IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oil Change Affected Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-18, 08:52 PM
parnassus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change Affected Transmission?

Hi all,

recently had a routine oil-change performed and immediately noticed, on the drive back, that the transmission was acting up - slipping, trouble shifting up until 3k+ rpm, over-reving in general. a day or two later, the engine throws an error code: Pressure Control Solenoid Perf/OffRead. i see the transmission is acting up on its own, but with regards to the layout of the engine, is there anyway that the mechanic performing the oil change had something to do with (somehow in his sloppy work) this new problem?

Thank you in advanced.
Old 10-04-18, 09:19 AM
primavera
Instructor

Received 313 Likes on 264 Posts

I would check the transmission drain plug and see if it was undone. Who knows maybe some dummy performed the oil change on your car, and accidentally drained some transmission fluid?
I suggest you do transmission fluid drain and fill.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ne-report.html
Old 10-04-18, 09:28 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Hi and welcome. How many miles, how has it been used, what engine and what year?

Engine oil can impact engine performance as valve timing is being done through a series of controlled oil leaks so oil quality can have some impact on performance or lack there of.

That said it should never cause the transmission to slip or act up as you have described here.

Two things: take it to automotive parts store and most will read the OBD codes for free. Capture and report everything.

Next drive it somewhere where you and tech can examine the vehicle in the air and look for signs that transmission fill & drain plugs have recently been tampered with.

These cars have what is referred to as a sealed transmission with no dipstick for checking the fluid level. It is a somewhat involved process and IF THE SHOP YOU TOOK IT TOO, pulled the overflow check plug on a hot transmission they could have lost precious fluid volume that is causing this issues.

Lexus/Toyota will want the car overnight and likely charge you $200 +/- $50 for a fluid check. Locally they want $300 for a complete flush!

Do not allow it to slip whereby the engine revs and car does not accelerate. That is permanent non-recoverable damage...

Good luck!
Old 10-04-18, 01:58 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by primavera
I would check the transmission drain plug and see if it was undone. Who knows maybe some dummy performed the oil change on your car, and accidentally drained some transmission fluid?
I have read about this being done before on another member's car. Get back to that place that did the oil change ASAP and see what happened!
Old 10-04-18, 03:33 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 313 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by parnassus
Hi all,

recently had a routine oil-change performed and immediately noticed, on the drive back, that the transmission was acting up - slipping, trouble shifting up until 3k+ rpm, over-reving in general. a day or two later, the engine throws an error code: Pressure Control Solenoid Perf/OffRead. i see the transmission is acting up on its own, but with regards to the layout of the engine, is there anyway that the mechanic performing the oil change had something to do with (somehow in his sloppy work) this new problem?

Thank you in advanced.
Don't confuse these guys with the real mechanics, they are NOT. They're just techies, corporate trained for 2 hours, mostly how to brainwash customers into buying their unnecessary services and products.

Old 10-04-18, 07:01 PM
parnassus
Driver School Candidate

hi, thank you! it's just shy of 160k, 2006. ive probably put 40k in and no trans work as far as I've had it.

the OBD code popped up as selonoid D stuck / off, but oddly enough, after I had the code pulled the check engine light + vsc light went away.

will definitely bring it back to the shop but not sure what specifically to demand them to check :\ that'll be the transmission fluid level, right?

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Hi and welcome. How many miles, how has it been used, what engine and what year?

Engine oil can impact engine performance as valve timing is being done through a series of controlled oil leaks so oil quality can have some impact on performance or lack there of.

That said it should never cause the transmission to slip or act up as you have described here.

Two things: take it to automotive parts store and most will read the OBD codes for free. Capture and report everything.

Next drive it somewhere where you and tech can examine the vehicle in the air and look for signs that transmission fill & drain plugs have recently been tampered with.

These cars have what is referred to as a sealed transmission with no dipstick for checking the fluid level. It is a somewhat involved process and IF THE SHOP YOU TOOK IT TOO, pulled the overflow check plug on a hot transmission they could have lost precious fluid volume that is causing this issues.

Lexus/Toyota will want the car overnight and likely charge you $200 +/- $50 for a fluid check. Locally they want $300 for a complete flush!

Do not allow it to slip whereby the engine revs and car does not accelerate. That is permanent non-recoverable damage...

Good luck!
Old 10-04-18, 07:02 PM
parnassus
Driver School Candidate

yeap gotta go back and kick up a fuss then, thanks for the ilnk!

Originally Posted by primavera
I suggest you do transmission fluid drain and fill.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ne-report.html
Old 10-07-18, 06:46 PM
leoferus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm an evil dealer technician with over 11 years of experience on Toyota and Lexus products. I won't tell you what to do but I will tell you that if you think your transmission is slipping you should not be driving your car. WS transmission do not like slippage one bit. It does not take long to cause irreparable damage. Whoever mentioned that, perhaps, the transmission fluid may have been mistakenly drained might be on to something.

And, as someone else mentioned... yep, I'd want your car overnight. Yep, I'd charge you to perform a fluid check. Scan for codes with Techstream. If codes pertain to fluid level perform fluid level check. I perform this check by using the Techstream to put the vehicle in inspection mode while monitoring trans fluid temp. The fluid check must be performed within the prescribed temperature range. If the level was low, adjust. Clear codes. Test drive. If no codes return and the transmission operates normally, done. If not, more diag.

Solenoid D stuck... Here's what Google has to say about that... because they made it a crime punishable by death for me to share TIS info:

Defective Pressure Control Solenoid
Dirty or contaminated fluid
Dirty or clogged transmission filter
Defective Transmission Pump
Defective Transmission Valve Body
Restricted hydraulic passages
Corroded or damaged connector
Faulty or damaged wiring Faulty PCM

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p2714
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

The above is written by engineers. Or put simply, the TCM is actuating the solenoid and it is expecting a clutch to engage. It is not seeing the expected result and so it sets the code. Six of eight possible causes are fluid related. P2714, correct? Solenoids do go bad but I'd check the fluid level first. It's not cheap to replace a solenoid because of the labor involved. If you've driven your vehicle with this condition I'd warn you, if you were my customer, that permanent damage may have already occurred.

Good luck.

Last edited by leoferus; 10-07-18 at 06:58 PM.