IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 ('08) won't start check VSC

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-18, 04:23 AM
LisaBiddan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 ('08) won't start check VSC

Car drove last night FINE. Went out to go to work this morning and brake pedal hard and car won't start. Electrical comes on, "engine check complete" but it won't start and I get the check VSC indicator. I try pushing start button again and the displays all start flickering. The headlights are on. I get out of the car and everything stays on/flickering. I turn the headlights off and then I get a "key not detected" message. I get back in car and try to start it and it does it all over again and ends with a check engine/check VSC message. The battery is slightly over a year old. 140K miles, all services and dealer updates and recalls as of 8 months ago.

Could this be a bad key fob/key fob battery? All guidance welcome.
Old 08-23-18, 04:26 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

A good sign of a flat battery.
Old 08-23-18, 11:30 AM
Namster
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It's your alternator...I had same symptom as yours about a month ago. My mechanic said my battery was about a year old but he tested to verify and said it's still good. So he replaced the alternator and now no more VSC check engine light.
Old 08-23-18, 01:51 PM
lectric74
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LisaBiddan
Car drove last night FINE. Went out to go to work this morning and brake pedal hard and car won't start. Electrical comes on, "engine check complete" but it won't start and I get the check VSC indicator. I try pushing start button again and the displays all start flickering. The headlights are on. I get out of the car and everything stays on/flickering. I turn the headlights off and then I get a "key not detected" message. I get back in car and try to start it and it does it all over again and ends with a check engine/check VSC message. The battery is slightly over a year old. 140K miles, all services and dealer updates and recalls as of 8 months ago.

Could this be a bad key fob/key fob battery? All guidance welcome.
That's a battery issue, alternator wouldn't come into play until the engine is actually running. Take the battery to Autozone and they can test it, but I'd almost guarantee it won't hold a load. You can also use a voltmeter, check the voltage at the battery, it should be around 12.2-12.4 typically, under 12 is an issue. If it looks good there, keep the voltmeter on it and have someone else attempt to restart, you'll likely see a drop in voltage and you have your culprit.
Old 08-27-18, 09:29 AM
IS2Fuego
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same issue about a year or 2ago..mileage was at approx 100K & I was headed to work, cruising on highway at about 60 - 65 mph usually & as I exit and come to a stop my VSC light comes on. I arrive at work, park, come back out about 4 hours later and the car won’t start at all. won’t crank, brake pedal hard, and only thing working are the interior lights (dash, radio, a/c, etc). I spend about 2 hours reading posts online and trying everything. I eventually get the car started but when I did, it had no power, I couldn’t get the car to go faster than maybe 5 - 10mph. I then found a forum post with someone having a similar issue and they said to disconnect the battery for 30 min & then immediately crank the engine & give it some gas lightly. I did so & it worked! For whatever reason! VSC light & traction control light disappeared and I took it to the dealer first thing in the morning but they couldn’t explain what was going on since it was no longer doing it. Since that incident 2 yrs ago I have not had an similar experience & I just replaced battery 3days ago after it went out on me after a long trip.

So I would carefully investigate every possibility before moving forward, double even triple check battery & alternator voltage, check to see if you have a faulty positive or negative adapater, check for corrosion on battery? Etc. hope it all works out for you, keep us updated