, 09:17 AM
GymRat86
Rookie

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-retrofit.html
Old 03-06-18, 09:48 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Depo straight mount bracket.

Oem 2011+ bracket from B16A’s build. Notice the swivel mounts for AFS style projector.

Oem 2006-2010 halogen bracket from B16A’s build on CL.
LMFAO...the 2008 ISF I own with the 5000k bulbs has amazing light throw.. 1000x better than that garbage projector that comes in the depo housing...and the 06-10 HID projector has the same 3 square holes as a bolt pattern, been following this thread from the 3rd post here... you wouldn' need to cut factory headlights, just bake them open and remove the factory HID projector bolt back into the depo housing, even the factor ave motor has a mounting hole location in the depo headlight...cutting a hole in the back of the headlight to retro fit then have to run new ballast and bulbs is crazy for someone that already has all the parts to have HID stuff to install in this headlight to make it just as good as factory
mount is different. OEM AFS projectors won’t fit. I’ve followed mahcah and JVX’s builds from 10 years ago and I’ve seen how they progressed. Also hang out on HIDPlanet a lot so I’ve seen these all done.

The OEM side mount might be good for some but barely pass muster for most HEadlight Junkies.

Last edited by sinister2c; 03-06-18 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-06-18, 10:19 AM
sinister2c
Racer

LMFAO...the 2008 ISF I own with the 5000k bulbs has amazing light throw.. 1000x better than that garbage projector that comes in the depo housing...
agree that the OEM (HID and halogen) is way better than Depo but they aren’t great vs the aftermarket HID projectors now on the market.

I run Osram CBIs in D4S, these are $190 bulbs and cream of the crop. But next to my wife’s Sienna with Morimoto 4TL-R retro running $50 Morimoto XBs with Denso slims, my cars output, width/distance and cutoff is crap vs the Sienna. I’ve got a very clean and clear housing lens too.

My my main reason for this retro was the DRL and my chance to experiment with LED Projector. I didn’t want to cut big hole like all the other retros.

Quick Reply: DEPO Headlights