IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Upstream O2's DIY CONDENSED

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-18, 06:13 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

UPDATE #3

So a few months back I bought some items from someone who had sold their IS250. Included in the OEM parts basket was some lower intake gaskets. Since I've seen some threads of the 2 stage runner having issues with a loose nut from the electrical motor.

Out of curiosity I pulled the manifold out this morning. To check if it had a loose nut. What I did find is the runner blades where stuck open about 1/8" from gunk, and oil that has accumulated on it over the years. I pulled the electrical motor out and they immediately shut back in the closed position. I got a full can of carb, and choke cleaner. Cleaning as best as I could to remove the build up from the blades. The nut was loose, but not that loose. Eventually it was going to shake loose so I put loctite 242, and secured it back up.

I just hope I didn't over torque the nut since the gear is plastic. Anyways things I found wierd the bolts, that bolt to the block they were like a light torque spec. I really didn't have to put an effort to break them loose.

So I got everything put back together and it really seems to pull hard. There's really no delay as before. The throttle response is more linear to redline. It's cold out in the upper 48's in my neck of the woods. So far I'm very happy once again with the results. Since the blades where stuck open and not fully closing. I'm assuming that's why my car felt a little under powered before.

Here's the link of the nut that comes loose. I didn't find mine loose, but it was easy just to remove it. So eventually it would just back out. Car is sitting at 82k, and change. The runner flaps where stuck open at about 1/8" with gunk preventing from fully closing. I wish I took some photos, but I just wanted to finish today. Since I was working out side in the cold. The link will give you some ideas of what I'm talking about.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-solution.html

​​​​​​And my mileage is still doing well on my first run today after the work. Since replacing the O2 sensors. Another thing is I want to mention. Is that I soaked my old ones in gasoline. The bank 1 didn't release any durbis, but the Bank 2 as soon as it hit the fuel it turned black. It must of been clogged with carbon. So I soaked them again for about an hour. Swirled them around the glass jar again. This time the fuel stayed clean.

So for now I'll keep them as a back up. They might still be good. As I never really got a CE dummy light. Just horrible gas mileage.

80 mile trip today in upper 48's weather speed 70-80 mph all freeway driving. Some hard pulls at times. Keep in mine I have an AWD so it's heavy as can be.

​​​​