IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Check VSC, abs, trac control, and brake lights on after alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 02:17 PM
Huggies
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Check VSC, abs, trac control, and brake lights on after alignment

Got an alignment done on my 08 is250 after getting my wheels mounted on and not even after 20 miles of driving, my check vsc message, brake, abs, and trac control lights are on. I looked it up and read some threads on the similar issues, but no luck so far. I've went to autozone and oreillys to get my codes check but they cant pull anything up. I read something about not getting a steering angle reset after the alignment...but I'm not exactly sure what is wrong with my car even if thats the case. And its not the gas cap. I do feel a difference when driving. The car isnt as responsive, doesnt cut corners as well, and when I'm on the highway driving on one of those ridge things (i have no idea what its called), my car is a lot harder to control. I have an OBD2 scanner coming in the mail soon, but I wanted to see if anyone has any input on whats going on.
Old 01-14-18, 06:43 PM
rwhtide
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Huggies
Got an alignment done on my 08 is250 after getting my wheels mounted on and not even after 20 miles of driving, my check vsc message, brake, abs, and trac control lights are on. I looked it up and read some threads on the similar issues, but no luck so far. I've went to autozone and oreillys to get my codes check but they cant pull anything up. I read something about not getting a steering angle reset after the alignment...but I'm not exactly sure what is wrong with my car even if thats the case. And its not the gas cap. I do feel a difference when driving. The car isnt as responsive, doesnt cut corners as well, and when I'm on the highway driving on one of those ridge things (i have no idea what its called), my car is a lot harder to control. I have an OBD2 scanner coming in the mail soon, but I wanted to see if anyone has any input on whats going on.
check ABS/speed sensors!! I just had this problem, did a thread about it. you have one in each wheel hub (x4). one may have gotten damaged. I did a hub removal and set all of those warning lights off. check sensors, they don't have to be a costly repair; many re $100+, but the pair I bought for $40 work perfectly so far. sensors is located behind the dust guard on all four wheels. fronts look different than rears. rears are on top of suspension knuckle behind the hub and dust gaurd
Old 01-14-18, 06:45 PM
rwhtide
Rookie

and unless you have a Toyota specific or special code scanner (cant remember the specific names), you wont be able to read these codes. this is apparently a "chassis code" and will not be picked up by generic code scanners. autozone scanners pull mostly engine -specific codes
Old 01-15-18, 01:33 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

How many miles have you put on those new wheels/tires? Liking they just didn't correctly code the TPMS to the car. Happened to me as well a while back.
Old 01-15-18, 11:02 PM
Huggies
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
How many miles have you put on those new wheels/tires? Liking they just didn't correctly code the TPMS to the car. Happened to me as well a while back.
on the wheels? currently about 100. I bought them new. The tires? Not more than 1000 on the one I've had on the longest so far (so many nails rip) . I haven't had a problem until the wheels and alignment being done. The wheels are lexus wheels for a newer IS model, so I dont think they are whats causing the issue
Old 01-16-18, 12:28 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Huggies
on the wheels? currently about 100. I bought them new. The tires? Not more than 1000 on the one I've had on the longest so far (so many nails rip) . I haven't had a problem until the wheels and alignment being done. The wheels are lexus wheels for a newer IS model, so I dont think they are whats causing the issue
So after 10+ miles, you should have gotten the error codes if the TPMS were not linked correctly. Assuming that, you can cross that off the list. Yes, definitely look to see if any of those ABS sensor lines might have been pulled out or cut.
Old 01-17-18, 12:04 PM
markjustus
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Abs sensors i. The front! Easy to rip out of the plug!
Old 01-17-18, 12:36 PM
rwhtide
Rookie

Originally Posted by markjustus
^^^truth. just did this myself. you can see a pic of the sensor, itself, on this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...lications.html . I didn't have to redo any of the abs wiring, but I did have to reinstall the sensor by itself, which was a PITA. thought I was gunna break it (which I did, and had to, when removing old one). if you need a new sensor, when you search they come up as like $100+. do not buy those unless you wanna waste the $$. I got cheap ones that work just fine from carparts.com
Old 01-17-18, 12:54 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by markjustus
yup, did that when I installed my coilovers. had to solder the wires back. felt like a surgeon.