Climate Control & Radio Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-18, 10:49 PM
xcalibre
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate Control & Radio Not Working

Hi All,

I started up my IS250 yesterday and the climate control and radio were not working.
The backlight seems to come on for the Climate Control, but the buttons do not work. Same thing for the radio.
The day before everything seemed to be fine.

Some other relevant facts:
- The car ended up with a flat battery about 6 weeks ago, which needed to be jump started. But the Climate Control & Radio was working as per usual.
- This car does not have a navigation unit.

With the help of my father, we checked all the relevant fuses as per a youtube video we saw and they were all fine.

At a loss at what the problem could be or how to fix. Anyone able to help or provide any other suggestions on what we could look at?

Thanks!
Old 06-03-18, 01:35 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

You need new battery for sure. When the car detect not enough of power they will shut down some of the feature to save the power for other important thing like power steering. Also, good time to check the alternator as well (most likely is fine)
Old 06-03-18, 01:54 AM
xcalibre
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply whitebeast!

The battery was apparently replaced about a year ago because it went completely flat as the car wasn’t used that often, so it’s still a relatively new battery?

I’ve read some of your replies to other people with similar problems where I think you recommend taking out the nav system, climate control, radio units etc and then reset the ecu. Do you think that would work here?

Or you definitely think it’s the battery and I should get that replaced?
Thanks so much for your help!

The lighting on the controls still all turn on (I’ve attached a pic)
Old 06-03-18, 07:02 PM
xcalibre
Driver School Candidate

Just got the battery and alternator checked and it all looked good.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old 06-05-18, 12:43 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

I notice that your radio light won’t come on. You would have to replace the radio or check the fuse of radio. A/C system won’t work without the radio
Old 10-22-19, 10:49 AM
Kamrann8
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus gs 430

I have same problem with my Lexus gs430 @whitebeast if you solved your problem please share with me
Old 11-18-19, 11:55 PM
Tiffany702
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m having the same exact problem. Did either of you figure it out?
Old 12-12-19, 10:49 PM
Darbydarby
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Same exact issue as original post.
2007 is250 w/o nav
was driving to work and radio and climate went out. I found a 7.5 fuse on pass side blown (I think it was #10) replaced that fuse but still nothing working. I unhooked the battery over night seeing if reset would help but still nothing. Tested every fuse in the car (even the one I replaced) and everything looks good.

my last ditch effort is to pull head unit out and unplug and replug everything.

Anyone else have have any ideas? I’ve searched many forums and see many with similar issues but nobody every replies with what they ended up fixing.
Old 12-13-19, 03:31 AM
Tiffany702
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Darbydarby
Same exact issue as original post.
2007 is250 w/o nav
was driving to work and radio and climate went out. I found a 7.5 fuse on pass side blown (I think it was #10) replaced that fuse but still nothing working. I unhooked the battery over night seeing if reset would help but still nothing. Tested every fuse in the car (even the one I replaced) and everything looks good.

my last ditch effort is to pull head unit out and unplug and replug everything.

Anyone else have have any ideas? I’ve searched many forums and see many with similar issues but nobody every replies with what they ended up fixing.
I’m still driving around w/no climate control. My radio does work, just not the preset stations & I can’t see what station I’m on but the ***** on the lower section work & pressing eject or load on the CD player will activate it. After checking the fuses my aftermarket Sirius radio doesn’t work & it turned the climate completely off vs. being stuck on high a/c.

I’m going to take it to the dealership in a week or so & I promise to update. I was hoping to hear back from the previous posters. Frustrating that some of these people with the same issue happened years ago & never updated. You do have to subscribe to the thread though so they may not have gotten notified of our questions.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tiffany702:
Darbydarby (12-13-19), Punchy10 (02-14-20)
Old 02-14-20, 01:10 PM
Punchy10
Driver School Candidate

Default HI Tiffany

Originally Posted by Tiffany702
I’m still driving around w/no climate control. My radio does work, just not the preset stations & I can’t see what station I’m on but the ***** on the lower section work & pressing eject or load on the CD player will activate it. After checking the fuses my aftermarket Sirius radio doesn’t work & it turned the climate completely off vs. being stuck on high a/c.

I’m going to take it to the dealership in a week or so & I promise to update. I was hoping to hear back from the previous posters. Frustrating that some of these people with the same issue happened years ago & never updated. You do have to subscribe to the thread though so they may not have gotten notified of our questions.
Hi Tiffany, I'm currently experiencing the same issue. My fuses were good. Radio plays. I plan on to remove the climate control section and verify if all of the connections are working. What did the Dealership say? I presume that they said that you have to replace the unit which is expensive. If my unit if faulty, I rather by a used one from a junkyard or buy one of those Android units from China that has touchscreen, bluetooth..etc.
Old 02-14-20, 02:41 PM
Tiffany702
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Tiffany702
I’m having the same exact problem. Did either of you figure it out?
I’m still working on it. Took it to the dealership & they said the whole center control panel needs replacing for $1299. They charged me $159 to look at it (would have been applied to repairs) but cut it down to $79. I ordered a used one off eBay for $80 & took it to an aftermarket audio shop to instal for $175. Good news is the climate control & preset radio controls on the new one worked so it confirms that was the issue, however, the CD player was broken (not a big deal), they couldn’t get my Sirius radio to work (I have a lifetime subscription so that kinda sucks to be without it but in hindsight, I should have played with it myself because since it was aftermarket you would have to switch between AUX & SAT a couple times before it would connect) and lastly, they said the passenger airbag light was on. Again I should have checked this out in person to see what exactly it was doing.) Instead, I told them to pull it out so I can return it. And I planned on ordering a different one so don’t bother installing the original one so I’m driving right now with just the wires hanging out & the airbag light on the dash is on, I’m assuming because it needs the unit in for the passenger side airbag to work or maybe since they installed the faulty one it set something else off & I’ll have to get it reset.

I’m kind of at a loss now. Almost any used one will probably be from a wrecked car where the airbags went off. How much does the dealership charge to reset that? and will they knowing I installed a used one on my own? With the control panel already out, I think I could install the next one myself since I’ve already spent $260 for nothing. But how many will I have to go through until I find one where everything works properly? Should I just bite the bullet & get a new one from the dealership? They won’t hook up the aftermarket Sirius though.
Old 02-14-20, 02:45 PM
Tiffany702
10th Gear

Edit: The airbag light on the dash is only on when I have a passenger. I realize this is a liability & I should not drive with a passenger.
Old 02-29-20, 09:53 PM
Tiffany702
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Punchy10
Hi Tiffany, I'm currently experiencing the same issue. My fuses were good. Radio plays. I plan on to remove the climate control section and verify if all of the connections are working. What did the Dealership say? I presume that they said that you have to replace the unit which is expensive. If my unit if faulty, I rather by a used one from a junkyard or buy one of those Android units from China that has touchscreen, bluetooth..etc.

Have you done anything else yet? A collision center tried to reset the airbag light but couldn’t. Apparently some diagnostic tools are more advanced than others & I’m taking it to a shop on Monday that claims they can reprogram the part if that’s the issue. I’d like to try another used unit but I’m so over this so I also have an appointment at the dealership.
Old 05-04-20, 03:22 PM
Punchy10
Driver School Candidate

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I was out of the country back then and now dealing with this Covid 19 pandemic.
I did take out the radio and looked at the electronics...I didn't see anything bad. However, I still think that the electronics is bad.
I need to find an electrical diagram so that I can figure out what the AC/Radio controls connect too. I presume that they split and one set connects to the amp.
once I figure something out, I'll let you know.
Old 05-04-20, 03:23 PM
Punchy10
Driver School Candidate

After your diagnostic, what was the part that had the true issue?

Quick Reply: Climate Control & Radio Not Working