IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rear RH Door Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-18, 06:28 AM
Viru
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Question Rear RH Door Issue

Hey all, I've been a spectator to the forum for a while, but finally joined to officiate my acquisition of a 07 IS250! It's been a great ride so far, but I've been troubleshooting an issue I'd like your input on.

Basically, the Rear Right door can't be operated remotely. I am unable to control the window and lock from the driver's door, passenger's door, or key fob. Rather, I need to manually lock/unlock it, and can only operate the window using the switch on that door itself. I suspect the issue is linked somehow, because the window and lock have the same symptoms, but am not certain what it could be.

So far, I've check all of the fuses, and found no issues there. I'd appreciate your thoughts!
Old 01-16-18, 09:41 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Weird that’s it’s both. If it was one or other alone, would suspect the motor or switch. The door lock motor mechanism is known to have issues. Being able to operate window at the door means that there is power getting to door. Maybe have to take panel off and check all connections thru the B pillar.
Old 01-16-18, 10:40 AM
AyRow89
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Viru
Hey all, I've been a spectator to the forum for a while, but finally joined to officiate my acquisition of a 07 IS250! It's been a great ride so far, but I've been troubleshooting an issue I'd like your input on.

Basically, the Rear Right door can't be operated remotely. I am unable to control the window and lock from the driver's door, passenger's door, or key fob. Rather, I need to manually lock/unlock it, and can only operate the window using the switch on that door itself. I suspect the issue is linked somehow, because the window and lock have the same symptoms, but am not certain what it could be.

So far, I've check all of the fuses, and found no issues there. I'd appreciate your thoughts!
Have the same issue with my '08. Literally the only problem I've had with the car. Also, my interior light doesn't turn on only when that door is open. Hope you (we) get a solution on this thread.
Old 01-16-18, 11:08 AM
Viru
Driver

Originally Posted by sinister2c
Weird that’s it’s both. If it was one or other alone, would suspect the motor or switch. The door lock motor mechanism is known to have issues. Being able to operate window at the door means that there is power getting to door. Maybe have to take panel off and check all connections thru the B pillar.
Probably a good next step. I'm hoping it's not 2 separate issues.

Originally Posted by AyRow89
Have the same issue with my '08. Literally the only problem I've had with the car. Also, my interior light doesn't turn on only when that door is open. Hope you (we) get a solution on this thread.
Interesting (yet unfortunate) coincidence! I think my interior light turns on, but will double check. Have you done any troubleshooting or made any discoveries so far? Maybe we can divide-and-conquer for a solution.
Old 01-16-18, 11:11 AM
AyRow89
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting (yet unfortunate) coincidence! I think my interior light turns on, but will double check. Have you done any troubleshooting or made any discoveries so far? Maybe we can divide-and-conquer for a solution.
The only thing I remember is that I noticed it (window switch not working) when purchasing the car at a used car lot. They replaced the switch on the driver's door and it worked. Now, it works intermittently depending on what mood my car is in that day. Never came up with a concrete solution for both the switch and interior light...
Old 01-17-18, 01:31 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

One thing to check, in the dark or at night. Does the drivers door switch for that window have the illumination in the dot? That is an indicator that the electronics auto for that window is charged and working.
The following users liked this post:
Viru (01-17-18)
Old 01-17-18, 02:37 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,513 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Sounds like seperate issues.
First reset that window. Use that switch to manual it down all the way and keep switch down until window clicks. Let up. Now manual up holding switch up until its at the top and clicks.
Test window from drivers door. Did it fix that issue?

Based upon fuses, power windows and doors are not powered by a single source. That said look this door over very close. Is it original? Does it have a matching serial #?
Is there any paint defects inside or out that leads you to think it has been replaced?
The following users liked this post:
Viru (01-17-18)
Old 01-19-18, 08:58 AM
Viru
Driver

Originally Posted by AyRow89
The only thing I remember is that I noticed it (window switch not working) when purchasing the car at a used car lot. They replaced the switch on the driver's door and it worked. Now, it works intermittently depending on what mood my car is in that day. Never came up with a concrete solution for both the switch and interior light...
My interior light does operate as usual with that door, just checked.

Originally Posted by sinister2c
One thing to check, in the dark or at night. Does the drivers door switch for that window have the illumination in the dot? That is an indicator that the electronics auto for that window is charged and working.
The switch light comes on.

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Sounds like seperate issues.
First reset that window. Use that switch to manual it down all the way and keep switch down until window clicks. Let up. Now manual up holding switch up until its at the top and clicks.
Test window from drivers door. Did it fix that issue?

Based upon fuses, power windows and doors are not powered by a single source. That said look this door over very close. Is it original? Does it have a matching serial #?
Is there any paint defects inside or out that leads you to think it has been replaced?
No luck with the reset, but the door appears completely original. Even the wiring harness has the original factory label on it.
Old 01-19-18, 09:00 AM
Viru
Driver

Another note: when pressing the lock/unlock switch, there is no audible click from this door. I've taken the door apart to discover that the lock cable moves freely and there is voltage response (to switch operation) in the wire harness - just no response from the door motor.
Old 01-19-18, 09:25 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Its not unheard of for yoda locks to die. It is odd one door has both these issues.

Recap: Lock and unlock is via manual movement at that door only?

Strange the window reset didnt work. When is the last time these things did work? And when was the last time the battery was disconnect?
Old 01-19-18, 11:31 AM
Viru
Driver

Its not unheard of for yoda locks to die. It is odd one door has both these issues.

Recap: Lock and unlock is via manual movement at that door only?

Strange the window reset didnt work. When is the last time these things did work? And when was the last time the battery was disconnect?
Yep, manual movement at the door. The front door switches and remote don't work for this door.

Not sure, as this issue has existed since I bought the car a few weeks ago.
Old 01-19-18, 02:06 PM
Viru
Driver

Update: fixed the window issue! Replaced the existing switch with one from a junkyard, reset it as per your instructions, and voila!

Now for the door issue, I'm leaning in favor of the actuator/motor diagnosis. However, couldn't find a place willing to sell me that part separate from the door, so it seems I'll be waiting for an eBay replacement.
Old 01-22-18, 10:23 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Just don't buy the cheap junk off fleabay. An IS-F guy recently did and none of the 4 worked like the oem did. He had to open all four doors and replace the actuators a second time.

Although he did swap the DC motors from the cheap junk into two of the dead OEM units and got them working.

Look on rockauto.....
Old 01-22-18, 10:30 AM
Viru
Driver

Just don't buy the cheap junk off fleabay. An IS-F guy recently did and none of the 4 worked like the oem did. He had to open all four doors and replace the actuators a second time.

Although he did swap the DC motors from the cheap junk into two of the dead OEM units and got them working.

Look on rockauto.....
Thanks for the heads up - I'll see what I can find!

Probably not going to be doing surgery to replace the DC motors myself though - rather just buy an assembled and functional part.
Old 03-15-18, 06:03 PM
Viru
Driver

Update: Fixed (for now)! Ordered an OEM actuator off eBay, took 30 minutes to swap it out in an Advance Auto parking lot, and was on my way.

Who knew having 4 fully functional doors could be so satisfying.