Another Tesla Radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-18, 10:51 AM
valeoray
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Another Tesla Radio

Hey folks,

I got this Tesla radio installed locally. This version doesn't have a DVD player. It has 2GB RAM and 32GB ROM. I'm not sure if it's an octacore or quadcore....most likely quadcore.

I do not have any of the three main issues that others have with their Tesla style or landscape 10" radios such as airbag error light, incorrect radio frequency, and temperature readings not showing.

The issues I do have are:
1) Glare on the screen despite the installer saying it comes with an antiglare protector. I actually ripped this protector off and ordered a matte protector which is on its way.
2) Wifi not autoconnecting to my phone hotspot (tried android and iphone). You have to manually connect to the phone hotspot. It does autoconnect with my home router, so something is different between a router wifi access point and a phone access point. My kid's also have to manually connect their ipads to their mom's iphone hotspot everytime when we're out somewhere. Lately, it's been disconnecting from my Redmi phone hotspot frequently. Today, I tried a Samsung phone and it seems to have a continuous connection.
3) The Iphone wifi mirrorlink works great and will connect to the iphone hotspot. Android USB and wifi mirroring requires the Easycon app on your phone (looks like Android Auto), but does not connect to the android hotspot.
4) The bluetooth call volume is significantly lower than the radio, so if you don't remember to turn down the volume after a call, you will get a rude awakening.
5) If listening to the radio, the GPS will cut the radio sound out to give voice commands (kind of annoying as there is a slight pause before and after a voice command). If listening to USB or bluetooth music, the music volume goes down a bit so you can still hear it as the GPS gives out voice commands.
6) RDS for the radio works, but the information is scrolling in a tiny column (see "PS: Brazda" below in the picture).

Other than that, everything else seems to work. I downloaded Youtube, Netflix (takes 1 to 2 mins to load up), Waze, etc. The screen is at its full brightness which appears to be bright enough. If the headlights are on, the screen will dim (can be adjustable). There is a wired OBD2 reader that gets the RPM's and speed readings. It takes about 45 secs to cold boot, but the reverse camera image will appear right away if you're backing up while it's still booting.

Last edited by valeoray; 09-07-18 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-07-18, 12:08 PM
Kenny88880
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

What did you pay for this?
Old 09-07-18, 12:24 PM
valeoray
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kenny88880
What did you pay for this?
$950 CAD installed.
Old 09-07-18, 12:52 PM
Phantom_89
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Where did you get this installed? Do you know what the actual name for the unit is? Is that the USB cable coming out of the air vent?

Would like to find out more about it.
Old 09-07-18, 12:57 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by valeoray
It takes about 45 mins to cold boot
You mean 45 seconds?
Old 09-07-18, 08:13 PM
valeoray
Intermediate

Originally Posted by metaleckz

You mean 45 seconds?
Yes. I've fixed my original post.
Old 09-07-18, 08:16 PM
valeoray
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Phantom_89
Where did you get this installed? Do you know what the actual name for the unit is? Is that the USB cable coming out of the air vent?

Would like to find out more about it.
I got it installed at a local shop. The USB cable you see is one that I've installed to power my phone. There are 2 USB female ports that are branched into the glove compartment. There is also an external mic and GPS module.

Last edited by valeoray; 11-03-18 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-16-21, 01:04 AM
JoeyChong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by valeoray
Hey folks,

I got this Tesla radio installed locally. This version doesn't have a DVD player. It has 2GB RAM and 32GB ROM. I'm not sure if it's an octacore or quadcore....most likely quadcore.

I do not have any of the three main issues that others have with their Tesla style or landscape 10" radios such as airbag error light, incorrect radio frequency, and temperature readings not showing.

The issues I do have are:
1) Glare on the screen despite the installer saying it comes with an antiglare protector. I actually ripped this protector off and ordered a matte protector which is on its way.
2) Wifi not autoconnecting to my phone hotspot (tried android and iphone). You have to manually connect to the phone hotspot. It does autoconnect with my home router, so something is different between a router wifi access point and a phone access point. My kid's also have to manually connect their ipads to their mom's iphone hotspot everytime when we're out somewhere. Lately, it's been disconnecting from my Redmi phone hotspot frequently. Today, I tried a Samsung phone and it seems to have a continuous connection.
3) The Iphone wifi mirrorlink works great and will connect to the iphone hotspot. Android USB and wifi mirroring requires the Easycon app on your phone (looks like Android Auto), but does not connect to the android hotspot.
4) The bluetooth call volume is significantly lower than the radio, so if you don't remember to turn down the volume after a call, you will get a rude awakening.
5) If listening to the radio, the GPS will cut the radio sound out to give voice commands (kind of annoying as there is a slight pause before and after a voice command). If listening to USB or bluetooth music, the music volume goes down a bit so you can still hear it as the GPS gives out voice commands.
6) RDS for the radio works, but the information is scrolling in a tiny column (see "PS: Brazda" below in the picture).

Other than that, everything else seems to work. I downloaded Youtube, Netflix (takes 1 to 2 mins to load up), Waze, etc. The screen is at its full brightness which appears to be bright enough. If the headlights are on, the screen will dim (can be adjustable). There is a wired OBD2 reader that gets the RPM's and speed readings. It takes about 45 secs to cold boot, but the reverse camera image will appear right away if you're backing up while it's still booting.
Hi Valeoray, I am interested in getting one of the units but I have read various post and found some other problems too so I would like to get clarified before getting one. Is your hazard light button working? Also, did you install this unit with the original backup camera? Last question, did your car originally come with Mark Levinson sound system and Satnav?
Old 05-16-21, 06:30 AM
valeoray
Intermediate

Hi JoeyChong,

Yes, my hazard button is working.
I used an aftermarket backup camera as my car didn't have one.
My car didn't have the ML systems or Satnav.