Old 02-12-18, 11:33 AM
Beltayn
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 IS250 AWD transmission replacement woes

So:
I got an engine warning light.
Took it in. Code is "Shift Solenoid D"
Transmission shop wants $4300 to redo entire transmission. Said they dropped the pan to take a look and everything needs to be replaced: Torque converter, valve body, solenoids, hamster wheel and hamster.
ANOTHER transmission shop said that unless the first bunch did a complete teardown of the box they wouldn't know that. Offered to tear it down for $600ish bucks, but if first shop is correct then it would cost the same to replace everything.
Cost is basically a new transmission from Lexus + labor for installing it.

I looked online and I can find a 'refurbished' transmission for around 600 bucks from a car with much lower mileage than mine (in one case 22k miles) mine has 180k+. The replacement transmission comes completely drained of fluid. (Important). Two shops quoted me around 875 bucks to switch the transmissions for me, but will offer no guarantee as it's not their parts. So in the end probably around 1600 bucks with the cost of the replacement transmission.

There is a DIY shop near me that has great equipment, hoists, all tools and will offer assistance. I'm thinking of having a replacement transmission shipped there and doing it myself. What I'm worried about is replacing the fluid which looks to be a major hassle.

Any advice or direction on this? Has anyone had any experience with buying 'refurbished' transmissions online? Anything to watch for?
Old 02-14-18, 07:22 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

What the heck is refurbished $for $600$... That is scary in itself.
Sounds like the find a used doner, pressure wash it and call it done. You really need some details there.

A $600 used trans is one thing, so maybe they throw a shift shaft seal, torque converter seal, and output shaft seal in it and call it Refurb but clearly they are not opening it up for that cost.

Dont be afraid of the fluid level thing. Grab mini vsc cable and software, it tell you the temp. The thing is you need to flush all new/used components.

PM me later or look at my other trans related posts if you get serious about DIY. A rwd would be 4 hour job if it had a dipstick. Depending on your skills and the level of rusty exhaust components, figure an 8 hr job for AWD newb.
Old 02-14-18, 08:46 AM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Here is a small guide I did when I was doing a fluid change on my IS350. It is elementary and can be done in 1 hour with basic tools.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ne-report.html

If you find that you require a used transmission, go to the following site and find one at a wrecker www.car-parts.com. You can get a ow milage transmission for around 1k and if need be some yards can skid and ship it to you for about $200 bucks. There have been quite a few people here that have swapedtheir transmissions in their driveway on their back. It's not an easy job but doable. Get some help or use a self serve shop and it will go a lot easier if you have a hoist.
Old 05-17-21, 06:18 PM
1965vwvert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 is250 auto rwd transmission swap

I cam across your response to a post a few years ago. My daughters is250 trans quit and wanted to do a swap. Not sure what questions to ask sellers. I want to get this car through her last year of high school before getting her a newer one. Any advise? I can do the work, just not sure where to start.

thanks for any help.
Originally Posted by 2013FSport
What the heck is refurbished $for $600$... That is scary in itself.
Sounds like the find a used doner, pressure wash it and call it done. You really need some details there.

A $600 used trans is one thing, so maybe they throw a shift shaft seal, torque converter seal, and output shaft seal in it and call it Refurb but clearly they are not opening it up for that cost.

Dont be afraid of the fluid level thing. Grab mini vsc cable and software, it tell you the temp. The thing is you need to flush all new/used components.

PM me later or look at my other trans related posts if you get serious about DIY. A rwd would be 4 hour job if it had a dipstick. Depending on your skills and the level of rusty exhaust components, figure an 8 hr job for AWD newb.