IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS won't start Help me!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-18 | 10:41 AM
burylex
Driver School Candidate

Default IS won't start Help me!!

Hi, everybody, i appriciate you to let me be part of this lexus family.

I need a help to fix my IS, unexpectely my car wont start, i got energy on my dash, my battery is new (i prooved another one), simply when i press the start button with the green light, the needles moves a round but nothings happens :

No sound
No crank
nothing happens

Please i will be grateful if you help me to fix my car.

THANKS!!
Old 01-31-18 | 11:47 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

First step is to check all fuses, fusable links under the hood and in the cabin. What is your skill level?

This car has "fusable links" in a long strip right by the battery under a clear cover. Look for intact "Z" link. Then under a black cover by the battery and another on the left wheel well. Pay close attention to ones labeled EFI, INJ, IG....
In the cabin on the left side is another group. Inspect them all and report back.
The following users liked this post:
burylex (01-31-18)
Old 01-31-18 | 01:41 PM
Gville350

Check to see if power is getting to the starter. If you've got power, then the starter itself is bad (or the solenoid). OR, if no power if getting to the starter, then you'll have to track down why...which could be fuse-related.

Oh, since this new battery has been installed, have you been able to start the car at all? Did someone accidentally put the + cable on the - battery terminal and visa versa?
The following users liked this post:
burylex (01-31-18)
Old 01-31-18 | 01:56 PM
burylex
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, for your quick response

i verify all fuse with a tester and all from engine bay are good, inside the car the right box are ok, but the drivers side fusebox its not powered when i test it

i
Old 01-31-18 | 02:42 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

I have posts with pictures of the fuse boxes under the hood if you do a search. The buss bar fusable link with the clear lid is visual inspection only unless you want to break the lid off.

FWIW the starter is on the left side and testing the terminals for power is not easy as it has a cover on it... Battery power and the solenoid power wire are in a protective wrap behind the engine and route directly to the battery. Well, the main cable does at least.
Old 01-31-18 | 03:01 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

I'll be honest and say I'm making an assumption here. In the fuse box by the battery is a purple relay labeled starter. The assumption is that:
- On a working vehicle you could hear and maybe feel that relay click when the start button is pushed.
- With that relay removed, you could put a test lamp or meter on the correct pin (the one driving the coil) and measure voltage. That said the ground side could have other interlock devices for anti theft.
- If you knew which pole of the relay goes to the starter you could inject 12v w/a wire and verify the starter and its solenoid work. This can likely be determined by looking at the relays diagram. When its contacts close it supplies 12v to the starters solenoid.
Old 02-02-18 | 10:13 AM
arafas
Pit Crew

Hello, I had a similar issue but my lights on the dash wouldnt come on the green would light up but nada. I hooked a computer to said that cant connect to ECU. Then i remembered i had the mechanic manual that i used to troubleshoot the issue and it was my fuel pressure sensor was bad. I unplugged plugged back in started then shut off. So you could check that, but sounds like could be starter issue. I have an .ISO file that i could send via email if its small enough got check what the size is.