IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

P2009 - Possible Solution

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-18, 04:09 PM
TurboZom81
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default P2009 - Intake Manifold Runner Control Valve Issue -Possible Solution

First of all, hello CL! Second, just want to admit that I am not a certified mechanic or a Lexus owner, but rather a car enthusiast who recently helped out a friend & I would like to share my knowledge in hopes of helping some of you as well.

My friend has an 08 IS250, with 120,xxx miles. She recently started getting the VSC & CEL lights. Upon running a scan, it was found to be error code P2009 - stated to be a faulty intake manifold runner valve control/motor - IMRV motor. Dealer wants over $1200 to repair, stating they are one unit & the motor is not replaceable, must buy a new manifold, blah, blah...F that.

So, upon conducting research I found the article many of you may have also found...in Russian. Couldn't understand it, but no need to translate thanks to a few pics. General idea..gear comes off motor, doesn't engage, valves don't open.

Since this would be the cheapest & fastest solution (minimal downtime, no dealer bullish), we decided to start there. First, I checked the linkage that controls the valves, and guess what!? They moved freely with no effort at all. This essentially confirmed that the valves were not seized, and that the motor was not engaged. So we took off the upper manifold to access the lower. Upon removing the lower manifold, we gained access to the motor that opens & closes the butterfly valves. They say it isn't removable...LIES! There are two Phillips screws to remove & voila, motor comes off to reveal the gear that actuates the valve.

Just as suspected...and reported by the Russians, the nut that retains the gear on the motor had simply come off. Cleaned it all real well, added threadlocker to it & put it back together.

While this may not be your exact issue, it would be a great item of concern, and I would absolutely recommend checking that before forking out $$$$ for a new manifold. If you aren't having this problem, but have your intake manifold off for any reason, I would do some preventive maintenance & add some threadlocker to that nut.

Be sure to replace your gaskets, may be a good time to change plugs too since you have easy access!

Hope this helps someone. If you have any questions, please let me know & I'll help if I can!

*this may also pertain to error codes P2005, P2006, P2007, P2008, P2010, and P2015; however may not be your exact issue. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice or continue researching.

As soon as we took off the motor, the nut was just laying there.

Threadlocker & put it back together. Valves now have resistance & don't move freely due to the gear being back in place.

Last edited by TurboZom81; 08-02-18 at 03:59 PM. Reason: ...correcting auto-correct.
The following 2 users liked this post by TurboZom81:
cfauvel (07-15-21), Yodog (10-03-23)
Old 07-30-18, 04:18 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Dang that's a good find. Thanks for posting this up.
Old 07-31-18, 06:10 AM
TurboZom81
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No problem, happy to help. 👍
Old 10-17-22, 04:25 PM
Winslow96
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboZom81
First of all, hello CL! Second, just want to admit that I am not a certified mechanic or a Lexus owner, but rather a car enthusiast who recently helped out a friend & I would like to share my knowledge in hopes of helping some of you as well.

My friend has an 08 IS250, with 120,xxx miles. She recently started getting the VSC & CEL lights. Upon running a scan, it was found to be error code P2009 - stated to be a faulty intake manifold runner valve control/motor - IMRV motor. Dealer wants over $1200 to repair, stating they are one unit & the motor is not replaceable, must buy a new manifold, blah, blah...F that.

So, upon conducting research I found the article many of you may have also found...in Russian. Couldn't understand it, but no need to translate thanks to a few pics. General idea..gear comes off motor, doesn't engage, valves don't open.

Since this would be the cheapest & fastest solution (minimal downtime, no dealer bullish), we decided to start there. First, I checked the linkage that controls the valves, and guess what!? They moved freely with no effort at all. This essentially confirmed that the valves were not seized, and that the motor was not engaged. So we took off the upper manifold to access the lower. Upon removing the lower manifold, we gained access to the motor that opens & closes the butterfly valves. They say it isn't removable...LIES! There are two Phillips screws to remove & voila, motor comes off to reveal the gear that actuates the valve.

Just as suspected...and reported by the Russians, the nut that retains the gear on the motor had simply come off. Cleaned it all real well, added threadlocker to it & put it back together.

While this may not be your exact issue, it would be a great item of concern, and I would absolutely recommend checking that before forking out $$$$ for a new manifold. If you aren't having this problem, but have your intake manifold off for any reason, I would do some preventive maintenance & add some threadlocker to that nut.

Be sure to replace your gaskets, may be a good time to change plugs too since you have easy access!

Hope this helps someone. If you have any questions, please let me know & I'll help if I can!

*this may also pertain to error codes P2005, P2006, P2007, P2008, P2010, and P2015; however may not be your exact issue. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice or continue researching.

As soon as we took off the motor, the nut was just laying there.

Threadlocker & put it back together. Valves now have resistance & don't move freely due to the gear being back in place.
Thanks for this post! I had the exact same code pop up and I hope its similar to this here.
Old 02-16-23, 11:15 PM
Winslow96
Rookie

Originally Posted by Winslow96
Thanks for this post! I had the exact same code pop up and I hope its similar to this here.
Today my mechanic followed the steps here and after removing the lower intake manifold, the nut was just laying there.

Everything was put back together but the light still remained. Hopefully it'll go away after a few drives.
The following users liked this post:
Yodog (10-03-23)
Old 10-03-23, 09:07 PM
Olimac
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Winslow96
Today my mechanic followed the steps here and after removing the lower intake manifold, the nut was just laying there.

Everything was put back together but the light still remained. Hopefully it'll go away after a few drives.
did the ight go away
The following users liked this post:
Yodog (10-03-23)
Old 10-03-23, 10:43 PM
Yodog
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

What symptoms were you getting with the nut being off the gear thing? Just check engine lights? Or did you experience any other symptoms? How many miles did these cars have (anyone)?
Old 10-04-23, 06:47 AM
Winslow96
Rookie

The light did go away when I unplugged the battery.

About 280,000km at the time. Symtoms were that the car would just slow down on the road and just stop working (twice that happened). Car would work again once restarted though. Light has not come on since and have not had this issue ever again.
The following 2 users liked this post by Winslow96:
MikeFig82 (10-05-23), Yodog (10-04-23)