IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question about splicing a LOC for aftermarket sub and amp.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-18, 12:53 AM
Jersh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about splicing a LOC for aftermarket sub and amp.

I have a 2008 IS250 without navigation or ML system. I've already got my power and ground for my aftermarket amp in and ready to go, but I'm stuck at the Line output converter. I bought the Scoche LOC2SL (I attached a photo of it) and basically I just need to know whether it's better to splice into the stock headunit (before the factory amplifier), door speakers, post factory amplifier, or if I should literally just reroute the factory sub connections from the factory sub straight to the LOC.

I've also heard that LOC can melt and I'm just curious at to what I can do to prevent that from happening. Don't care so much for the $20 LOC as much as getting melted plastic in the trunk carpets or wherever I end up putting the LOC.
Old 09-12-18, 07:03 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Jersh
I have a 2008 IS250 without navigation or ML system. I've already got my power and ground for my aftermarket amp in and ready to go, but I'm stuck at the Line output converter. I bought the Scoche LOC2SL (I attached a photo of it) and basically I just need to know whether it's better to splice into the stock headunit (before the factory amplifier), door speakers, post factory amplifier, or if I should literally just reroute the factory sub connections from the factory sub straight to the LOC.

I've also heard that LOC can melt and I'm just curious at to what I can do to prevent that from happening. Don't care so much for the $20 LOC as much as getting melted plastic in the trunk carpets or wherever I end up putting the LOC.
Everything from the factory headunit to the amp is digital, you can't use a LOC until after the amplifier and even then fyi you will be subject to the stock crossover points which limit what the sub will be playing.
The following users liked this post:
Jersh (09-12-18)
Old 09-12-18, 08:02 PM
Jersh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well at least I know to plug up post amp now. When you say "you will be subject to the stock crossover points which limit what the sub will be playing." What do you mean by that?

Also I've decided I'm going to splice into the factory amp into the factory subwoofer wires. Is this a good idea or should I do something else like tap into the bottom rear speakers instead? I broke a cheap ratchet trying to get the 10mm bolt for the trunk net that's near the factory amp out to get access to the bolts holding the front most part of the factory amp out for easier access to the wiring for splicing.

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-31-18, 03:25 PM
Tussy
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://pac-audio.com/catalog/amppro...xus&results=21
AMPPRO works like a charm for me. Stock crossover point means where the factory system rolled off the frequencies ( The signals you get tapping into the amplifier are already equalized to match the speakers the were meant for. )
Old 11-01-18, 05:52 AM
Zynthe
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

That LOC is garbage (Scoche LOC2SL). When I had it setup to my subs, they didnt really pound and I hav 10"x2. I thought it was my speakers at first but after doing some research and talking to my audiophile buddies, they advised me the LOC was the bottleneck in my system. once I switched to the LOC below, my system now pounds.

Source: I had it before I replaced it

Might i suggest you spend a little more and get a LC2i:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Zynthe; 11-01-18 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Clarified garbage LOC
Old 11-01-18, 06:47 AM
Tussy
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Zynthe
That LOC is garbage. When I had it setup to my subs, they didnt really pound and I hav 10"x2. I thought it was my speakers at first but after doing some research and talking to my audiophile buddies, they advised me the LOC was the bottleneck in my system. once I switched to the LOC below, my system now pounds.

Source: I had it before I replaced it

Might i suggest you spend a little more and get a LC2i:
https://www.amazon.com/AudioControl-.../dp/B00IIL0LW0
The LC2i is good. Had it installed too. The AMPPRO takes the signal before between the stero and amplifier, with much better full range signal than lthe LC2i. I use the Audison bitten so I dont use the other features in the amppro. Downside is it costs more than double the LC2i (More than double the features though).
Old 11-01-18, 11:13 AM
Zynthe
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tussy
The LC2i is good. Had it installed too. The AMPPRO takes the signal before between the stero and amplifier, with much better full range signal than lthe LC2i. I use the Audison bitten so I dont use the other features in the amppro. Downside is it costs more than double the LC2i (More than double the features though).

Sorry I didnt mean the LOC you linked. I was talking about the Scoche that OP linked.