IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ballast replacement P/S light VSC and TRAC Light. NO CEL. After blown alternator fuse

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-18, 09:32 AM
monsterfa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ballast replacement P/S light VSC and TRAC Light. NO CEL. After blown alternator fuse

Okay guys so this all started off with me changing the ballast out in my 2007 RWD IS250, through the process I accidentally shorted the battery and blew my alternator fuse. I apparently also must have screwed up the power steering ECU in the process. So I found a 2010 IS350 power steering module online put that in. I also replaced the fuel linkage and still cannot turn over the car to start. I do not have any codes I have used techstream and cleared all the codes but still cannot turn the car on, the lights come on the dash comes on shows the traction light off the VSC light on and that's it. I've checked every single fuse in the car in the passenger side the driver side and in the engine bay everything seems to be fine. I also padded the ISF steering damper in the process while changing the PS ECU. I have checked the battery and I am getting 12.8 to 13.1 volts at the battery. I also have a high output alternator put in the car from Mechman. I checked the battery and I'm showing 585 CCA. I am unsure what else to check and no codes are thrown in Techstream.

Any and all help would be appreciated greatly! Thanks guys!
Old 05-20-18, 10:35 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by monsterfa
Okay guys so this all started off with me changing the ballast out in my 2007 RWD IS250, through the process I accidentally shorted the battery and blew my alternator fuse. I apparently also must have screwed up the power steering ECU in the process. So I found a 2010 IS350 power steering module online put that in. I also replaced the fuel linkage and still cannot turn over the car to start. I do not have any codes I have used techstream and cleared all the codes but still cannot turn the car on, the lights come on the dash comes on shows the traction light off the VSC light on and that's it. I've checked every single fuse in the car in the passenger side the driver side and in the engine bay everything seems to be fine. I also padded the ISF steering damper in the process while changing the PS ECU. I have checked the battery and I am getting 12.8 to 13.1 volts at the battery. I also have a high output alternator put in the car from Mechman. I checked the battery and I'm showing 585 CCA. I am unsure what else to check and no codes are thrown in Techstream.

Any and all help would be appreciated greatly! Thanks guys!
Try some starter fluid. Also hold the gas pedal down while cranking. The car is probably flooded by now.
Old 05-21-18, 07:08 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,275 Posts

A few lines in OP says it doesn't crank over so starting fluid won't offer salvation.
I know you said you checked all the fuses, does this include the fusable links under the clear cover by the battery? I would assume so as the main fuse is there as well as the 80A power steering fuse. They can be hard to see at the angle they are.

Being very specific; where did you create this short? At the alternator cable i.e. touched it to ground??
Old 05-21-18, 08:09 AM
monsterfa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
A few lines in OP says it doesn't crank over so starting fluid won't offer salvation.
I know you said you checked all the fuses, does this include the fusable links under the clear cover by the battery? I would assume so as the main fuse is there as well as the 80A power steering fuse. They can be hard to see at the angle they are.

Being very specific; where did you create this short? At the alternator cable i.e. touched it to ground??
Yeah I did check the fuseable link I changed it out as the alternator fuse was blown. I was tightening the positive battery cable and I believe I must have hit the ratchet to the body because I got a huge spark when it happened.

I also noticed that when I unlock the car doors and sit inside to start the car the start button changes to green when pressing on the brake but the security light keeps flashing. The brake pedal is really stiff but pushing with both feet it makes the start button change to green. Possible immobilizer issue? How to test and check that issue?

The car sounds like it wants to start as I can hear clicking from the relays possibly but it doesn't crank or start. Just took all the fuses out again to check if possible hairline cracks or something that didn't blow the fuse but caused it to not conduct properly and everything is fine. I checked with a voltl meter and also a 12v circuit checker.
Old 05-21-18, 08:31 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Brake pedal being stiff is normal as you depleted the vacuum from the reservoir by pressing the brake repeatedly w out the engine running.

You don't have a Fob not detected message do you?
Did you try placing the fob right next to the start button and push the button? It seems odd it would turn green but flash the security icon. I'd say your issue is there but I don't know where to go after that other than fuse inspection.

There are fuse panels in the cabin on both sides, did you pull and inspect all fuses in there? Perhaps pull the negative batt cable and reset everything. See if anything changes.