IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TPMS issue, new sensors

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-18, 07:43 PM
Lowrider25
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS issue, new sensors

My 2007 is350 had no sensors in it when I bought it. I did some research on here about which sensors to buy and picked up all 4 brand new for $80 and had them installed. I took my car into the local dealer for a recall and they programmed the sensors for free. The light came back on 40 miles later and I was not able to reset the light. I put about 700 miles on with the light ON and had to bring the car in for another recall. They said they couldn’t get the sensors to set and sometimes aftermarket ones will set but then lose memory. They suggested buying sensors from them and having them installed.

My questions are..... Do I need to buy another set of sensors and have them installed and programmed to get this light off? Is there any other way to get my display to not constantly read “check system” with the tire light icon under it?

My entire reason for spending the $$ in the first place was to simply get the display to stop saying “check system”. I couldn’t care less about the actual function of the sensors.

Attached is a pic of the sensors i have installed.
Old 10-21-18, 09:02 PM
DMV350
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Last edited by DMV350; 01-16-19 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-21-18, 10:40 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

What brand is your third party sensors? I have VDO, a non OEM sensor, and they have been working fine for the last 3 years with no issues. Your dealer may be gaming you. If you have a Discount Tire in your area, try them. The program TPMS sensors for free.

Lou
Old 10-25-18, 02:37 PM
Lowrider25
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flowrider
What brand is your third party sensors? I have VDO, a non OEM sensor, and they have been working fine for the last 3 years with no issues. Your dealer may be gaming you. If you have a Discount Tire in your area, try them. The program TPMS sensors for free.

Lou
I got them from a company on eBay called E motors USA out of Griffith, IN. I don’t think the dealer was looking for a sale since he didn’t quote my on them, just suggested having oem sensors installed and that they charge $60 for that. I’ve only been to the dealer twice. Recall the first time, they set sensors for free, and they put $48 in gas to fill the tank. Then again last week for a recall in which they also topped the tank off with $55 in gas.
Old 10-25-18, 06:56 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^You're making it tough to help you guy. I did a search on eBay for E motors USA and came up with nothing. Have a link by any chance?

Lou
Old 10-25-18, 08:13 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

Should of just bought some Denso sensors, they are the OEM sensor anyways. They're only $33. Worth it since they'll work.
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-26-18, 04:48 PM
Lowrider25
Driver School Candidate

They’re using the screen name superstreetparts on eBay. Listed for $79.99 for set of 4.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F322025796955

I looked for hours on what sensors to go with and even considered making a setup out of pvc to put them in just to get the light to go out but decided just to put them on the wheels so they can trip the idiot light. I ordered them only after being recommended by numerous people the ones I ordered. Is there any way to disable the tpms function so it doesn’t display the “check system”?

Last edited by Lowrider25; 10-26-18 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-26-18, 06:55 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^AFAIK, no sensor fits that many Lexus vehicles. I the FCC numbers have changes making the same sensor not compatible with all model years. Again, that's my understanding. If I were you, I'd bring them to a Discount Tire store to see if they can program them, it not, return them for a refund. Then get, a name brand set.

Lou
Old 10-27-18, 01:14 AM
Lowrider25
Driver School Candidate

I’ll give it a try at Discount Tire. Returning them is probably out the question since I bought them about 4 months ago. I waited 2 months to install them until I bought new rear tires, had them programmed, light came on a week later, and then let the car sit for a month. I’m driving it regularly now and it’s the only issue I’m having.
Old 10-27-18, 02:32 PM
Storino
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is based on my current understanding as I try to fix own 2007 IS250 with a flashing TPMS light. As indicated below, I have read how aftermarket sensors are finicky and may need to be reprogrammed in your type of situation. I am just going to cut and paste this off my automotive notes. Sensor Initialization and Registration are two important steps in getting a TPMS system to work. Not an easy subject.I hope this helps someone.

Direct (dTPMS) tire-pressure monitoring systems employ wireless pressure sensors (transmitters) located at each wheel and mounted inside the rim; sometimes a fifth sensor is also used in the spare tire. These sensors measure the pressure (and sometimes temperature) in the tire and transmit this data along with their unique transmitter IDs in a radio signal to the tire pressure monitor Electronic Control Unit (ECU)/receiver.TPMS sensors operate in the UHF spectrum (either 315mhz or 433mhz). The majority of TPMS sensors are powered by batteries which limit their useful life. To save power and extend battery life, most battery-operated sensors implement an acceleration sensor and are only operational when movement is detected, usually beyond 15 mph or so.Sensors also respond to TPMS tool trigger signals where the sensor responds with information (transmitter ID, Tire Pressure, Tire Temperature, Battery Status, Frequency) that can be displayed by the tool. Some sensors design utilizes a wireless power system similar to that used in RFID tags (electromagnetic induction) which solves the problem of limited battery life.Sensor batteries usually last 7-11 years or about 100,000 miles, whatever comes first.Sensor batteries are not replaceable, so when the battery dies, the whole sensor needs to be replaced. The use of flat tire sealants will damage sensors and void their warranty, so these products should be avoided.Pacific Industrial makes many of the TPMS systems utilized by Japanese manufacturers, including to Toyota.

A typical TPMS system consists of 4-5 tire sensors / transmitters, two or more antennas, a TPMS ECU / Receiver, one or several warning lights located in the combination meter assembly (dashboard) and some sort of dashboard interface used to interact with the system to one extent or another. The TPMS ECU is also connected to the OBD-II DLC3 port which allows communication with certain TPMS tools and scanners.

The nature of how a TPMS system operates is quite simple. Reference tire pressures values are loaded into the TPMS system (ECU) through a process called Initialization.The Initialization process sets the initial threshold of low-pressure for each tire being monitored. While the vehicle is in motion, the ECU compares the reference values against the current reported tire pressure and temperature information sent by the sensors via radio signals. Based on overall system design, the ECU’s algorithm, what it monitors, and the checks and comparisons it performs, the ECU will then illuminate the corresponding warning light(s) on the dashboard whenever an out of range pressure or temperature condition is detected or in the event of a system malfunction.Most TPMS systems will warn you of either tire under inflation and over inflation. There will be TPMS specific DTCs that can be stored when a malfunction is detected.WARNING LAMP BEHAVIOR:Some vehicles implement separate TPMS warning lights; one for an out-of-range tire pressure/temperature condition and the other to indicate a system malfunction. If only one warning light is used, a steady light usually means a pressure/temperature problem, while a flashing condition usually means a system malfunction has been detected; such as when a transmitter stops reporting for whatever reason.During a malfunction situation, the light may just flash for a couple of minutes when you first start the engine, then it changes to steady illumination the rest of the time.Understanding Replacement Sensor

Options and the Tool Capabilities You Will Need

Tire pressure sensors have a unique transmitter ID number that must be programmed into the TPMS ECU through a Registration process, following a factory specific procedure and usually requiring a specialized electronic tool (in most cases a TPMS tool or compatible scanner). Sensor registration is an important and required step in order to get the system configured and operational. If using a scanner to perform Registration, you will probably need one with enhanced capabilities to do this. Be aware that some vehicles use or allow dual registration where the registration being used is determined through a dashboard driven selection process; this is to allow the use of different wheel sets, such as for summer and winter tires. One problem with the dual registration feature is that if this selection were to be inadvertently changed, this will cause a bogus malfunction situation. In vehicles with dual registration, this is one of the first things you need to check when a malfunction condition is reported. Initialization is about programming the ECU with tire pressure reference values following a factory specific procedure that can usually be accomplished by following a simple dashboard-driven selection process.Keep in mind that many times, system Initialization must always follow any Registration changes. Even if you have already Initialized the system, if for whatever reason you had to execute any Registration related changes, you will probably have to repeat the Initialization process after that.

FIXING THE PROBLEM

To summarize some important points. Transmitter IDs need to be programmed into the ECU following a Registration process. Transmitter IDs are usually expressed in Hexadecimal format.The ECU needs tire pressure reference points established following an Initialization process.Many times, if you effect changes to the ECU Registration, you will probably have run the Initialization (again) afterwards. You should understand the TPMS warning light setup for your particular vehicle.A steady TPMS warning light usually means an out-of-range tire pressure or temperature condition has been detected.A flashing TPMS warning light usually means a system malfunction has been detected.The warning light may only flash for a couple of minutes after engine start up and remain steady after that.Troubleshooting mounted sensors, getting their transmitter ID, operational status, operational frequency, tire pressure, temperature, etc. requires the use of a TPMS tool that can be used to trigger each sensor for their information.A TPMS tool will also be needed if you are using a programmable aftermarket sensor product.The Registration aspect of the process can be handled using a TPMS tool that has this capability (not all of them do) or a scanner with factory enhanced capabilities that can communicate with the TPMS ECU through the DLC3 (OBD-II) port.

STICK WITH OE REPLACEMENT SENSORS: In most cases, you are better off sticking with OE sensors, even if they cost more. For starters, the battery in OE sensors usually last 7-11 years compared to usually 3-5 years (or less) in the case of aftermarket sensors. OE sensors are also more reliable than aftermarket ones.Breaking down a tire to access a bad sensor and the entire process of replacing a bad unit can be costly and frustrating. Aftermarket sensors tend to be more finicky, such as when an out-of-range condition has occurred and you fix the problem, the warning light may not go off and the sensor may have to be reprogrammed, which again, requires breaking down the tire. Some counter-argue that Aftermarket sensors are generally cheaper, easier to install and much better designed than the first generation of OEM sensors. When it’s time to replace a sensor, you may or may not have options.Earlier versions of these systems when they first came out may have been designed differently and because of this, some vehicles limit you to using only OE sensors.For example, in the case of my 2007 Lexus IS250, Discount Tire made it clear to me that the ECU will not accept Registration for the aftermarket sensors that they use. They can replace and Register the Lexus sensor for you, but you must provide your own OE sensors.When it comes to aftermarket pressure sensors, there are different kinds, each with their unique set of requirements. These sensors come as “programmable”, “universal” or “cloneable” type units.Every car has different sensors.

Types of Replacement TPMS Sensors

Direct fit sensors are the OEM sensors that were originally installed by the manufacturer. These sensors will generally only work on cars of the same make. Sometimes, as with BMW, the sensor will not even cover all cars of the same make, but only a few models within the make. This has led to literally hundreds of different direct fit sensors out there, all of which must be either stocked directly or easily available to cover the number of different cars an installer sees every week.Pre-programmed sensors are aftermarket sensor platforms that have multiple make and model types already preloaded onto the sensor. Because sensors communicate using radio frequencies at either 315mhz or 433mhz, at least two different sensors are generally needed to cover the vast majority of vehicles. Because of programming differences, it's more likely that a pre-programmed solution would require 3 or 4 different sensors to cover everything, which is still better than hundreds.Programmable sensors are essentially blank sensors which can have the proper information for the year make and model of the car simply programmed in by means of a special tool. This generally requires the shop to carry no more than two sensors, one for each radio frequency, and as new vehicles and sensors come onto the market, the new programming information can simply be downloaded to the tool.
Configurable Sensors have protocols and parameters already stored in the sensor which only need to be activated by a tool to make the sensor compatible with the vehicle.

EXPLANATION ON TPMS TOOL FEATURES, OPTIONS AND COST

Not all TPMS tools and scanners are created the same, have the same features or capabilities. The extent to which you end up needing one or another feature will depend on the situation and the steps required every time you need to work on TPMS systems. The type of TPMS tool you decide to acquire will depend on what you intend to do and how much you are willing to spend.Following are three critical features to look out for in TPMS tools:

1) Sensor Reading: Ability to read and display pressure sensor data. Check sensor data (trigger and read sensor reported data). This allows you to test your sensors before working on the vehicle. Important: Not all sensors are designed to activate and respond to a TPMS tool triggering frequency. This is not a tool limitation but something intrinsic to how the TPMS system was designed.The earlier TPMS systems are the ones most likely to exhibit this problem. An alternate method to identify which sensor is ID1, ID2, ID3 and ID4 is to drop the pressure for each tire and watch the Tire Inflation Pressure parameter change as you interface with the ECU. This is the most basic feature and just about any TPMS tool can read pressure sensors.To understand:how many different vehicle brands can it handle?Does the tool allow you to select different vehicle manufacturers and models?

2) Sensor Programming: Ability to program aftermarket sensors. To understand: how many different aftermarket sensor brands can it program?This is a more advance feature and not all TPMS tools have this.

3) Sensor ID Registration: Ability to Register Sensor ID into TPMS ECU / Sensor Registration / Relearn / OBD-II Routines. If a sensor transmitter ID changes, you will have to be able to perform this step to get the system operational. Not all tools offer this capability. To understand: how many different vehicle manufacturers will the tool support? This is an advanced feature only present in the more expensive TPMS tools usually acquired by shops.You may already have this capability if you own a scanner with factory enhanced capabilities.

COST: Basic TPMS tools offering features 1 and 2 only will usually cost around $170 - $200.If you want a tool offering features 1, 2 and 3 you are looking at a cost increase of around $700. So, a full-fledged tool that supports most vehicles and that offers all three features start around $800-$900.Again, if you already have a scanner with factory enhanced capabilities, it should already be able to perform feature 3, in which case, as a DIYer, it might just be better to go with a TPMS tool that offers features 1 and 2 only.If you do away with feature 3 on the TPMS tool, you will always need the scanner enhanced interface for the vehicles that you work on; where if the TPMS has it, you should always have the capability for any (most) vehicle that you work on. A final cost consideration includes software updating (licensing) any time you need to bring the tool up to current specs with current vehicles, and that depends on the tool features and the vendor. Be on the lookout for cheap tools where they make their money on the software updates. For example, you may acquire a full-fledged tool for $1,000 and the software updates cost $250 dollars for one year, or it may be a situation where the tool costs $600, but the software upgrades will cost you $700 or more.

TOOL SOFTWARE LICENSE UPDATING: A critical aspect behind any tool is the support it gets from the tool vendor.Cost and availability of software updates to keep the tool current for new vehicles is an important consideration and you should research this aspect carefully before deciding.You need to understand the process the vendor has established for updating the tool, the options for purchasing the updates, and how much this will end up costing. The vendor may have established an online updating process, in which case you will usually have to download and install their software interface application into your PC and then the updates are downloaded through your PC and into the tool. For this kind of scenario, license renewals are usually for a one-year term, where you can then update the tool as often as you would like during that period.Usually, when you buy the tool, it may already include a license and updating coverage for one to two years. You may have the option of purchasing the license renewal through the store that sold you the tool (Update Certificate), rather than going directly to the tool vendor which may charge you more.A one-year licensing renewal for a full-fledged tool usually costs around $200.This cost will vary depending on the features on your tool.You do not have to keep the licensing active buy renewing every year, but should rather only purchase the one-year license renewal any time you have a new vehicle manufactured after you purchased the tool.

Top TPMS diagnostic tool vendors include ATEQ (Livonia, MI), OTC Tools (Bosch, Warren, MI), Bartec USA (Sterling Heights, MI) and Autel (Shenzhen, China).

Last edited by Storino; 10-27-18 at 02:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bryan11 (11-22-23)