Car won't start after replacing battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-18, 04:02 PM
test_accou
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Car won't start after replacing battery

Hi everyone,
My IS250 ran fine before I went on vacation for 1 week. Came back and started the car but the battery drained out (old battery). So I replaced the old with a new battery but the car would not start. Here is what I see with the new battery on the car:

Power on the dash board still working
Head light still working
Dome lights still work

Power doors/
Manual lock/unlock doors not working
Remote lock/unlock not working
power windows not working
Brake light not working
Fog lights not working
Signal lights not working.

Any idea what the issue might be?
How many fuse boxes are there and where are they? There may be fuses blown but I don't know where to check.
Thanks!
Old 09-04-18, 07:17 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the fusible link. Below is a post on a different IS forum that outlines where it is and what to check for.

Fusible Link info

If it is that, it's a $$$ fuse, but here's the part number so you can shop around. Not a dealer only part and they're available aftermarket.

Part information

Last edited by A1cntrler; 09-04-18 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-04-18, 08:03 PM
test_accou
Pit Crew

Thanks for your help, A1cntrler! I will take your suggestion and research about the Fusible Link.
Old 09-05-18, 10:57 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Did you or someone else install the new battery? Did they reverse the positive and negative cables or get a battery with the wrong posts?
Old 09-05-18, 07:11 PM
test_accou
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Gville350
Did you or someone else install the new battery? Did they reverse the positive and negative cables or get a battery with the wrong posts?
Hi Gville350,
I did install the battery. At first I hook up the negative cable on the positive post of the the battery, only one side (I did not hook up the positive cable to the negative post yet). I then realized the mistake and removed the native cable from the positive post right away. Did that damage something to the car?
Today, I inspected the fuses and found that two 30amp fuses (green fuses circle with red) were blown out. I replaced the 30 amp fuse for one of the blown one but as soon as I put the fuse in, it blown immediately. Not sure why it did that. Please see image

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by test_accou; 09-05-18 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-05-18, 07:41 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a site describing your issue and the tech talks through what to test and how. I'm not sure if they problem was resolved or not (OP never reported back) but did say that they'd be back for more help if it wasn't resolved... The site does seem to have a lot of popup windows asking if you need help and stuff so be warned..

JustAnswer link to IS issue

Check your 12V power port in the center console and the cigarette lighter next to the ashtray too to make sure a coin didn't maybe fall into the bottom of them to short things out.

Good luck!
Old 09-06-18, 07:27 AM
test_accou
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by A1cntrler
Here's a site describing your issue and the tech talks through what to test and how. I'm not sure if they problem was resolved or not (OP never reported back) but did say that they'd be back for more help if it wasn't resolved... The site does seem to have a lot of popup windows asking if you need help and stuff so be warned..

JustAnswer link to IS issue

Check your 12V power port in the center console and the cigarette lighter next to the ashtray too to make sure a coin didn't maybe fall into the bottom of them to short things out.

Good luck!
A1cntrler, Wow..The issue from the link you sent me look identical to my car's issue. I will check the fuses tomorrow and post back the results. Thank you!
Old 09-06-18, 04:42 PM
test_accou
Pit Crew

Today I removed the clear cover from the fuse box and saw a blown to the metal blade. I am not sure what it is. Here are the images:

Can I just replace the metal blade (don't know the part#) or I have to replace the whole fusible link block?

Last edited by test_accou; 09-06-18 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-06-18, 05:10 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...k-removal.html
Old 09-06-18, 09:22 PM
test_accou
Pit Crew

Thank you MikeFig82! I will try to remove the fusible link first to see if I can before ordering new one.
My second challenge is to find a short somewhere that made the old battery (new battery too) drained out in the first place and the 30 amp fuses keep blown

Last edited by test_accou; 09-07-18 at 03:13 AM.
Old 09-07-18, 11:19 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Let this be a lesson to everyone installing their own batteries...BE CAREFUL!
Old 09-10-18, 05:02 PM
test_accou
Pit Crew

Today I replaced the fusible link with a new one. Now the car has power on all most all accessories, lights, power seats, power windows, lock/ unlock, remote, etc. The problem is when I tried to start the car, it cranked and engine turned for a about 8 seconds but could not start, look like the engine about to start but could not. I have tried this for about 5 times but no go (don't want to burn the starter).
The car has a new battery, no error code. I have removed and visually checked all fuses from 4 fuse boxes (except for the two radio fuses were blown before), two fuse boxes in the engine compartment and two inside the car, the passenger and driver kickers. they all seem to be OK.

What should I check next?

Last edited by test_accou; 09-10-18 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-11-18, 07:37 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Anyone notice that one of those 30Amp fuses is supposed to be a 10AMP fuse?

I looked at mine a 2013 350 and its not the same as OPs.
Because the fuse is there to protect the wires, I'd be inspecting everything the fuse powers for a short to ground or some adjacent wires/accessories etc.

I shouldn't have a 30A fuse in there. I can't read what the panel marker says and this may not be related to the no start issues. It may be very related to battery drain issues.

A couple things: Next time you try to start it grab a can of starting fluid and remove the accordion hose from the air box. Spray fluid into the hose and quickly assemble it. Leave clamp loose, depress throttle partially and try to start it. What happens?
Old 09-11-18, 07:43 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,277 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Gville350
Let this be a lesson to everyone installing their own batteries...BE CAREFUL!

Or even jumping a dead vehicle. GFs 2014 Rav4 had the fuseable link blown (it was the operational vehicle) by jumping a dead vehicle when the polarity was reversed.
Left her stranded for days while parts came in.
Old 09-11-18, 08:10 AM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by test_accou
Today I replaced the fusible link with a new one. Now the car has power on all most all accessories, lights, power seats, power windows, lock/ unlock, remote, etc. The problem is when I tried to start the car, it cranked and engine turned for a about 8 seconds but could not start, look like the engine about to start but could not. I have tried this for about 5 times but no go (don't want to burn the starter).
The car has a new battery, no error code. I have removed and visually checked all fuses from 4 fuse boxes (except for the two radio fuses were blown before), two fuse boxes in the engine compartment and two inside the car, the passenger and driver kickers. they all seem to be OK.

What should I check next?
Double check all your connections to the fusible link. If you look at those pictures posted in the link, make sure you reattached all the wires correctly. I would imagine your not getting fuel or something (no power to fuel pump?). So it could be one of those connections I suppose.

Quick Reply: Car won't start after replacing battery