IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rebuilt alternator in and 2 weeks later battery died out again

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-18, 02:40 PM
Michael481
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt alternator in and 2 weeks later battery died out again

I did my alternator 2 weeks ago, car worked fine but traction control light did come on. But my battery is dying again, and power steering is going out, is the alternator bad? Or is there a fuse i can check out?

-mikey
Old 02-01-18, 05:58 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Question

I get it, you want help. May I suggest ONE thread with all the details?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...this-part.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-problem.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-sensor-b.html

That said, yes, there is a fuse for the power steering and I have no clue why but somehow people pop this fuse but its never clear how. There is a fuse panel by the battery. Pull the cover and look at the inside of the cover. Find the EPS fuse in the buss bar, is it open? See this thread...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#&gid=1&pid=3

As for the battery being dead, you need it load tested and the alternator checked. If both of those pass, you're gonna need a hand held meter to do some at home testing unless you want to haul it off to the dealership....
The following users liked this post:
Boatman1 (02-02-18)
Old 02-02-18, 06:48 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I hope you fully charged your battery before you put the new alternator in. Charging a dead battery with a new alternator is a big no-no. The load is too much and can damage the new alternator. Trust me from my personal experience. If you did, you probably damaged the new one. Charge your battery and head off to your local autozone/advance/whatever and have a charging system test done.

Always, always charge the battery and have it tested when you replace your alternator.
Old 02-02-18, 05:45 PM
Boatman1
Driver School Candidate

I need help with a similar problem. New battery a month ago. Driving 8 miles today and pulling in the driveway and the power steering went out and the dash board screen went off and stereo would not come back on.
Then back on and off? A couple days before my key pod stated on the instrument panel low battery?
Power steering fuse - Alternator?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 02-03-18, 10:43 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

I'm finding that every three months or so car complains about fob not detected yet under load its little cell yests fine at 3 volts. Spinning the battery restores connection.

What do you mean, then back on and off? What did this?

As for the Power Steering, you saying its dead? Check the fusable links in the clear panel. EPS is 80amps on mine and thats the electronic power steering.

I strongly recomend you test ATC blade fuses by pulling them and do a visual. If you know the circuit is not powered an ohm meter. If the circuit is powered, both sides should have battery voltage when using ground as a reference.

Get a 12v test lamp and hand held meter. Life saving diagnostic tools.
Old 02-03-18, 07:17 PM
Michael481
Driver School Candidate

Default Fuses

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
I'm finding that every three months or so car complains about fob not detected yet under load its little cell yests fine at 3 volts. Spinning the battery restores connection.

As for the Power Steering, you saying its dead? Check the fusable links in the clear panel. EPS is 80amps on mine and thats the electronic power steering.

I strongly recomend you test ATC blade fuses by pulling them and do a visual. If you know the circuit is not powered an ohm meter. If the circuit is powered, both sides should have battery voltage when using ground as a reference.

how do ibget access to those fuses in the clear box, any pics or videos?
Old 02-03-18, 07:44 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...k-removal.html

Last edited by MikeFig82; 07-26-18 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-04-18, 06:23 AM
Boatman1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport

I let the Is250 sit overnight started it the next morning and everything was normal?? Went to Auto Z and the t tested the Battery (low) and than the alternator. It was not charging. So they said to replace the Alternator???
Thanks for the Feedback. Do you agree it's that. The Battery is 2 weeks old.
Old 02-04-18, 01:34 PM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Boatman1

I let the Is250 sit overnight started it the next morning and everything was normal?? Went to Auto Z and the t tested the Battery (low) and than the alternator. It was not charging. So they said to replace the Alternator???
Thanks for the Feedback. Do you agree it's that. The Battery is 2 weeks old.
Yes. The test they run is pretty fail proof. Get a new alternator. Recharge your battery before you start the car with the new alternator.