IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Balance of the RWD IS350

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-18, 10:17 AM
Hondabuff
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Balance of the RWD IS350

That time of year again in PA with the IS350 sucking in that dense 20* air and begging to be driven with traction control off. The Car really takes on a new personality on the salted cold roads. The sound of the engine whine mixed with the throaty burble of the Injen intake on the cold mornings is really such a treat. Launching from a red light the tach just climbs with ease with the mix of traction and wheel spin that will having you riding that bull until you let off the gas. Car feels so much more nimble on the cold roads and can be throttle steered out of corners with the precision of some of the best German cars out there. On warm dry roads the IS350 will always push through the turns and really takes a lot to break the rear end loose but on these cold late autumn mornings will have you flicking the car all over the place. Push slides, power slides, roll the gas, counter steer and check to make sure no one is looking and off to work you go. Days like this make me thankful cars like the RWD IS350 still exists!

Last edited by Hondabuff; 12-05-18 at 05:26 AM.
Old 11-29-18, 10:55 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

Nice write-up. As newer generations of vehicles continue to get heavier, a longer wheelbase, etc., I too am thankful that the 2IS sport sedan has a respectable weight distribution (52:48), curb weight (3,527 lbs), wheelbase (107.5 in), a potent dual-injector high-compression N/A V6 (with 90% of its peak torque available at 2,000 RPMs), and an aggressive final drive ratio (4.08).

For a V6 luxury sedan, it continues to be a fun sleeper car and is why I've kept mine for over a decade.
Old 11-30-18, 07:06 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

it's always fun when there's a little powder or slush on the ground even with AWD
Old 12-02-18, 10:55 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Gotta admit I love this car! It's so fun getting the hole shot on other players! I'm certain it would be more playful with a proper LSD! That said Black Friday only dropped $150 off the OS Giken LSD, so I didn't do it. It is going to happen tho!
@redspencer how is yours setup? Is it 1.5?

How many of you have weighed them? She's a bit tubby weighing in at 3,950#... but the split does reflect the 52/48.
Old 12-02-18, 01:03 PM
Petet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Gotta admit I love this car! It's so fun getting the hole shot on other players! I'm certain it would be more playful with a proper LSD! That said Black Friday only dropped $150 off the OS Giken LSD, so I didn't do it. It is going to happen tho!

How many of you have weighed them? She's a bit tubby weighing in at 3,950#... but the split does reflect the 52/48.
i agree this car is a blast to drive. I’ve always been a truck guy. Bought a car for my commute to work. I wasn’t looking to buy an Is. my top pick was a Maxima . Test drove a gs350 ,but then the look of the Is250 caught my eye. Test drove a few and the power just wasn’t there. Test drove the 350 and my smile was back. I actually really enjoy driving this thing.
And for being a sleeper, I just love stopping at a red light with a Honda next to me, potato shooting tail pipe and big wing. I usually let them get the jump so I can pass them laughing.
Old 12-02-18, 06:16 PM
2grfan
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The previous owner of my car put on Michelin Pilot sports on the front but a/s 3’s on the rear. My car has always been tail happy, and I love it. Then I added the rear bar. The brake dust is often more present on the rear wheels. Wish I got a little more freedom before the traction steps in, especially when the road isn’t level. But I still have fun.
Old 12-03-18, 06:03 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2grfan
The previous owner of my car put on Michelin Pilot sports on the front but a/s 3’s on the rear. My car has always been tail happy, and I love it. Then I added the rear bar. The brake dust is often more present on the rear wheels. Wish I got a little more freedom before the traction steps in, especially when the road isn’t level. But I still have fun.

Best compensation is done while turning left so body roll applies more pressure to the right rear giving near equal bite so nannie master doesn't step in for dose of killjoy!

And to your point; mine came mismatched too with some near bald Nitto's on the rear and it spun those up pretty easy. Likely why the RR brake pads were done well ahead of the left.
Old 12-03-18, 11:44 AM
2grfan
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I’m not sure what you mean. An open diff will always flow torque to the wheel with the least grip. Turning left or right wouldn’t matter.

My complaint about the T/C extends to the stability control too. This one corner I try to take spiritedly has about a 8-10 foot rise then flattens, but when I mash the throttle mid corner, even with grip, the stability control says nope. Sure I can turn it off, but the car has to be stopped for that and I don’t always remember to.
Old 12-03-18, 01:19 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

now I wish I had a 350 hehe. well said OP!
the GS isn't as playful and I can only imagine the athleticism of the smaller car.
Old 12-03-18, 03:40 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Yeah I love my 10' IS350.. i purchased the RR Racing tune this year and it feels like a completely different car now.. a lot more power in the lower rpm's with the tune and oh my does it make a difference. Hitting 100km/hr (60mph) in second gear never gets old..
Old 12-03-18, 07:58 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Could you do 2nd gear to 60 without the tune? I haven't check but I thought the speed gets pretty high even on 1st gear last time I checked.
Old 12-05-18, 05:11 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Yup, it's a 1.5 way and is the default setup that OS Giken offers for RWD.

I do remember years back when @Gville350 ended up buying a JDM OS Giken LSD which ended being a 2-way differential that was previously used by a Formula D team!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...pic-heavy.html

My complaint about the T/C extends to the stability control too. This one corner I try to take spiritedly has about a 8-10 foot rise then flattens, but when I mash the throttle mid corner, even with grip, the stability control says nope. Sure I can turn it off, but the car has to be stopped for that and I don’t always remember to.
If you want to keep VDIM on and reduce the degree of interference from the stability control system, you can look into getting an IS-F Steering ECU which will let you put the car in 'VDIM Sport' mode which is less intrusive.
The following users liked this post:
2013FSport (12-05-18)
Old 12-05-18, 10:26 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

I’m not sure what you mean. An open diff will always flow torque to the wheel with the least grip. Turning left or right wouldn’t matter.

Not true; chassis loading matters!
Engine torque twists the chassis planting the left, lifting the right rear. Pin an open diff rwd car on flat land and more often than not, the right side goes up in smoke.
If you take off turning left like pulling out to turn with throttle applied the body rolls to the right applying more pressure to the right while also lifting the left creating near equal loading of both tires and you get cheap thrills!

Try it some time!
And ya, exact opposite turning right. Here the right is UNloaded and totally spins up.
Old 12-06-18, 10:09 AM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

^ now that begs the question if all cars do this, assuming all driveshafts spin the same direction and thus load the same way.
I can see some instances where other makes do the opposite!
Old 12-06-18, 11:17 AM
cheezz
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nosurprise
Could you do 2nd gear to 60 without the tune? I haven't check but I thought the speed gets pretty high even on 1st gear last time I checked.
You can hit 60 mph in 2nd gear in stock form. It's at around 6500 rpm. That's where the IS350 shifts into 3rd at 60 mph.

Quick Reply: Balance of the RWD IS350