IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Carbon Build Up - Lexus Response and the non-Lexus Fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-18 | 12:32 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Interesting, I was stonewalled when I called them about my LS460 dash and door panels. "Case manager" rejected the claim said she was the final arbiter and would not put me in touch with her supervisor or anyone else further up the food chain! I've owned 5 Lexus vehicles since 1992. I won't be getting any more.

As an aside, mind telling how much they charged you for the complete walnut blasting?
I had a good experience with Lexus corporate on my GX but not so good on my LS460. The customer service is just terrible. I will buy $5k Lexus's still, but I would never spend the money with them again on a new/nearly new Lexus. They showed me their true colors already.
Old 08-18-18 | 12:39 PM
ostneb
Rookie

Wow sounds like Lexus is all about the bottom line now, seems a bit shortsighted.
Old 08-20-18 | 01:05 AM
pewterss
Driver

Interesting, I was stonewalled when I called them about my LS460 dash and door panels. "Case manager" rejected the claim said she was the final arbiter and would not put me in touch with her supervisor or anyone else further up the food chain! I've owned 5 Lexus vehicles since 1992. I won't be getting any more.

As an aside, mind telling how much they charged you for the complete walnut blasting?
yeah I'll respond to this or the previous post. It really stinks because when if they said they would pay 50% I would have still had it done. But they basically said yeeeeaaaaaaahhhhh......There's no way we're gonna pay for that, car is out of warranty, my car is NOT affected, HA...annnnd that I didn't spend much money at the dealership over the years. Said you haven't had it in four maintenance in 2 yrs. I said this is true because I do my own oil, air filters, cabin....etc. I was a little surprised..... usually Lexus always takes care of their people. But not in our cases THIS time, bleehhh. I didn't mind spending the money only because the car was a rock all this time, so I chucked this up as a 6-7 year maintenance bill,

And as for the price I paid $786 including tax. It was originally 722 but they had to charge me more for an oil change. So with tax, final was 786. Very well worth it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited by pewterss; 08-20-18 at 01:11 AM.
Old 08-22-18 | 07:18 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Hey, $750 to get a car back to purring for another 50,000 mile aint bad!

Shame on Lexus, I feel your pain!
Old 08-27-18 | 05:35 AM
pewterss
Driver

Hey, $750 to get a car back to purring for another 50,000 mile aint bad!

Shame on Lexus, I feel your pain!
Yeah thats what I said to make myself feel better, hahhaha no just kidding.... Well kinda... Agreed, $750+ to get her back to like new condition to me was really worth it. I never had to spend that kind of money in 8 years of ownership. Tell me what other car company can that be said of. My (our) IS's hold up well aside for the one exception of this carbon build up issue.
Old 08-27-18 | 05:58 AM
pewterss
Driver

Originally Posted by Ed Fisher
This post is purely opinion with a little experience added in so please take it as such. Given the well-documented cleanup of the carbon build up of your engine it may be worthwhile to contact Lexus again. Perhaps you will not be given a reimbursement, but you could have a wider inclusion in their 'affected vehicles' VIN range going forward for others with this problem. They may very well be under the mistaken impression that your particular VIN is not subject to this malady based on inputs from their dealerships, who have an incentive to make money on the repairs. It is a pain in the **** and time consuming to contact Lexus all over again, I get that, but it is one of the ways that the manufacturers obtain knowledge of complaints; the dogged determination of informed owners. As a case in point, years ago Lexus provided me with a complete new dash assembly for my girlfriend-at-the-time IS300 with sticky dash. There was no recall, there was no goodwill program, it was just me working my way up the chain until I was talking to the head of Lexus N. America. I was civil at every step of the way, and told him that I worked as an engineer at a large corporation and that I would send in the dashboard so that they could do a material analysis to determine failure as I was sure that the testing didn't comprehend time/humidity/temperature fully. I also explained that I didn't expect a car clearly out of warranty in both mileage and years to be given a complete dash job for free, but if they sent me the parts I would invest the labor. They agreed and sent me brand new parts, including new airbag for the passenger side. Incidentally, they didn't request the failed dash as they were already aware of the problem.

My experience has shown both in my job and as a vehicle owner that poor designs are not intentional, but rather extended time intervals and other factors can uncover problems not foreseen or caught in the testing phases no matter how thorough. No one plans for obsolescence, that would be a silly way to do business as customers don't return for faulty product lines.

Again, just a thought given your detailed information.

Ed in Dallas
Hi Ed, great post man. We do all know the issues and we all know they are not intentional, **** does happen. But what gets me annoyed is to tell me my car is not affected on several occasions, when they see the service history and know the car has been in Lexus dealerships 3-4 times for carbon issues, it's rather annoying. It shows how they are trying to avoid the issue and basically your a Lexus owner who is SOL. I mean he said he needed to review my history and would call me back in several days. Yeah so I know they saw the services, he just didn't care. (Or they). I don't have the time to sit here and call corp again, to complain and advise them of all this. My car is running smooth as can be now and I'm happy as all hell. 'Maybe' one night I will send them a letter, or an email explaining everything, but when I get the time to sit here and type it all up. It is all a little bittersweet. I still love my Lexus, and several of their new cars as well as some new Infinities. But I can tell you this, had I bought the G37 instead at the time, I wouldn't have needed to spend almost $800 for a carbon issue. Then again maybe on something else... who knows. Whatever I'm chucking it up as its the cost of owning something beautiful. That and they did send me a check for $199, they refunded me the cost of the diagnostic fee. They could have been bigger (insert choice word) and not reimburse me for that but they did.
Old 08-27-18 | 06:03 AM
pewterss
Driver

Originally Posted by aznKewlguy
WOw that is impressive, wonder if it’s worth getting my car done. It’s at close to 185k and rarely feel the rough idle.
I would if I were you, but if you don't have a rough idle I don't know what to say. Kind of shocking if you never had it done and have a 185K on it without any rough idling. Unless you don't notice it at all.
Does you car burn oil? How is your gas consumption, and mileage info? (meaning how many MPG)
Old 08-27-18 | 02:32 PM
portillo01
Driver School Candidate

Angry

I've had this issue with my car since 2014 --- it is now 2018, with Carbon buildup and the only solution LEXUS can come up with is the top-end cleaning. I went to a third party auto shop that specializes in Luxury cars and they took pictures just like this one. I took them back to the dealer (after they had told me my car had no build up) and they did yet another top-end cleaning.

Now, my car is having another intermittent issue--- rattling noise at startup cold-start or not. They kept my car for one week to determine that there is nothing wrong with my car. Is anyone else having this same problems? Please advise.

Thank you,
2012 IS 250 RWD