IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Front wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-18, 09:41 PM
Israelq95
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel bearings

Lately I've been getting this weird scratching sound when I slow down my car then immediately goes away. Doesnt do it all the time but it's very intermittent and only when I slow down. I've replaced rotors and brakes recently so I know it's not the issue.

I got a quote from lexus to get new wheel bearings its $412 each. Now i know OEM is better all the time but how critical are these if i go aftermarket? I usually go OEM but not sure if anyone has gone aftermarket and has had any issues with brands out there. Any suggestions are fine I'm open to hearing your thoughts and recommendations. And are these bolt on or press in?
Old 10-26-18, 02:14 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...uld-i-buy.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...placement.html

Last edited by MikeFig82; 10-26-18 at 02:18 AM.
Old 10-26-18, 02:28 PM
IS2Fuego
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have them check the brake system again, specifically the emergency/parking brake system! there's a spring or something behind the rotor, within the hub assembly that is for the parking brake.

I say this because,(I'll try to keep this short) I had some weird grinding/scratching noise, coming from my right rear wheel on my IS250. It would only happen every now & then, going away for a month or two sometimes. I usually noticed when it was very hot out or when it rained pretty hard. Sometimes it would be so loud, I thought my brake pads fell out or something. Just recently, It got so bad that I barely moved the car an inch & the rear wheel would be screaming, so I took it in and got it looked at, local shop said wrong brake pads were in the right rear brake system (impossible, I've done brakes a thousand times on multiple cars, the noise didn't start until some dummy tried jacking my wheels & my wheel fell off as a result a week later) I wanted the noise to be gone & didn't have much free time to do it myself, so I let them replace rotors & brake pads. An hour later, they called saying they MISSED SOMETHING Within the hub assembly, there is a spring that the parking brake is attached to; it was gone. and the rest of the hardware fell out when they were putting on the new rotor.

I replaced this spring (no idea what it was for at the time) when the dummy tried jacking my wheels & my wheel fell off. Complete set cost me $35 & took me a week to fix everything. So thankfully I had an extra set in the trunk for them to use, so they didn't charge me extra for the hardware but that was the ultimate conclusion of why my wheel was screeching/scratching the whole time. I spent $350 for a rear brake rotors + pads for nothing but rotors were gettin bad anyways but waste of money since I could have done it myself.
Old 10-26-18, 03:05 PM
Israelq95
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least that's a good pointer to look into if that's ever the case but forgot to mention it's my front passenger wheel. I just researched more info will probably go with some Timken bearings.

I'm just let these ones make the constant sound everytime before replacing because not all the time it does it and it's not very loud just an annoying sound when everything is quiet and ima park my car.