IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Clunking noise when turning the steering wheel (parked/stopped)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-18, 07:19 PM
Chris3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking noise when turning the steering wheel (parked/stopped)

Hey guys, i can't seem to figure out whats causing this clunking noise. It happens when I turn the steering wheel left then right or vice versa when stopped. I have brand new shocks, springs, and LCA bushings.. my lug nuts are tight also. I will have to replace my front rotors, but I don't think that's relevant in this case. It sounds more inside than outside. Is this normal? what could it be?

Check out the video, might be a little hard to hear: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GY...e0ubGXfgBClt-P

Check engine is for EVAP code, already replaced my gas cap with a brand new OEM one and it's still there. I visually checked my charcoal canister but i'm no expert, couldn't see any noticeable cracks, but maybe it's not working properly. I want to do a smoke test soon, but can't afford one right now.
Old 05-07-18, 07:25 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3
Hey guys, i can't seem to figure out whats causing this clunking noise. It happens when I turn the steering wheel left then right or vice versa when stopped. I have brand new shocks, springs, and LCA bushings.. my lug nuts are tight also. I will have to replace my front rotors, but I don't think that's relevant in this case. It sounds more inside than outside. Is this normal? what could it be?

Check out the video, might be a little hard to hear: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GY...e0ubGXfgBClt-P

Check engine is for EVAP code, already replaced my gas cap with a brand new OEM one and it's still there. I visually checked my charcoal canister but i'm no expert, couldn't see any noticeable cracks, but maybe it's not working properly. I want to do a smoke test soon, but can't afford one right now.
For the EVAP should be a bad VSV. I tried locating it on the diagrams. I couldn't make it out where it's out on the car. Usually it's located near the canister.
Old 05-08-18, 10:36 AM
Chris3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
For the EVAP should be a bad VSV. I tried locating it on the diagrams. I couldn't make it out where it's out on the car. Usually it's located near the canister.
Hey man, thanks for the reply. I've pulled it apart one time to make sure it was working properly and I tried to blow air in it to make sure it's sealed and nothing can go through. It doesn't let any air escape, but I'm not sure if it's an effective way of checking the VSV.

Last edited by Chris3; 05-08-18 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Diagram
Old 05-08-18, 04:11 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Last edited by MikeFig82; 07-26-18 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-08-18, 06:42 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Any oil leaks, like maybe over the rubber rack bushings?

Engine off, have a friend (special friend) help and turn the wheel while you reach your head under the dash and listen for noise.
If no noise, you need the tires on the ground and do the same test while watching the rack and pinion and holding the steering shaft. Can you Feel the noise?

All this work was done, was the noise there before?
Old 05-12-18, 04:53 PM
Chris3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Any oil leaks, like maybe over the rubber rack bushings?

Engine off, have a friend (special friend) help and turn the wheel while you reach your head under the dash and listen for noise.
If no noise, you need the tires on the ground and do the same test while watching the rack and pinion and holding the steering shaft. Can you Feel the noise?

All this work was done, was the noise there before?
​​​​​​
thanks for the reply and sorry for the late response. The clunk noise has been there before I've done all the repairs. It was actually louder or you could feel it more with the heavy stock wheels. But after i got aftermarket ones the clunk doesn't sound as loud.

I had my girlfriend move the steering wheel while i was outside near the front wheels trying to hear something and couldn't hear anything. Keep in mind that the car is on the ground and the noise seems to be noticable from inside the car basically where your feet rests. Both sides, driver and passenger.

When i turn the wheel, there's a little play in between left and right if that makes sense. When i turn my wheel left and it gets out of the play it clunks once and turns the wheel then the clunk is gone, but then when i turn right after the "play" of the steering wheel it clunks again. So if i keep turning left and right everytime the wheel starts to turn it clunks once and then no more until i change direction.

I haven't had the time to lift the car and check underneath the car while turning the steering wheel but when i do I'll reply with some more inoinformat.
Old 05-13-18, 10:25 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

If you drove onto lift leaving the wheels on the ground, chances are you could pin point it in minuets with the aid of a helper turning the wheel while under the car.
Old 08-28-21, 08:45 PM
Lexhead08
Driver School Candidate

​​​​​​
thanks for the reply and sorry for the late response. The clunk noise has been there before I've done all the repairs. It was actually louder or you could feel it more with the heavy stock wheels. But after i got aftermarket ones the clunk doesn't sound as loud.

I had my girlfriend move the steering wheel while i was outside near the front wheels trying to hear something and couldn't hear anything. Keep in mind that the car is on the ground and the noise seems to be noticable from inside the car basically where your feet rests. Both sides, driver and passenger.

When i turn the wheel, there's a little play in between left and right if that makes sense. When i turn my wheel left and it gets out of the play it clunks once and turns the wheel then the clunk is gone, but then when i turn right after the "play" of the steering wheel it clunks again. So if i keep turning left and right everytime the wheel starts to turn it clunks once and then no more until i change direction.

I haven't had the time to lift the car and check underneath the car while turning the steering wheel but when i do I'll reply with some more inoinformat.
did you ever figure it out? I'm having the exact same problem.
Old 08-29-21, 01:03 PM
Chris3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexhead08
did you ever figure it out? I'm having the exact same problem.
Hey, I sold the car a while back, but I would suggest looking at your tie rod ends, rack bushings, and steering rack. 2013FSport also pointed out that it'd be easier to find the issue while your car is on a lift.
Old 08-29-21, 04:33 PM
Lexhead08
Driver School Candidate

Hey, I sold the car a while back, but I would suggest looking at your tie rod ends, rack bushings, and steering rack. 2013FSport also pointed out that it'd be easier to find the issue while your car is on a lift.
Ok thanks. I'll take it my mechanic and see if we can figure it out