IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Best aftermarket shocks to pair with H&R Sport lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-18, 11:25 AM
cdurrant
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best aftermarket shocks to pair with H&R Sport lowering springs

I have owned my 2008 Lexus IS350 for about 2.5 years now. My front driver side shock and rear passenger side shock are gone so looking to replace the suspension all around. I am dropping the car with H&R Sport springs, but OE compatible shocks do not pair well with lowering springs. The car is daily driven so i would rather not do coilovers. Does anyone have any recommendations on which aftermarket shock to pair with the H&R springs? I have seen the Bilstein B8s recommended for aftermarket lowering spring use, but they do not have a model that fits the 08 IS350
Old 08-23-18, 08:21 AM
primavera
Instructor

Received 315 Likes on 266 Posts

You can never go wrong with Koni, Bilstein, Tokico
Old 08-23-18, 09:28 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Koni yellow
Old 08-23-18, 10:50 AM
Petet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I installed the adjustable tokico’s in the front a few months ago and have no complaints. And they were inexpensive on amazon.
Old 08-23-18, 11:44 AM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I'm on KYB OE replacements on H&R sport springs and have no complaints.
I understand the risks running OE shocks on lowering springs but took the chance and I'm happy.
btw the KYB shocks are made in japan!
Old 08-23-18, 05:17 PM
2grfan
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Debating on this now. I’m a huge fan of koni’s, especially for their adjustability. But I haven’t experienced them on the IS, yet. Either that or leftover f-sport Bilsteins. Let’s us know what you choose and how you like them.
Old 08-27-18, 06:19 AM
cdurrant
Driver School Candidate

Update. Decided to go with the BC Racing Coilovers. Ill upload pictures once they are on and give an opinion on the comfort.
Old 08-27-18, 08:44 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

^ Good choice, BC Racing coilovers ride isn't bad for the price, maybe slightly firmer than stock but still relatively comfortable. Another upside is that the spring and shock will be matched in rates as opposed to guessing what aftermarket shocks would best suit the H&R springs, plus the shock bodies are replaceable if they do fail, and height adjustability!
Old 09-04-18, 03:34 PM
cdurrant
Driver School Candidate

Well here is the final product. Got the coilovers on last night and went with a pretty aggressive drop. Smooth commute to work this morning and overall very pleased with the quality of the BC Coilovers. Spacers are next and maybe a slight raise in the rear to get that "flush" look.
Old 09-04-18, 07:19 PM
Koolsport
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I went with Tokico blues and H&R springs, I like how they handle very much ! !
The following users liked this post:
cdurrant (09-05-18)
Old 09-05-18, 04:08 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 397 Likes on 170 Posts

Koni Yellow + H&R Springs is best combo cause that's what everyone in the car mod scene used to use b4 coilovers got more affordable... also H&R and Koni sometimes develop parts together, like some of their coilovers they sell...
Old 07-21-21, 12:14 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

I’m tossing this back out there for updates. I heavily considered selling my 08 daily, but somehow it’s still nicer and lower mileage than everything in my price range for a daily. So, I’m considering some suspension. Since the Fsport shocks are sold out everywhere, what is a good pairing between springs and aftermarket shocks?

This is just a daily, so comfort is king. Goal is to reduce wheel gap only, not slam it. My ISF can handle the fast turns.
Old 07-21-21, 01:30 PM
redspencer
OG Member
Forum Moderator

Received 544 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
I’m tossing this back out there for updates. I heavily considered selling my 08 daily, but somehow it’s still nicer and lower mileage than everything in my price range for a daily. So, I’m considering some suspension. Since the Fsport shocks are sold out everywhere, what is a good pairing between springs and aftermarket shocks?

This is just a daily, so comfort is king. Goal is to reduce wheel gap only, not slam it. My ISF can handle the fast turns.
The F-Sport lowering springs can still be found online so you can consider combining those with KYB shocks.
Old 07-22-21, 03:05 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Have you looked at the Tein Endurapro Plus? 500.00 for adjustable shocks isn’t horrible. But that puts you at about 700-750 for the setup. Another 150, you could get coilovers.
Old 07-23-21, 01:01 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Back in my track/canyon days, Bilsteins were the undisputed superior kingpin, even over the other "racer" brands which there'd be horror stories if blown seals and stuff.

Bilsten is the supplier for the 3IS F Sport stuff (and assuming 2IS F Sport stuff too). So you know it's the name to trust.

I once pulled a set of Bilstein B8s off a 97 M3 once w/ 215K miles, owner said he had them on the car since new... Caked on dirt from 14 years of use (at the time) yet so firm at 215k, was extremely hard to depress it with hand and a ton of body weight. Super hard still. Was super impressed. I got them super cheap and it was on a toy/beater car I was restoring on a budget but otherwise i'd buy new. installed them and they rode terrific. Debating sending them to Bilstein to get them rebuilt but decided to just roll them.

The Bilsteins (at least their heavy duty stuff) are just built with bigger shafts, monotube design etc so just inherently strong. not sure what they have for 2IS but for me if I ever have the choice, Bilstein absolutely hands down, particularly for longevity. I've done dozens of ground up suspension rebuilds and it's not fun after a few times. So get something you can install once and never think about it again.
The following users liked this post:
bbaugher47 (07-23-21)

Quick Reply: Best aftermarket shocks to pair with H&R Sport lowering springs