IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oil Looks Uneven On Dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-18, 11:25 AM
AndaleFish
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Looks Uneven On Dipstick

Hello, I just recently purchased a 2006 lexus Is350. It should have a fresh oil change from the dealer but when I checked the oil this morning it looks uneven on the dipstick.
Ive never seen a dipstick that looked like this. It has oil on and ABOVE the full dot but in between the two dots there are spots/streaks with no oil. I'm totally new to this car and would like to know if this Is this normal.
thanks!
Old 03-12-18, 11:42 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 183 Posts

If you can't get a good reading on the front, look at the back. I find the front usually gets like that while the back has an even line.
The following users liked this post:
AndaleFish (03-12-18)
Old 03-12-18, 11:49 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Try to pull the dipstick slowly out. It tends to hit the walls, and smear. Like what's been stated try viewing on the back side too. You'll have to give it a few tries before you get a good reading.
AndaleFish (03-12-18)
Old 03-12-18, 12:12 PM
AndaleFish
Rookie

Ok will do. Thanks for your replies. Also how much oil are you guys putting in when you change the oil? My car didn't come with the owners manual but from searching the forum it seems that people are saying somewhere in between 6-7 Quarts? Is there an exact amount that most can agree on lol?
Old 03-12-18, 12:29 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by AndaleFish
Ok will do. Thanks for your replies. Also how much oil are you guys putting in when you change the oil? My car didn't come with the owners manual but from searching the forum it seems that people are saying somewhere in between 6-7 Quarts? Is there an exact amount that most can agree on lol?
RWD is 6.6 QTS with filter change.

AWD is 6.7 QTS with filter change.
AndaleFish (03-12-18)
Old 03-12-18, 01:05 PM
AndaleFish
Rookie

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Try to pull the dipstick slowly out. It tends to hit the walls, and smear. Like what's been stated try viewing on the back side too. You'll have to give it a few tries before you get a good reading.
In regards to this, would replacing my dipstick with a new one prevent this from happening and give me a cleaner read of the oil level? I'm sure my current dipstick is no longer perfectly straight due to all the usage its seen.
Old 03-12-18, 01:33 PM
Nitrous23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AndaleFish
In regards to this, would replacing my dipstick with a new one prevent this from happening and give me a cleaner read of the oil level? I'm sure my current dipstick is no longer perfectly straight due to all the usage its seen.
I've had the same issue with mine and I just looked at both sides. Not sure if getting a new one would make a difference since others have the same thing. Could be the way the tube where the dipstick goes in was made. I've had this issue since I first got the car and it was 2 years old at that time. Your call.
Old 03-12-18, 01:55 PM
AndaleFish
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nitrous23
I've had the same issue with mine and I just looked at both sides. Not sure if getting a new one would make a difference since others have the same thing. Could be the way the tube where the dipstick goes in was made. I've had this issue since I first got the car and it was 2 years old at that time. Your call.
I just checked the oil again and the dipstick looks about the same on both sides. The dipstick is definitely scraping the sides of the tube and is not going in and out smoothly. Im pretty sure it should not be this way. I should be able to get a clean reading of my oil.
Old 03-14-18, 08:19 AM
strikeraj
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since my ownership the dipstick is also hard to read.
What I have to do to get a better reading is
1. Take the dip stick out and wipe it
2. Wait a bit for any oil on the dip stick tube to drip back down
3. Slowly re-insert and remove the dip stick to read

Usually what I do that i find easiest is to make sure the two dimple is wiped clean of oil. Then after re-insert and remove, I should see one dimple filled with oil and one empty. Then I know my oil level is somewhere between the dots.
Old 03-14-18, 01:32 PM
AndaleFish
Rookie

Thanks for your replies everyone. I will continue to mess around with it and hopefully I can get a good result.
Old 03-15-18, 10:32 AM
Drizell
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Those are the proper steps to get a reading on your Oil. I have a IS250 and it has been my first and only Lexus I have had. This car was the only one I have owned that was hard to read oil. Reads well when the car has not been turned on long. Soon as I run around the city then the dipstick appears to have slatters of oil rather than the old fashion line on the dipstick and ez to read. I read it from different angles and take multiple reads with the dipstick so I get more of a clear estimate of the oil lvl present. If you want to just drive and forget about it, I just add Motor honey from Casite and with a fresh recent oil change from the dealer, I wouldent need to check oil lvl for atleast 6 months. Worry free way unless you have some sort of oil leak or your car burns excessive Oil. Should be Okay if Serviced by Professional. We usually have confidence in our maintenance in the cars so no need to pop the hood up really at all. Maybe to wipe off my K&N Air filter from time to time.
Old 03-15-18, 01:48 PM
AndaleFish
Rookie

Originally Posted by Drizell
Soon as I run around the city then the dipstick appears to have slatters of oil rather than the old fashion line on the dipstick and ez to read.
^^ This is 100% what I mean. The oil looks “slathered” unevenly on the dipstick and all I can really tell is that there is at least SOME oil In the pan. So far I have only checked the oil with the engine cold and it has looked like this every time. It is concerning because I just bought the car and I have no idea whether it burns oil or not and I am not interested in blowing up my engine. It may seem like I am being paranoid but with my last car I had to check the oil daily because it burned it like you wouldn’t believe so this is sort of a problem for me lol.
Old 03-16-18, 09:49 AM
Drizell
Driver

Best thing to do is get a proper oil change by Lexus or atleast a good spot. No jiffy lube. Let them do the oil change and if they see an issue they will let you know. You can even request to know if the oil was under the Level before they change it. They will see that anyhow when they remove the old oil. I hear you on the paranoid. Usually the same car problems you have in the Past, follow with you to the current. You just gotta make a Change, have it serviced for like 60.00 so you can feel confident that your baby will last. And it removes the old curse of oil burning. Trust me get the oil change at a certified place and watch how everything improves. You will be able to reply back to this in a month and say danm u wer Rite.
Old 03-16-18, 09:55 AM
Drizell
Driver

Note: I forgot to add that if the dealership claims they did the oil change, go ahead and get another one done at a different location. Does not have to be dealer, but a regular shop. Its always good for the 2nd opinion. I used all 3 of my free oil changes because the first month my oil was dark and I had just got the car. So I did it anyhow any it improved alot of RPM problems and carbon buildup symptoms. Check your air filter on the left side of the engine bay. Make sure it does not have leaves in it. Mine was a birds nest. I said why was this not cleaned, their like" we prefer the dry engine Look" where we do not greace up our engines too look new or use armor all to make everything seem like it was replaced. There is still a moral duty to ensure you have checked that area.
Old 03-17-18, 02:38 AM
phillip197
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modify the dipstick

A modification that some people have used, myself included is to use sandpaper/emery paper or a file and carefuly sand/file the flat metal area between the two dimples. I found that afterwards a more accurate reading can be taken.
nearly every other auto manufacturer uses a rough surface on their dipstick in order to allow the oil to adhere to so as it is easier to read. Toyota/lexus had to do it differently, the same issue exists when trying to read a 2008 corolla.

Quick Reply: Oil Looks Uneven On Dipstick