IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

RR Racing IS250 tune, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-18, 08:24 AM
mfdif
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default RR Racing IS250 tune, is it worth it?

Thinking about getting an RR tune for my 07 IS250 down the road, and wondering what you guys thought? I have only seen 1 brief review about it. Any other owners or independent dyno or track results? For me, I feel like this car needs more power in the upper rev range after 4k for passing power.

Is the RR tune additional 22whp advertised feel impressive or just "noticable" on these cars?

I've had off the shelf tunes on some of my other cars and it was kinda a mixed bag. For example, my old WRX the advertised cobb reflash brought it from 227hp to 265hp. It was noticeable, but underwhelming. It wasn't until you did downpipe + exhaust that it was impressive and that jump was a smaller advertised gain (265hp to a 285hp jump). My GTO had a predator reflash that advertised 20hp gain, but honestly felt no different.

Last edited by mfdif; 10-05-18 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-05-18, 09:08 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

no, its not like a turbo car where you can gain much more power. The tunes for the is200t for example are much more noticeable.
Old 01-27-19, 06:02 PM
Sonn
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mfdif
Thinking about getting an RR tune for my 07 IS250 down the road, and wondering what you guys thought? I have only seen 1 brief review about it. Any other owners or independent dyno or track results? For me, I feel like this car needs more power in the upper rev range after 4k for passing power.

Is the RR tune additional 22whp advertised feel impressive or just "noticable" on these cars?

I've had off the shelf tunes on some of my other cars and it was kinda a mixed bag. For example, my old WRX the advertised cobb reflash brought it from 227hp to 265hp. It was noticeable, but underwhelming. It wasn't until you did downpipe + exhaust that it was impressive and that jump was a smaller advertised gain (265hp to a 285hp jump). My GTO had a predator reflash that advertised 20hp gain, but honestly felt no different.
did you get he tune? i wanna do it for my is250 too lol. regretting not buying the 350 lol. have to stick with it now.
Old 01-27-19, 09:14 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

I have it. You'd only feel it in the upper range and that's evident by the numbers of 22whp and 5tq. If you're looking for something that's somehow going to make the IS250 quick the tune isn't it. Throttle response is much better though and more directly correlated with pedal position. Having 7200 RPM limit increase is nice, being able to hit 60 mph at the end of 2nd instead of shifting into 3rd. The tune just makes the car a bit more fun and lively. Being worth it is all dependent on you

View this post on Instagram
Old 01-28-19, 06:46 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,406 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by mfdif

Our gains have been tested through and through to make sure we aren't just selling a facade. We have been one of the only ones to crack the Lexus ECU's and make adjustments to further improve the engines. Timing, AFR's, and restrictions have been removed and adjusted as well as being able to increase the responsiveness of the car. It's worth the money for a little more pep in the 250.

In response to your other cars. WRX is boosted and gains will be dramatically different compared to an NA vehicle. In terms of your GTO, unless you got a CUSTOM tune through HP from a shop, a reflash is a joke and waste of money on most domestics. GM - HP Tuners / Ford - Diablo/SCT/HP for actual gains.

-Sean
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

The following 2 users liked this post by RRRacing:
infused2is (01-24-24), UdorNYC (07-22-20)
Old 01-28-19, 02:02 PM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

RR Racing, thanks for your work on this board. I noticed some dyno sheets on your website based on the tunes, they look great. But was wondering if you had any 1/4 mile times, 0-60 tests etc? Basically real world test comparison results vs. just Dyno Numbers?
Old 01-28-19, 05:12 PM
eddysoares
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had the rr racing tune on my 2007 is250 for about 3 weeks now. I got the tune at the same time as an invidia midpipe and a tanabe exhaust.

It changed my car on the highway. Passing someone around 45-70 mph is noticeably easier. I have a manual and every rpm past the stock rev limit is like the pot of gold at the end of 6 rainbows.

I don’t notice a really big difference from a dig or a huge difference in low speed 1st gear like it’s not gonna break traction just from hitting the gas but those freeway/highway pulls are like driving a different car.

Very very happy with the tune on my 2007.
Very much looking forward to their supercharger product in the works.
Also ppe headers and clutch/flywheel are on my to do list.
Old 01-28-19, 05:58 PM
lockedlex
Intermediate

It's great getting the seat of the pants feel, but I'd love to see some real "time" (not "hp"/Dyno) gains.

I have a 3rd Gen 4runner that I supercharged, I got a 60-70 improvement of ~30% faster acceleration.. That was real hard numbers/gains in real life.
I had a BMW with a pedalbox (only changes the responsiveness of the accelerator, paid like 250 for it) and it was a hoot to drive, made the car so much more "livelier" but wouldn't result in any increase performance.
I had a BMW with a tune, paid like 400 for it. Supposedly gave it a nice HP boost (the car had a twin turbo V8). It made it feel like it was breathing easier esp. at highway speeds, but really, the pedalbox made the most difference. I don't think the tune actually made the car any faster.
Old 01-28-19, 06:08 PM
eddysoares
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A shop near me has a mustang dyno and does 3 pulls for 100$. I’m trying to get an apt right now.

Bad part is is it will take me min 3 weeks before I can gets scheduled day off from work.

So I’ll be reporting back numbers from the dyno in a few weeks.
Old 01-28-19, 06:28 PM
lockedlex
Intermediate

I'd suggest getting some timed runs in instead. I've had BMW tunes which have shown a Dyno increase of 5-35hp..., but it resulted in pretty much 0 second change in timed runs. FWIW.

But of course, you'd need to have had the before-mods numbers for the dyno or time runs to know if it made a difference.
Old 01-28-19, 06:29 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Our gains have been tested through and through to make sure we aren't just selling a facade. We have been one of the only ones to crack the Lexus ECU's and make adjustments to further improve the engines. Timing, AFR's, and restrictions have been removed and adjusted as well as being able to increase the responsiveness of the car. It's worth the money for a little more pep in the 250.

In response to your other cars. WRX is boosted and gains will be dramatically different compared to an NA vehicle. In terms of your GTO, unless you got a CUSTOM tune through HP from a shop, a reflash is a joke and waste of money on most domestics. GM - HP Tuners / Ford - Diablo/SCT/HP for actual gains.

-Sean
If I have the tune done, it's only active in the S mode? Also, what's the Lexus calibration file that's required?
Old 02-18-19, 03:50 AM
soulific
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

i have a 06 manual is250. Also interested in the tune. So the tune is based off no additional mods such as intake and exhaust correct? After adding exhaust and intake the tune will still be optimal? Also whats the change in MPG?

May sound like stupid questions, but the only experience with a tune Ive had was on my volvo s40. The tuning company said any addition such as exhaust, turbo upgrade, intake, should be retuned so it can be dialed in.

Any answers on this and MPG would be great. If end up purchasing the tune Id also end up with a tanabe axle back and nvidia mid pipe as well.
Old 02-18-19, 05:43 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by nosurprise
If I have the tune done, it's only active in the S mode? Also, what's the Lexus calibration file that's required?
You have access to the power gains in all modes, it's just that for the 7200 rpm redline you have to use manual shifting in S mode.

Originally Posted by soulific
i have a 06 manual is250. Also interested in the tune. So the tune is based off no additional mods such as intake and exhaust correct? After adding exhaust and intake the tune will still be optimal? Also whats the change in MPG?

May sound like stupid questions, but the only experience with a tune Ive had was on my volvo s40. The tuning company said any addition such as exhaust, turbo upgrade, intake, should be retuned so it can be dialed in.

Any answers on this and MPG would be great. If end up purchasing the tune Id also end up with a tanabe axle back and nvidia mid pipe as well.
I haven't heard of any updates to the tune yet. As far as I know it's a stock tune. They haven't released a bolt on tune as of yet so I'm not sure how optimal it would be, but given that the exhaust and intake don't add too much HP it's possible it doesn't make too much difference? My MPG is about the same or worse now that I drive harder with the tune XD it feels good to shift at 7200rpm and given that the 22whp gain is more mid to high end it makes me want to drive faster on the highway, not that I condone that
Old 07-27-19, 01:49 PM
SebaPR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it help with the rev hang? I know it is flywheel related but it also has to do with the ecu helping with combustion of unburnt fuel.
I also have a manual and want something to feel the car less dead after 5krpm lol
Old 07-27-19, 09:23 PM
B_390_LU
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can this OBD tune be used on Australian delivered 2007 IS250?

Thank you.

Quick Reply: RR Racing IS250 tune, is it worth it?