IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Adding amplifier, what’s needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-18, 07:00 PM
Lowrider25
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding amp, which LOC

I2007 IS350. I want to add an amplifier for a pair of subwoofers to the factory radio. Which line output convertors are recommended?

Last edited by Lowrider25; 04-04-18 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-13-18, 09:16 PM
Lowrider25
Driver School Candidate

Ok so I think I’m going to order the PAC OEM line output converter. I’m assuming i can just tap into the rear speaker wires and run a short set of rca’s from that to the amp on the trunk. Is this the best way to set this up? Looking to run an Alpine type x sub I already have for now and then order a Sundown and build a box for it. So I want to make sure the signal is good from the start.
Old 04-14-18, 12:22 PM
Nespo2330
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Search on here, If I remember correctly there was a thread with pics that helped me add subs with an amp. It was very informative.. I can’t remember exactly how I did mine, since it was so long ago. Sorry
Old 04-14-18, 09:09 PM
Lowrider25
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I searched before posting. Not finding much that helps. Might just go with a cheapo convertor and see if it limits output or not and splice the rear speaker wires in the trunk.
Old 04-17-18, 02:14 AM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I would tap into the front. I usually drive with position to driver or front. Imaging is much better. If you tap into the rears may not get signal unless you’re in all or rear.
Old 04-17-18, 07:38 AM
Lowrider25
Driver School Candidate

True I didn’t think of that. Is pulling the radio the best option to access the front speaker wires?
Old 04-19-18, 07:05 PM
Lowrider25
Driver School Candidate

Anyone familiar with this at all? I’ve got the line output convertor, rca’s, and signal wire for amp turn on but not sure if I need to tap into the wires behind the radio or possibly at a factory amplifier. If there is a factory amp, is it in the trunk? Anyone have a wire diagram or know the colors for the front speakers and which to tie in for amp turn on?
Old 04-20-18, 11:05 AM
AyRow89
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lowrider25
Anyone familiar with this at all? I’ve got the line output convertor, rca’s, and signal wire for amp turn on but not sure if I need to tap into the wires behind the radio or possibly at a factory amplifier. If there is a factory amp, is it in the trunk? Anyone have a wire diagram or know the colors for the front speakers and which to tie in for amp turn on?
I used the Audiocontrol LC2i Line Out Converter. Do yourself a favor and tap into all wires needed (except low gauge power wire) in the trunk. The factory amp is under the plastic panel on the right side closest to the rear of the car. Grab a test light and, with the car completely off, check the wires going into the factory amp to get a constant power source. Then turn the radio on and find another wire that only comes on when the radio is on; that's your remote wire. Use the center speaker on the rear deck to get your sound signals (that's the factory sub). Below is a link to my original post asking for the same info. The wiring chart saved my life. This was not a particularly easy job. If you don't have experience with aftermarket stereo install, I highly recommend you leave it to the pros. Good luck! The whole thing took me 3-4 hours start to finish.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...p-2008-is.html
Old 04-20-18, 02:32 PM
Lowrider25
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AyRow89
I used the Audiocontrol LC2i Line Out Converter. Do yourself a favor and tap into all wires needed (except low gauge power wire) in the trunk. The factory amp is under the plastic panel on the right side closest to the rear of the car. Grab a test light and, with the car completely off, check the wires going into the factory amp to get a constant power source. Then turn the radio on and find another wire that only comes on when the radio is on; that's your remote wire. Use the center speaker on the rear deck to get your sound signals (that's the factory sub). Below is a link to my original post asking for the same info. The wiring chart saved my life. This was not a particularly easy job. If you don't have experience with aftermarket stereo install, I highly recommend you leave it to the pros. Good luck! The whole thing took me 3-4 hours start to finish.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...p-2008-is.html
I had actually seen your post. It didn’t really answer any of my questions though. I planned on using the Front speaker wires as signal so when I change to driver seat or front on the display for optimal sound, the subs will still be on. I found a wiring diagram so I think I’ll just start there rather than probing all the wires. Hoping to get it all installed in under 2 hours.
Old 04-22-18, 01:26 AM
Lowrider25
Driver School Candidate

Alright well I made access to the factory amp. Does anyone know which set of wires is for the front door speakers? I believe it’s the harness that connects closest to the rear bumper but would like to confirm first as I’ll be wiring everything tomorrow.