IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Experience with Lexus corporate cases

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-18, 05:58 AM
JBLUR
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Experience with Lexus corporate cases

Advice on cases with Lexus Corporate. As they understandably declined assistance after a report was submitted for estimate to rebuild engine due to what needs to be done in order to fix my pistons and whatever else is failing. Is it worth escalating or just cutting losses and moving on. I understand why they would decline to help with an expensive repair on an 11 year year old car. I just would really love to save the car due to the emotional attachment factor but I understand a car is just a car at the end of the day and need to make the sensible decision in regards to getting a reliable working car. Most likely would be going with a newer model lexus. 2007 with 106k right now

Any experiences appreciated.

Old 11-28-18, 08:12 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 183 Posts

Like I said in your other thread, it's a heck of a lot cheaper tossing in a refurb/junkyard engine than buying a whole new car. You're talking something with a monthly payment vs a one time expense. Just checking eBay right now, you can grab an engine with 45k miles for $949 (link), then toss in whatever labor would be at an indy shop, and that would end up running you around $2k for everything probably. I would take that in a heartbeat vs buying a new car unless I absolutely wanted a new car anyways since you're not going to get a nice car for less than $2k anyways. That's how I see it though.

To answer your question about escalating it... I mean, what do you have to lose at this point? You can ask and see what happens. Otherwise, do as I said above or whatever you want to move forward.
Old 11-28-18, 09:21 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Like you I've grown attached to my GS so it would take a lot for me to get rid of it. As Zmon mentioned just find a good used engine and a good indy shop and have them install it. You could always rent a car and use Uber until they get it done. It may take a few weeks but well worth it in the long run.
Old 11-28-18, 10:21 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

You can find a 14+ engine low miles too. It should drop right in. I think Jeff awhile confirmed it was possible.

Message Jeff Lange to confirm.
Old 11-28-18, 04:47 PM
Petet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a salvage yard engine and couldn’t be happier (now) I get complements all the time. when I tell people it’s an 08 there face drops. My wife drives it every chance she gets, over her 17 pathfinder. If any other major part breaks I would replace it with used. Like said, much cheaper than a car payment. I sure do enjoy driving my IS350.
Old 11-29-18, 05:05 AM
soulific
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
You can find a 14+ engine low miles too. It should drop right in. I think Jeff awhile confirmed it was possible.

Message Jeff Lange to confirm.

I would like to know about this as well! Jeff is the man with the knowledge, almost every important thread he gives the proper info.

Honestly the body styling on the 2is from a design stand point is actually really good, holds its own and has timeless elements. Beside the other issues like melting door panels/dash issue(I purchased used, and previous owner didnt get the recall/enhancement)...

Its worth holding onto I think, even more if you have sentimental value.

I have a manual 6 speed, and knock on would if anything happens to my motor I plan on swapping as well. Im already burning oil due to the pistons as well.... I would want to drop in a later is350 motor, or at least a later model is250 replacement when the time comes.