IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2007 IS250 - headlight replacements

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-18, 08:03 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 IS250 - headlight replacements

I have the infamous HID lights that turn off then i have flip the switch and they turn back on for a few minutes then the same nonesense all over again, I replaced the driver side HID thinking the bulb was the culprit but the problem was still there and now the passenger light is mis-behaving.

Has anyone just pulled their old headlights out and replaced with new ones that come with clean finish and new ballasts, if so what brand are you guys getting because stealership wants to charge me $1200 per headlight on a 10 year old car thats just ridiculous?
Old 11-25-18, 09:52 PM
EZLex
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same problem with my driver side headlight, was bad ballast. Ended up getting a TYC replacement online. Looks exact same as oem i cant tell the difference from my passenger side headlight with is the factory original. Has held up great for the last 8 months, no leakage or condensation. It was around $700. Looking back i kinda wished i just went with a set of aftermarket lights from SpecD or spyder or something. Think you can get a pair (driver and passenger) for less than i paid for one. I was wanting a oem look though but ive been happy with it.

Theres also those new-look LED headlights that are a pretty good price, dont think anyones tried them yet. https://www.vland-carlamp.com/Full_L..._19287711.aspx
Old 11-26-18, 07:04 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

I ended up purchasing the ballast from Amazon for $49.99 and replacing it myself. Took about an hour to remove the front bumper and the headlight pulls right out. The ballast comes with instructions for removing the connector and I fished it through and used the end of a coat hanger to grab it. Everything went back together in about 30 min. It's not hard at all just take your time.

Old 11-26-18, 06:12 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kevin3344
I ended up purchasing the ballast from Amazon for $49.99 and replacing it myself. Took about an hour to remove the front bumper and the headlight pulls right out. The ballast comes with instructions for removing the connector and I fished it through and used the end of a coat hanger to grab it. Everything went back together in about 30 min. It's not hard at all just take your time.

pretty cool, I may just pick up two because both lights are acting up. I shouldve picked up some of this MY2012 retrolights a few years back to update my 07 to the 2012 look with the LED checkmark.
Old 11-26-18, 06:13 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZLex
I had the same problem with my driver side headlight, was bad ballast. Ended up getting a TYC replacement online. Looks exact same as oem i cant tell the difference from my passenger side headlight with is the factory original. Has held up great for the last 8 months, no leakage or condensation. It was around $700. Looking back i kinda wished i just went with a set of aftermarket lights from SpecD or spyder or something. Think you can get a pair (driver and passenger) for less than i paid for one. I was wanting a oem look though but ive been happy with it.

Theres also those new-look LED headlights that are a pretty good price, dont think anyones tried them yet. https://www.vland-carlamp.com/Full_L..._19287711.aspx
ya based on the age of my car and the crude on the headlights i wish i got those 2012 retrofit lights.
Old 11-26-18, 06:51 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Here's the video I used to remove the front bumper...but get this I didn't disconnect the fog lights. I just pulled the bumper out enough on the passenger side to get the headlight out. I used a stack of books to support the bumper while I worked on the headlight. I actually left the drivers side connected underneath the wheel well.

Old 11-26-18, 11:02 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

Here's the video I used to remove the front bumper...but get this I didn't disconnect the fog lights. I just pulled the bumper out enough on the passenger side to get the headlight out. I used a stack of books to support the bumper while I worked on the headlight. I actually left the drivers side connected underneath the wheel well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIKKcpMJ--g
so you replaced the ballasts only? or replaced the headlights?

ive always read that replacing ballast is ridiculous due to having to pull apart headlight to reach ballast?
Old 11-27-18, 03:58 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I ended up pulling the cover lens out to get to the wiring. Some people can do it, I tried and failed, so I went the popping out the clear lens way. Which is not that bad, considering the multiple attempts I did, including splicing the wiring...a bad idea that did not work. I lost a ballast this way.
Old 11-27-18, 05:22 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Actually the cap on the ballast comes apart and you can fit the wires through. I was thinking I would have to take the headlight apart but kept fishing it through. Then I reconnected the cap at the end. You will need some kind of hook to grab the wires I used a coat hanger!
Old 11-27-18, 07:51 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Here is a video of how to take the socket apart...it's (almost) impossible to get through otherwise!! Once you do that the reassembly is easy.

Old 11-27-18, 06:34 PM
tbarrios
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same issue on my 2006 is 250. It happens like every other night.
Old 11-28-18, 12:24 PM
URAGEEK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by axis77
I have the infamous HID lights that turn off then i have flip the switch and they turn back on for a few minutes then the same nonesense all over again, I replaced the driver side HID thinking the bulb was the culprit but the problem was still there and now the passenger light is mis-behaving.

Has anyone just pulled their old headlights out and replaced with new ones that come with clean finish and new ballasts, if so what brand are you guys getting because stealership wants to charge me $1200 per headlight on a 10 year old car thats just ridiculous?

I just purchased a 2012 IS250 F-Sport from a dealer in September. The passenger light went out (same evening as purchased AND with no warning like my 2005 c230) and I never noticed till a neighbor told me. I assumed it was a ballast as mentioned in the forums here. I went to the dealer and they switched the bulb from the right side to the left side to eliminate the possibility of the ballast... (If the bulb goes out on the left- it's the bulb on the left, not the ballast on the right.) To our surprise, within 10 minutes, BOTH lights went out at the same time. If I turned the switch off then on again, both lights would come on. However, one or the other would turn off within a few minutes (or seconds), and this would repeat... In the end, the dealer replaced BOTH bulbs for me (free) and I haven't had any other issue. My service writer said that out of 100 issues, less than one time it has been the ballast. Keep in mind these were completely stock. Who can say with cheapo aftermarket? I say invest in the good stuff. So many fewer headaches.
Old 11-28-18, 07:02 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

must be nice...every other night. my driver side started a few years ago it just went out one day so i flipped the switch off then on and bam back on, well over the year is became more consistent like just a few minutes so ya my two lights go out at same time or one after the other so I look like the idtiot flashing everybody while driving.

besides this, my rpm gauge needle turns on about half way then flickers the rest of it when it wants, and my console light that has the P D R N only turns on when i pound the console. I have taken the console apart and reset the bulb but no go.
Old 11-28-18, 07:05 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

Here is a video of how to take the socket apart...it's (almost) impossible to get through otherwise!! Once you do that the reassembly is easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3txVEXAiHjk
this is where im confused, i thought the square device is the ballast and the ballast is integrated inside the headlight so the only way to replace the ballast square device is to rip apart the headlights or just buy new headlights with new ballast inside?
Old 11-28-18, 07:10 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

removing ballast from headlight assembly, this looks like a real challenge, is this how everyone does it?

these were the bulbs i purchased when I first tried swapping the bulb for a newer one
http://www.morimotohid.com/d4s-xb-xe...reselect=49472

Last edited by axis77; 11-28-18 at 07:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 2007 IS250 - headlight replacements