Best aftermarket shocks to pair with H&R Sport lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-21, 01:34 PM
redspencer
OG Member
Forum Moderator

Received 544 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Back in my track/canyon days, Bilsteins were the undisputed superior kingpin, even over the other "racer" brands which there'd be horror stories if blown seals and stuff.

Bilsten is the supplier for the 3IS F Sport stuff (and assuming 2IS F Sport stuff too). So you know it's the name to trust.

I once pulled a set of Bilstein B8s off a 97 M3 once w/ 215K miles, owner said he had them on the car since new... Caked on dirt from 14 years of use (at the time) yet so firm at 215k, was extremely hard to depress it with hand and a ton of body weight. Super hard still. Was super impressed. I got them super cheap and it was on a toy/beater car I was restoring on a budget but otherwise i'd buy new. installed them and they rode terrific. Debating sending them to Bilstein to get them rebuilt but decided to just roll them.

The Bilsteins (at least their heavy duty stuff) are just built with bigger shafts, monotube design etc so just inherently strong. not sure what they have for 2IS but for me if I ever have the choice, Bilstein absolutely hands down, particularly for longevity. I've done dozens of ground up suspension rebuilds and it's not fun after a few times. So get something you can install once and never think about it again.
Concur with your assessment. The 2IS F-Sport shocks were made by Bilstein and tuned by TRD USA at Streets of Willow back in 2008. I've had my original set for around a decade and they still dampen as well as when I first bought them. I've been happy with their performance on multiple track days through the years.

Unfortunately, they are becoming more difficult to find on the 2IS platform which is why alternate shock brands are being considered for those looking for a spring and shock upgrade.

I managed to buy a spare set on sale a year ago as I'm a huge fan of the Bilstein performance shocks.