IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bird chirping noise when engine is running

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-18 | 05:00 PM
cherishzm
Pit Crew

Default Bird chirping noise when engine is running

My wife's IS350 started making this bird chirping noise yesterday morning (Please see the attached video). This evening, I had her start the engine and didn't hear the noise but somehow when she put the gear to R, the noise came back again. Noise disappeared when in 'P'. I had a failing water pump on it replaced 4 years ago it was okay till recently (and remember the noise was not the same as this time - it was louder metallic noise). Somehow I decided to open the radiator cap and some coolant came out (was wearing a glove). Closed the cap, cleaned the mess a bit and had the wife start the car again after few mins. The noise is gone.. Cleaned the engine bay and let it dry for about an hour. Then I started it and didn't hear the noise. Took it for a short ride to a grocery store and came back and the noise is back again!! (the video was taken after the short trip at idle).

Did a quick research and looks like it might be coolant noise? Or alternator?

Any inputs would be helpful!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2258.TRIM.MOV (4.93 MB, 720 views)
Old 09-28-18 | 05:15 PM
Petet
Lead Lap

Sounds like an idler or tensioner Pully squeak. With engine running put a long screw driver on the bolt to the Pully. Put your ear to the handle and listen. The louder of the 2 is the culprit. But be very careful with the screw driver not to hit any moving parts.
Old 09-28-18 | 05:22 PM
cherishzm
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Petet
Sounds like an idler or tensioner Pully squeak. With engine running put a long screw driver on the bolt to the Pully. Put your ear to the handle and listen. The louder of the 2 is the culprit. But be very careful with the screw driver not to hit any moving parts.
Thanks for the quick reply. Where is the 'bolt' to the pully?? I may try that but if either of the two parts will need to be replaced anyway, I might take it to my mechanic to take care of that tomorrow. How expensive is the part?
Old 09-28-18 | 05:55 PM
Petet
Lead Lap

There on the front of the motor tensioner is a spring loaded pulley that puts tension on your belt. I think there about $180. Idler is in the same area. Probably about $60 plus a belt.
Old 09-29-18 | 05:42 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

On my car it comes from the alternator.
Old 09-29-18 | 06:03 AM
cherishzm
Pit Crew

Appreciate suggestions! Taking it to a mechanic this morning to see what's going on. Will post updates later
Old 09-29-18 | 09:28 AM
cherishzm
Pit Crew

Default Update

So I went to my local mechanic and he was sure it was the belt (didn’t mention possibility of either pulley going bad). I had him order a replacement part from local part shop and replace it. Went back couple hours later to pick it up and the noise is much better, but not completely gone. . He did say tensioner pulley will need to be replaced as well. Not sure if the belt had to be replaced like he said... Drove it home and in a garage I couldn’t hear the noise against but will have to see.

By the way, when I arrived at the mechanic, the Lexus suddenly a red triangle warning popped up on the display with yellow low tire pressure light with message ‘check tire pressure system’. Was told by the mechanic one or more of sensors went bad.

Why are all these happening at once!! can Lexus dealer tell which fire pressure sensor is bad??
Old 09-29-18 | 09:49 AM
Petet
Lead Lap

Yes , repairs happen in 3. You only have 1 more problem to come. Lol
Old 09-29-18 | 05:52 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Before you pay for a tensioner and pulley, the noise happens when the belt hardens and slips over the pulleys.

A new belt on glazed pulleys can also slip. Spray it with household dish soap and water several times. When the glaze is gone the chirp will fade. Although humid days may make it slip and chirp.
Old 09-29-18 | 07:26 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Most tire shops will scan it for free. Don’t go to lexus for TPMS unless you bring a tub of Vaseline with you.
Old 09-30-18 | 11:02 AM
cherishzm
Pit Crew

Talking

Originally Posted by Petet
Yes , repairs happen in 3. You only have 1 more problem to come.
Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 09-30-18 | 11:04 AM
cherishzm
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Before you pay for a tensioner and pulley, the noise happens when the belt hardens and slips over the pulleys.

A new belt on glazed pulleys can also slip. Spray it with household dish soap and water several times. When the glaze is gone the chirp will fade. Although humid days may make it slip and chirp.
Thanks for the tips!

I've not heard chirps today so will see if the wife hears it again.
Old 09-30-18 | 11:05 AM
cherishzm
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Dx3
Most tire shops will scan it for free. Don’t go to lexus for TPMS unless you bring a tub of Vaseline with you.
I was going to ask Lexus to check it while it is brought in for the fuel line recall next week but I may just bring to a local tire shop. Thanks!
Old 09-30-18 | 07:01 PM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

I've had that chirp before, changed the belt tensioner and never heard it since and its been 3-4 years.
Old 10-02-18 | 11:05 AM
Gville350

Had a similar, occasional chirp. Thought it was a pulley. Purchased a replacement pulley. But first installed a new OEM belt I had sitting around to see if that would fix it. The belt was the only issue!

Just gives your more time to wear-in.

About the low tire pressure warning light, more than likely it is of course a TPMS that has gone bad or the battery is no longer working. Time to replace the set of four.

Quick Reply: Bird chirping noise when engine is running