IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DEPO Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-18, 06:32 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Here is my video of baking headlights open, review of internal components, and fitting my iLens LED projectors.

The following 2 users liked this post by sinister2c:
Aspect (03-07-18), dyongg (03-07-18)
Old 03-07-18, 06:32 AM
AlexSweISF
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just read the whole thread. Still cant find the answer. What IF I buy the depo ones and plug them straight in on my 08 ISF. What will happen? Will they work as they should with just the need to pull the fuse for the AFS?

OEM HID w AFS.
Old 03-07-18, 07:11 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Originally Posted by AlexSweISF
Just read the whole thread. Still cant find the answer. What IF I buy the depo ones and plug them straight in on my 08 ISF. What will happen? Will they work as they should with just the need to pull the fuse for the AFS?

OEM HID w AFS.
Yes they would work but you will have crappy halogen output and color. You can do a PnP HID kit but that would be crappy too. Need to pull AFS to prevent flashing AFS light.

You can also buy the DEPO HID crash replacement versions...I think those are built more to the OEM spec than these halogen $400 ones. They are over twice the price but you get HID projectors and correct wiring for LED DRL (need to buy the OEM cap/harness ~$25 each).

These are designed as the aftermarket crash replacements. They don't come with ballasts/auto level motors though. You will have transplant your OEM ones into them (see Lam Le's video on YouTube for DIY).

www.ebay.com/itm/HID-Headlights-Headlamps-NEW-Pair-Set-for-2011-11-Lexus-IS250-IS350

I just saw mahcah's thread from last year and he opened the OEM HID headlights and noted that the AFS motors may fit (I personally think the DRL hardware will interfere.). Someone would need to experiment with it.

If I had the OEM 2011+ housings, I would try but I would also transplant my 2006-2010 HID harness with AFS to the 2011+ if I tried the AFS transplant. The DRL would need to be rewired, but those actually are on a separate harness/cap so for pre 2011, you have to rig wiring either way.

Last edited by sinister2c; 03-29-21 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-07-18, 09:07 AM
Drpower
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sinister2c
Yes they would work but you will have crappy halogen output and color. You can do a PnP HID kit but that would be crappy too. Need to pull AFS to prevent flashing AFS light.

You can also buy the DEPO HID crash replacement versions...I think those are built more to the OEM spec than these halogen $400 ones. They are over twice the price but you get HID projectors and correct wiring for LED DRL (need to buy the OEM cap/harness ~$25 each).

These are designed as the aftermarket crash replacements. They don't come with ballasts/auto level motors though. You will have transplant your OEM ones into them (see Lam Le's video on YouTube for DIY).

www.ebay.com/itm/HID-Headlights-Headlamps-NEW-Pair-Set-for-2011-11-Lexus-IS250-IS350

I just saw mahcah's thread from last year and he opened the OEM HID headlights and noted that the AFS motors may fit (I personally think the DRL hardware will interfere.). Someone would need to experiment with it.

If I had the OEM 2011+ housings, I would try but I would also transplant my 2006-2010 HID harness with AFS to the 2011+ if I tried the AFS transplant. The DRL would need to be rewired, but those actually are on a separate harness/cap so for pre 2011, you have to rig wiring either way.
I have a follow-up question. Do I need a harness to have the DRL led's work as they do on the OEM led headlights? or there is a customized wiring that needs to get done? I have halogens
Old 03-07-18, 12:51 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Originally Posted by Drpower
I have a follow-up question. Do I need a harness to have the DRL led's work as they do on the OEM led headlights? or there is a customized wiring that needs to get done? I have halogens
There are several OEM thread about this. You need to repin (swap locations) the new 2011+ H/L harness to do it at 100%, others have different relay methods to have it dim with H/L on.

For these Depo Halogen DRLs, you need to wire to ACC power, these only come one output, unless you do an aftermarket china controller. I will have video of my experience there later tonight or tomorrow. They are currently wired to parking light pins.
Old 03-08-18, 07:09 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Here is my DRL controller experiment with these headlights. I also took apart the DRL assembly to see the build.

The DRL board on these are NOT like OEM or Depo OE Replacement.

On the OEM board, there is like 8 wires that go from the controller to the actual LED board.

The OEM/aftermarket HID replacement versions have a separate circuit control board.

The following users liked this post:
Drpower (03-08-18)
Old 03-08-18, 05:39 PM
Omega99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to jump on these but I have a question. How would the DRL strip work with my 2006 non-hid halogen car? The big issue is I had the DRL option disabled at the dealer. The DRL option on my year car was the high beams running at half power if I'm not mistaken. Would that matter with these?
Old 03-08-18, 05:45 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Omega99
I'd love to jump on these but I have a question. How would the DRL strip work with my 2006 non-hid halogen car? The big issue is I had the DRL option disabled at the dealer. The DRL option on my year car was the high beams running at half power if I'm not mistaken. Would that matter with these?
The LED DRL strip on these aftermarket headlights typically only turn on when the low beams or high beams. You'll have to rewire it like above for it to be on all the time. The standard DRL would just be high beam 50 percent if enabled
Omega99 (03-09-18)
Old 03-08-18, 07:15 PM
obe1
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi guy, glad to help. Your are correct my 2013 does use Hi beams at lower output. I disabled my own DRL lights on my car, oem halogen non- hid headlamps. I then opened my headlights and installed Hid Bulbs and halos as DRL and wired the Halos to come in via Park lamps ... removed the 194 little bulbs that where also in the hign beam reflectors that came on also.

Ok, oem car 2013 IS250 and changed the oem halogen lights to what I just discribed. Version 2.0

Version 3.0, I bought Depo headlight, opened them and installed aftermarket projectors. The DRL light strip modeling the 2011 + cars with oem HID headlights with AFS. The DRL lamps are tied to Park Lights Power circuit. There is a separate wire to the plug to the car , pre wired that gets power when the Park lights are turned on. The go round wire ties into the turn signal harness in the headlamp wiring harness.

I have broke out the DRL ground the power wires on my version 3.0 Depo lights, I am using an aftermarket DRL controller that will power the DRL at normal brightness as they would left alone, and use this module to flash the DRL strip when the turn signal is activated. The next circuit the module does is dim the Power to the Depo DRL system when the headlights are turned on. I have to tap the wire to the aftermarket controller to the Headlamp or Park light circuit to make the dim option work.

I am in the process of completing my Ver 3.0 today. I have the lights without lens mounted in the car now, and lens off. To adjust the rotation of the new projectors to make sure they are level with each other.
And wire this aftermarket controller to my car. I have not completed the wiring to my car yet, I have just got the light / low hi beam working with the Park, blinker so far.

Tomorrow my plan is to make the connections to the car with the aftermarket controller . I bench tested this and all works. Now make it work on the car. I then will remove the headlamps version 3.0 and clean / bake and install the lens. Then install the completed version 3.0 lights into my car. I aimed the headlamps today, up down and side to side. One is a little off on rotation and need to Drimel some clearance to make the rotoation adjustment. Getting closer ... to be done.
Tomorrow if the stars line up, I should be driving my car with completed version 3.0

Of you send me your email, or reply to mine I can send you some pics I haven’t posted on CL yet.

Tex

obe1_home@yahoo.com

Just a recap. You want the Non Hid DRL lights disabled to use the DEPO light anyway and the Park lights power the DRL Stip as is when you install these light

Hope that answered your questions
Omega99 (03-09-18)
Old 03-08-18, 08:19 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Finally finished my retrofit, not depo but just as an output reference - morimoto M led

Last edited by Aspect; 03-08-18 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-08-18, 09:42 PM
obe1
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice, I see the M. Thanks for the update.

Hopefully tomorrow I will finish mine.
Thursday I installed my mounted projectors lights, without the lens in the car. I aligned them today left/ right, up/down and aligning the rotation when I took a break for the evening. Hopefully tomorrow I will finish the project. To complete the 3.0 version retrofit I am installing a DRL light module to control the Depo DRL strip lights with the key on, hi low with park / headlight on/ off, and flash the DRL with the turn signal. I have broke out the wires to the DRL from the Harness, to connect to the DRL module then mount the external ballast, pull the headlamps back out and clean and bake time. Hopefully Put them back in the car to be done Friday..

congradulatikns !!!

Tex
Aspect (03-08-18)
Old 03-09-18, 07:27 AM
romanenko
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello everyone, I just posted a video of me putting the Non-HID DEPO headlights on my 06 IS350 with HID. Hope it helps someone.

The following 2 users liked this post by romanenko:
petersu33 (03-09-18), primavera (12-11-19)
Old 03-09-18, 07:37 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Time to get a Techstream Cable and disable those OEM highbeam DRLs.

Originally Posted by romanenko
Hello everyone, I just posted a video of me putting the Non-HID DEPO headlights on my 06 IS350 with HID. Hope it helps someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-wUAKtAuiU
Old 03-09-18, 08:04 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by romanenko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-wUAKtAuiU
Thanks for the upload. Could you post some output of the lights at farther distances? Night time preferably.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 03-09-18 at 08:09 AM.
romanenko (03-09-18)
Old 03-09-18, 08:06 AM
GUILE88
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Defective RH light

My order arrived and there is a piece of Styrofoam in the lens! ARRGHH. hopefully sell will just replace the RH headlight.

Quick Reply: DEPO Headlights