IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Radio Turns off on its own

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-18, 10:09 AM
EEEEEEEEEE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Turns off on its own

I have a problem where the radio in my 2007 IS350 (Nav system, but not ML) is turning itself off, and it may be linked to going over bumps, but doesn't happen consistently. I thought it might be an amp problem, but when it happens a notification comes on the top of the screen that says (IIRC) "Audio Off" as if I'd pressed in the volume *** to turn off the stereo, and when I mash in the volume *** it comes back on. I feel like if it were an amp problem that notification wouldn't appear. I had it in to the Lexus dealer recently for a recall on the fuel pipe and I asked them to take a look, they said I needed a new radio (Nav system, the whole thing), but they also wanted $1200 to do it. So if it does happen it won't be them.

Other details/mods:
- I had an iVic 5i put in 3 years ago and that installation went fine and never caused any problems. I don't use the iVic anymore and thought about taking it out, but I figured if everything's fine don't mess with it, and only recently have problems begun. I feel like this is unlikely to be linked to the problem since it has been problem free for 3 years.

- I also had a supposedly professional stereo installation for an add on amp/sub 5 months ago at a different shop, but I don't know how professional it really was since my alternator died a few days later, so I had the alternator replaced, took the amp/sub out and disconnected the fuse to the wiring. I don't want to take my car back to this shop after that. Probably all it needed was a capacitor, but I don't know that, and it should've been offered if required, and if I recall correctly I even asked about it. The radio turning off problem has only started occurring within the last month or so, so I'm not sure how linked to this install it might be. Plus I'm pretty sure he connected to the amp in the trunk and not the radio itself, so why would the radio say "Audio off"? I'm unsure on this being related.

- The CD player started spitting out CD's about 6 months ago, based on forum searches I believe it's just dying and seems unlikely to be related.

I've read a few posts on here about people having similar problems but none of the ones I've read have really nailed down what the root cause is. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance. - E
Old 08-31-18, 03:42 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

I'd replace just the audio/media/cd player portion of the system AND rip out what aftermarket parts you currently don't use at that time.

Example of what I mean : https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-2012-l...QAAOSw1-5bJYC8
Old 09-03-18, 07:28 AM
rog
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem for several months, and after complaining to my local dealer about it 4 times, they got Lexus corporate to authorize a warranty replacement, despite my car being 6 years old (at the time). Fortunately, I had the dealer document the issue before my warranty expired so there was history.

They said there was a tech note on the issue. From what I can recall, the circuit board had a connection become broken due to bumps/potholes.

For me, the problem caused siriusXM to be essentially unusable as that circuitry was also damaged it would go out every time I hit a minor bump in the road. In addition to what you're seeing, I experienced the input randomly changing/cycling through all options.. sometimes listening to each for 2 seconds, sometimes just cycling endlessly. It actually became a safety hazard as it started cycling and went to AM radio with no station and it was just blaring static - which immediately makes you not pay attention and scramble to stop the noise.

-Roger