IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oil Looks Uneven On Dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-18, 09:07 AM
AndaleFish
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phillip197
A modification that some people have used, myself included is to use sandpaper/emery paper or a file and carefuly sand/file the flat metal area between the two dimples. I found that afterwards a more accurate reading can be taken.
nearly every other auto manufacturer uses a rough surface on their dipstick in order to allow the oil to adhere to so as it is easier to read. Toyota/lexus had to do it differently, the same issue exists when trying to read a 2008 corolla.
I think it’s hilarious that Toyota can build some of the most well made & reliable cars but they can’t make a dipstick that works well. Is there a link to a thread on this modification you can provide me? Or any other info?
Old 03-18-18, 09:20 AM
Brownd3max
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by AndaleFish

I think it’s hilarious that Toyota can build some of the most well made & reliable cars but they can’t make a dipstick that works well. Is there a link to a thread on this modification you can provide me? Or any other info?
Dude- you really don't need a link or video to do this. Just remove the dipstick, wipe it dry, take some 1000 grit sandpaper/emerycloth rub down the area in question to roughen it up. Then wipe it clean, and replace. Simple!
Old 03-18-18, 10:09 PM
AndaleFish
Rookie

Originally Posted by Brownd3max
Dude- you really don't need a link or video to do this. Just remove the dipstick, wipe it dry, take some 1000 grit sandpaper/emerycloth rub down the area in question to roughen it up. Then wipe it clean, and replace. Simple!
Thanks, I will do just that. I don’t necessarily need a link I was just wondering if there was one.
Old 03-26-18, 05:57 PM
AndaleFish
Rookie

Hey all, just thought I would say thanks for the helpful replies and that my dipstick is reading great now
Old 03-26-18, 06:16 PM
phillip197
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great, yeah makes life so much easier. Can not understand why Toyota did not do this in the first place.
Old 03-26-18, 06:43 PM
AndaleFish
Rookie

I just have one more question. Now that my dipstick is accurate I am noticing all of my oil readings are about a quarter inch (front side) to a half inch (back side) above the full line. I gave my mechanic 7 quarts of oil and told him to fill it with only 6.5 quarts but it seems like he just ignored my request and filled it with all 7 quarts anyways. I am going to drain .5 quarts but I want to know if .5 over is going to be a problem for this engine as I have been driving it semi hard recently.
Old 03-26-18, 11:33 PM
phillip197
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you checking the oil when cold or at operating temp?
Old 03-27-18, 12:16 AM
soulific
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

A modification that some people have used, myself included is to use sandpaper/emery paper or a file and carefuly sand/file the flat metal area between the two dimples. I found that afterwards a more accurate reading can be taken.
nearly every other auto manufacturer uses a rough surface on their dipstick in order to allow the oil to adhere to so as it is easier to read. Toyota/lexus had to do it differently, the same issue exists when trying to read a 2008 corolla.

Ive been having the same issue with my oil. Thanks for this suggestion, immm try it and hopefully solves the issue like original poster .
Old 03-27-18, 09:28 AM
AndaleFish
Rookie

Are you checking the oil when cold or at operating temp?
Both. The readings are still above the full mark when the oil is warm but the level is just slightly less on each side of the dipstick (front and back) vs when checking cold. At worst it’s a half inch over full line (cold)...is that a big deal for the 2gr-fse? It’s probably not as I’ve only driven it a few hundred miles like this but like I said I’ve been driving it sort of hard and i get worried and obsess over these things
Old 03-27-18, 09:31 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Both. The readings are still above the full mark when the oil is warm but the level is just slightly less on each side of the dipstick (front and back) vs when checking cold. At worst it’s a half inch over full line (cold)...is that a big deal for the 2gr-fse? It’s probably not as I’ve only driven it a few hundred miles like this but like I said I’ve been driving it sort of hard and i get worried and obsess over these things
I've driven my AWD with 7qts. No problems up until the next 5k mile change.
Old 03-27-18, 09:44 AM
AndaleFish
Rookie

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
I've driven my AWD with 7qts. No problems up until the next 5k mile change.
where does that read on the dipstick for you?
Old 03-27-18, 10:13 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

I'm not sure just maybe 1/8 over the top level indicator. As I only did it once.
Old 03-27-18, 10:45 AM
Brownd3max
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Talking

Just my 2 cents- A "half inch over" like you said, means approx. 1/2 quart over. On some motors it's not a big deal. On others however, it is. Windage, frothing, leaks, etc. Being cursed with OCD, I know I would bring it down to the full mark. But that's just silly old me.
Old 03-27-18, 10:56 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Just drain it from the oil filter housing. Then just bring it back up till the full mark. You'll probly loose about 3/4 QT give or take. You could try the square plug first, but most likely it's siezed up if hasn't been removed in awhile. The only option is to fully remove the full cap all together.
Old 03-27-18, 11:23 AM
AndaleFish
Rookie

Originally Posted by Brownd3max
Just my 2 cents- A "half inch over" like you said, means approx. 1/2 quart over. On some motors it's not a big deal. On others however, it is. Windage, frothing, leaks, etc.
This is what I want to know as I have already been driving it with 1/2 quart over.

Quick Reply: Oil Looks Uneven On Dipstick