IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ECU Reset! What a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-18, 08:24 AM
stealth21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Reset! What a difference!

So thanks to many members here i have been reading up on the ECU resetting so yesterday i tried it. Let me share with you what was going on first.

I recently purchased the 2008 IS350 and what i noticed was a very inconsistent rev band, Lurching when braking in between downshifts in gears which felt very odd to me.

First and second gear my rpm would climb up to 3k and felt like rev hanging in 1st and 2nd gear.

So yesterday while i was at work i did the ECU reset by disconnecting the battery terminal at the battery. (Please note after doing this the windows did not roll down on the buttons from the drivers door panel, the fix was really simple thanks to reading up on it in these forums, go to each door and roll down and up, hold for 2 seconds blah blah blah).

First thing noticed was the idle was much calmer and stable. Fine I thought and I drove home which is about 20km and did not really feel much else of a difference, Parked the car when i got home and it sat overnight.

This morning I go to work and its a mix of city and highway driving. Next thing i notice is my brake lurching is now gone? I thought it was just a placebo effect but it's not lol.

After this i notice after i get off the highway, my gear shifts are not rev hanging at 3k rpm from a stop in 1st and 2nd as it did before, It shifted smoothly from 1st to 2nd at about 2500rpm and the entire gear band felt super smooth and not jerky as it did before.

This alone was such an awesome experience lol.

My theory is this...the previous driver must have been terribad with a consistent acceleration and braking standpoint. Either it was a really old person who just didnt have the muscle reflexes or really i am not sure because everything mentioned previously was so inconsistent before doing the reset it actually scared me a bit lol.

I thought i would just share my experience. Hope you guys can get the same feeling i did when did this.
Old 11-14-18, 10:17 AM
EZLex
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That does sound like a pretty noticeable difference! Glad something simple made a big change for you. I have the same thing with my IS where its jerky with the gears while braking. Does a weird thing where im about to come to a stop (maybe 10 km'h) and downshift pretty aggressively, its incredibly annoying. Is that what you had? Mine also hangs it the first gears long but i thought that would be better for acceleration so didnt think much of it lol. I tried the fuse trick for resetting the ECU a few weeks ago but noticed no change . I'll have to try disconnecting the battery, hopefully it works like yours.
Old 11-14-18, 10:55 AM
stealth21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine also similarly aggressively downshifted near the speeds you were speaking of like literally 15-20ft at about 10km/h from a stop light it would down shift very aggressively but that changed today on my way to work. Big difference.