Car not starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 09:46 AM
Kendoswag
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car not starting

NEW TO THE FORUM

So I got a 2006 Lexus is250 does not want to start not cranking over the check vsc is on and the p/s is on too
not turning over when i unplug the battery for 2 hour
it will start up and die right up then won't start again
I need help tell
do you think is the ecu or the driver injector modules need help haven't turned on for 2 months now the mechanics think it's the ecu or driver injector module
attached is what it does when I try to start it no sound what so ever and all the light is on
I'm frustrated now because I miss my IS help me please and thanks for yours advise in advance
Attached Files
Old 05-01-18, 10:24 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 183 Posts

Sounds to me like the fuel pressure sensor may be the culprit. Unplug it and see if the car starts, you may need to click the start button twice. If it does start, you'll have to replace it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...lp-asap-2.html
Old 05-01-18, 11:42 AM
Kendoswag
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Zmon
Sounds to me like the fuel pressure sensor may be the culprit. Unplug it and see if the car starts, you may need to click the start button twice. If it does start, you'll have to replace it.

do you you know where it is located
Old 05-01-18, 12:03 PM
Zmon
Racer

Click that link in my post.

Behind the engine, under the throttle body. 89458 on this picture. Should really only need to move the intake out of the way to reach back there to unplug it.

Old 05-01-18, 02:50 PM
Kendoswag
Driver School Candidate

Click that link in my post.

Behind the engine, under the throttle body. 89458 on this picture. Should really only need to move the intake out of the way to reach back there to unplug it.

thanks man started right up
okay time to say the truth lol I traded the Lexus with someone on sat the 29 of April because he needs a car that runs lol and the car Imwe traded with I got it for less that 1500
its an 06nissan Altima and it is running I'm happy right now thanks man I appreciate it will be changing the sensor soon but I know it's not the ecu now got the car for a steal lol
Old 05-01-18, 03:33 PM
Zmon
Racer

Just a btw, it needs to be changed if it's going to be driven, can't drive it around like that unplugged. You can find it on eBay for $25, give or take. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pressure-Sensor-89458-30010-For-Lexus-IS250-IS350-GS300-GS430-New/163021979878?fits=Model%3AIS250&hash=item25f4de00e6:g:QEcAAOSwdbZa4ZEU&vxp=mtr I would also change the sensor's crush gasket too. https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-90430...tatK9S&vxp=mtr
Old 05-04-18, 06:32 AM
Phantom_89
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When you say uplug the sensor do you mean just unplug the sensors connector or actually unbolt the sensor from the engine?

I unplugged the connector and it still did not start.
Old 05-04-18, 07:31 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom_89
When you say uplug the sensor do you mean just unplug the sensors connector or actually unbolt the sensor from the engine?

I unplugged the connector and it still did not start.
Should be just the plug. Did you unplug any other sensors while trying? If the MAF is not connected it won't start either.
Old 05-04-18, 07:37 AM
Phantom_89
Rookie

No I didn't unplug anything else. So my problem may be different. The car just cranks I don't get any sputtering or anything. I still think its fuel realated. Maybe its the fuel pump. Is there anywhere easliy accesable where I can hook up a fuel pressure gauge?

Or is there any other way I can confirm its the fuel pump. If I sprayed some starter fluid and it showed some signs of life, would that confirm that the engine isn't getting fuel?
Old 05-04-18, 07:43 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

No I didn't unplug anything else. So my problem may be different. The car just cranks I don't get any sputtering or anything. I still think its fuel realated. Maybe its the fuel pump. Is there anywhere easliy accesable where I can hook up a fuel pressure gauge?

Or is there any other way I can confirm its the fuel pump. If I sprayed some starter fluid and it showed some signs of life, would that confirm that the engine isn't getting fuel?
It's probably flooded since it's not cranking. So many failed attemps.

Push the gas pedal all the way down then try to crank it.

​​​​​​If it won't crank the plugs could be wet.
The following users liked this post:
Phantom_89 (05-04-18)
Old 05-04-18, 07:47 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
It's probably flooded since it's not cranking. So many failed attemps.

Push the gas pedal all the way down then try to crank it.

​​​​​​If it won't crank the plugs could be wet.
Even with the fuel sensor unplugged it will probably just run for a few seconds and die out.
Old 05-04-18, 07:54 AM
Phantom_89
Rookie

I tired flooring the gas pedal and cranking a couple times before I removed the fuel pressure sensor plug. I only tried it twice after I pulled the plug. I'll try it a couple more times tonight.

It does crank but just does not fire up. It will keep trying to start for about 5 - 7 seconds continuously cranking. If its flooded is there any other way to get it to start?
Old 05-04-18, 08:10 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

I tired flooring the gas pedal and cranking a couple times before I removed the fuel pressure sensor plug. I only tried it twice after I pulled the plug. I'll try it a couple more times tonight.

It does crank but just does not fire up. It will keep trying to start for about 5 - 7 seconds continuously cranking. If its flooded is there any other way to get it to start?
Flooring the gas pedal all the way down before cranking. Is only opening the TB plate to let in air. Now if you just crank by itself normally. Your introducing more fuel to the cylinders. The key is too allow more air in, and not fuel if it's flooded.

Spray it with starting fluid before you try again.

Pull the easiest plug if you can. See if it's wet at least.

Check your battery it's probably taking a drain with no starts also.
The following users liked this post:
Phantom_89 (05-04-18)
Old 05-04-18, 08:25 AM
Phantom_89
Rookie

Yea I'll try some starter fluid first and then pull a spark plug to see what the condition is. The battery did drain but I hooked it up to a charger last night. So its either too much fuel or no fuel at all.

If the plug is dry then its more likely the no fuel scenario. The fuel pump is not cheap so I want to make sure that's the problem before I purchase one. From the couple places a called for a quote the range was $450 to $3000 to get it locally for a new one. I can get one from Rockauto for about $250 but I'll just have to wait for the shipping to Canada.

The alternative is going to a local U pull yard. They have 1 IS350 in their inventory. I could pull the fuel pressure sensor and fuel pump if the car still has it. I'd only pay like $50 for both parts there.

Not sure if you've seen my other thread but the car was cranking longer than usual past couple days but it would always still start on the first push of the start button. It seemed as if the car was loosing its fuel prime and wouldn't start until it pumped new fuel.
Old 05-04-18, 08:44 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Yea I'll try some starter fluid first and then pull a spark plug to see what the condition is. The battery did drain but I hooked it up to a charger last night. So its either too much fuel or no fuel at all.

If the plug is dry then its more likely the no fuel scenario. The fuel pump is not cheap so I want to make sure that's the problem before I purchase one. From the couple places a called for a quote the range was $450 to $3000 to get it locally for a new one. I can get one from Rockauto for about $250 but I'll just have to wait for the shipping to Canada.

The alternative is going to a local U pull yard. They have 1 IS350 in their inventory. I could pull the fuel pressure sensor and fuel pump if the car still has it. I'd only pay like $50 for both parts there.

Not sure if you've seen my other thread but the car was cranking longer than usual past couple days but it would always still start on the first push of the start button. It seemed as if the car was loosing its fuel prime and wouldn't start until it pumped new fuel.
So what happens if you leave the key to the on position? Then try to crank it? Building up pressure in the line would be my guess.

Quick Reply: Car not starting