IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Unlocking of car with key fob is intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-18, 01:55 PM
Amamdani15
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unlocking of car with key fob is intermittent

So I just bought my second IS250 after my first one got totalled and I’m having trouble locking and unlocking the car with the key fob.

sometimes I can unlock and lock the car every time I press a button on the fob and it registers the click immediately. But usually the case is that I hit the button and nothing happens and I hit the button up to 20 times and then it finally works.

I just replaced the battery so I know that that isn’t the issue, but I have no idea where to start troubleshooting and what to do to fix it.

Here is a video documenting the issue.
Old 09-26-18, 08:30 PM
Jersh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Amamdani15
So I just bought my second IS250 after my first one got totalled and I’m having trouble locking and unlocking the car with the key fob.

sometimes I can unlock and lock the car every time I press a button on the fob and it registers the click immediately. But usually the case is that I hit the button and nothing happens and I hit the button up to 20 times and then it finally works.

I just replaced the battery so I know that that isn’t the issue, but I have no idea where to start troubleshooting and what to do to fix it.

Here is a video documenting the issue. https://youtu.be/D-csy0oLgZk
Does it work fine with the door sensors? how about the puddle lights on the mirrors? Do then turn on when you are next to them with the key? I'm at work and can't look at the video :/
Old 09-26-18, 09:24 PM
Amamdani15
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jersh
Does it work fine with the door sensors? how about the puddle lights on the mirrors? Do then turn on when you are next to them with the key? I'm at work and can't look at the video :/

The puddle lights illuminate when I walk up and the door handles usually work for both unlocking and locking. Every once in a while, they are buggy.
Old 09-26-18, 09:47 PM
Jersh
Driver School Candidate

The puddle lights illuminate when I walk up and the door handles usually work for both unlocking and locking. Every once in a while, they are buggy.
Do you have a spare fob? Does that one work flawless? I've had my is250 for about a month and a half and I've never had a problem with mine. I was given a spare fob, but its dead. I'm not too sure how to help you out, but I did find this thread on myis https://www.my.is/forums/f115/someti...remote-435703/ maybe you can find an answer there.
Old 09-26-18, 11:12 PM
Amamdani15
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jersh
Do you have a spare fob? Does that one work flawless? I've had my is250 for about a month and a half and I've never had a problem with mine. I was given a spare fob, but its dead. I'm not too sure how to help you out, but I did find this thread on myis https://www.my.is/forums/f115/someti...remote-435703/ maybe you can find an answer there.
Mine only came with one fob. I'm going to search to see if someone can program one for my car cheaper than the dealership.

I looked thru that thread tho and it doesn't seem like it's any of the actuators because i have sat in the car and hit the button on the fob and not had it work, but then it works fine with the switch next to the window controls. So I figured that wasn't the issue

I don't know anything about the receiver in the car and am not sure on how to diagnose the remote, so I was hoping there was some documentation or direction in which to go.

Have you tried swapping the batteries on the fobs? Or is that the fob itself that has some sort of failure?
Old 09-27-18, 01:12 AM
Jersh
Driver School Candidate

Mine only came with one fob. I'm going to search to see if someone can program one for my car cheaper than the dealership.

I looked thru that thread tho and it doesn't seem like it's any of the actuators because i have sat in the car and hit the button on the fob and not had it work, but then it works fine with the switch next to the window controls. So I figured that wasn't the issue

I don't know anything about the receiver in the car and am not sure on how to diagnose the remote, so I was hoping there was some documentation or direction in which to go.

Have you tried swapping the batteries on the fobs? Or is that the fob itself that has some sort of failure?
The battery is just dead in my spare fob.
Old 09-27-18, 06:12 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Pop the fob apart, take the battery out. Wash the membrane in warm soap and water, rinse, dry on lint free cloth. Wipe the PCBA with alcohol. Allow to dry.

If - IF there is any trace of sticky sugar like or gummy anything found, gently clean the PCBA with warm soap and water too. Then wipe w alcohol and allow to dry. Be sure to clean the battery contacts too.
Assemble when dried.
Old 09-27-18, 06:55 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

It looks like the remote is flashing some kind of error code. If anyone can interpret what that means, it may help.
Old 09-28-18, 10:05 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Have you replaced the battery on the Key FOB?
Old 09-28-18, 10:07 AM
Amamdani15
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Pop the fob apart, take the battery out. Wash the membrane in warm soap and water, rinse, dry on lint free cloth. Wipe the PCBA with alcohol. Allow to dry.

If - IF there is any trace of sticky sugar like or gummy anything found, gently clean the PCBA with warm soap and water too. Then wipe w alcohol and allow to dry. Be sure to clean the battery contacts too.
Assemble when dried.

I cleaned out the fob and had no luck. I had already tried opening it up and using just the buttons inside and that had failed and this didn't help either.

Thanks for the idea tho
Old 09-28-18, 10:08 AM
Amamdani15
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nosurprise
It looks like the remote is flashing some kind of error code. If anyone can interpret what that means, it may help.

That's actually normal when you are withing range of the car for the smart key features. Things like grabbing the handle or pushing the trunk button.
Old 09-28-18, 10:09 AM
Amamdani15
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Have you replaced the battery on the Key FOB?

Yep! First thing I tried 😭
Old 09-28-18, 11:46 AM
sb217fo
Driver School Candidate

Here is a video documenting the issue. https://youtu.be/D-csy0oLgZk
Have you check your battery? (main car battery) Low batt can cause that
Old 09-28-18, 11:49 AM
Amamdani15
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sb217fo
Have you check your battery? (main car battery) Low batt can cause that

Haven't had any issues with the car starting or anything, but I'll connect it to my other car with jumper cables and try it out. I'd be so happy if it was a simple issue.

For the time being, I bought a used key fob on eBay and techstream with the cable. My plan is to program that key and figure out if the smart key is the issue or if it's something else.

Really appreciate all the help!
Old 09-28-18, 06:38 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

That's actually normal when you are withing range of the car for the smart key features. Things like grabbing the handle or pushing the trunk button.
oh, ok; my 2008 doesn't do that.

Quick Reply: Unlocking of car with key fob is intermittent