IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2009 Lexus is250 possible failing transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-18, 07:17 PM
2isgabe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Lexus is250 possible failing transmission?

So I recently purchase a 2009 is250 a/t RWD with 96k on the ODO about 2 months ago. It’s right under 98k now. Absolutely in love with it except for one thing. The transmission seemed to be completely fine when I first got the car. As I became more used to the car I noticed that first gear seems a little tougher than the others. It’s almost like it takes a few milliseconds more to catch second gear than all the others. Some days it seems smoother than others. I realize this transmission learns to your driving habits so I’m assuming it’s that because sometimes I drive slow and other times I drive incredibly fast and hard. I have also noticed a stutter when I come up to a stop sign. I feel as if that was not there when I bought the car but I don’t really remember. It’s like it can’t downshift fast enough when I go to hit the gas again, even if I do it lightly. Possibly torque converter issue? It’s really frustrating because it makes city driving a pain. I use snow mode in highway bumper to bumper traffic but for just driving around the city and hitting stop signs this slight transmission catch is irritating. I know this transmission is also sealed and you can’t do a full flush but I was thinking about doing a partial flush. I’ve talked to several reputable shops and they can do a 30% flush for $100. On top of those 2 issues 4th gear seems to rev up about 200-500 when it goes into fifth occasionally. Doesnt happen all the time but when I’m driving up a hill it will hold onto 4th gear way to Long and almost rubber band into 5th as I crest over the hill... not smooth at all... it’s just the car favors 4th gear the most out of all of them... is there some transmission update I can get at the dealer? I feel like this is all just bad software... I’ve done 2 ECU restarts by unplugging my battery. My MAF sensor is in eh condition.

current mods: cold air intake, 19” rims, r1 ceramic drilled rotors, ceramic pads, medallion exhaust.
Old 07-25-18, 07:28 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Tremendous heat soak on the aluminum intake will wreck havoc on your MAF especially in bumper to bumper traffic. I say replace with OEM set up if available, and monitor the results. Drive it in normal mode and do more tests. The 19s will probably make the car more sluggish if they are not light weight wheels.
Old 07-25-18, 07:33 PM
2isgabe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang I never thought about that... previous owner had bought the intake but drove really slow so she probably never witnessed these issues. This makes total sense. My cars RPMs seems a little jittery when coasting at 1300-2000 as well after a good hard run which explains for a warmed up MAF. Would you say the transmission catch coming from a dead stop could be caused by a overly hot MAF?
Old 07-25-18, 07:41 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Pulled this from the LS1 tech. They can explain it better.

"The pcm uses the MAF signal to know how much air is entering the engine and bases the a/f ratio calculation from it. If that were damaged then you would have some major engine performance problems that you would notice. The MAF is just a heated wire so they basically work or don't work, there's no real in between such as working sometimes and not others.
For your tranmission shift problem, I highly doubt the MAF has anything to do with it.
Input signals to the transmission to base shift points and shift firmness would be trans fluid temperature, possibly engine coolant temp, engine rpm, vehicle speed, and probably engine load. Engine load i'm not sure on but is probably calculated from throttle position sensor, MAP sensor, and possibly the MAF signal but again I don't see the MAF sensor being a cause of the shift problem without showing other major signs."

There's a lot of transmission gurus. I'm sure they will chime in shortly.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 07-25-18 at 07:51 PM.