IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation off by 50+miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-18, 09:52 AM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Navigation off by 50+miles

Got new dash installed. just realized my navigation is off by about 50 miles, the navi still moves but its way off of my location. Any ideas on how to fix this don't feel like driving an hour back to the dealership. thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-14-18, 12:53 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 185 Posts

Antenna was probably not plugged back in. You can pull the navigation out and see if they left any harnesses not plugged in (or partially plugged in). Otherwise, take it back to the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
jcgeorge (09-16-20)
Old 12-14-18, 01:00 PM
socal3
Intermediate

OK will try that. Thanks
Old 12-14-18, 01:06 PM
socal3
Intermediate

Also debating on just pulling the negative off the battery and letting it all reset again.
Old 12-14-18, 01:11 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 875 Likes on 660 Posts

Go to the Set up menu and open Navigation. Find Calibrate, park the car near and
parallel to an easily defined location such as a major intersection. When you open
up the calibration the first step is location, move the screen around until you find the
intersection you're parked at. Nudge it around to show your location. Second step is
direction, tap the arrow(s) to "aim" the direction you are facing. Close up the menu and
drive around. If necessary fine tune with another location.
The following 3 users liked this post by mcomer:
awnold (08-22-20), colbygould (08-23-20), Jayapapaya (09-12-20)
Old 12-14-18, 01:52 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

I've read of this problem before and it was because the incorrect "region" was selected. Been a while, but within the settings somewhere, you tell the NAV that you're within the Southwest, Northwest, Southeast, Northeast, or the "midwest"...or something to that effect.
Old 12-14-18, 03:34 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
I've read of this problem before and it was because the incorrect "region" was selected. Been a while, but within the settings somewhere, you tell the NAV that you're within the Southwest, Northwest, Southeast, Northeast, or the "midwest"...or something to that effect.
Doubt it. The region setting is supposed to be for POI's, nothing else. I know I've had mine on the one encompassing Illinois for some reason instead of the one encompassing Louisiana. Makes no difference.

As for calibration, I vaguely recall that doing nothing, especially when you're 50 miles away (it's supposed to just read the car's yaw sensors/steering stuff?). Antenna is most likely the issue here. Would need to search the forum for the threads on that though.
Old 12-15-18, 07:08 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Nearly certain Zmon's first guess is correct, that the dealer did not plug the antenna back in after the dash replacement. I believe it is the gray colored connector.

mcomer's response of using the calibration function is a band-aid fix, as the car will still be calculating its position using dead reckoning (using speed and steering wheel angle sensors) instead of GPS, and will soon be off again.

Gville's suggestion of changing the region would be correct if the problem was that the OP couldn't find local addresses and points-of-interest in a destination search, but has nothing to do with showing the correct position on the map.

Look at the map screen after the car has been on for a few minutes and is not inside a garage or in a place where the GPS signal may be blocked by tall buildings. The car will display the word "GPS" under the map scale indicator in the upper left corner of the display as soon as it has a lock on the GPS satellites. It should look like this:

If it is in a garage or the antenna is unplugged, it will look like this:

The following 2 users liked this post by Bichon:
jcgeorge (09-12-20), mcomer (12-15-18)
Old 12-17-18, 09:54 AM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

^ interesting! never knew!
Old 08-22-20, 11:05 AM
awnold
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this worked for me, tx!

Originally Posted by mcomer
Go to the Set up menu and open Navigation. Find Calibrate, park the car near and
parallel to an easily defined location such as a major intersection. When you open
up the calibration the first step is location, move the screen around until you find the
intersection you're parked at. Nudge it around to show your location. Second step is
direction, tap the arrow(s) to "aim" the direction you are facing. Close up the menu and
drive around. If necessary fine tune with another location.
this worked for me tx!!
perfect instructions
Old 08-22-20, 12:19 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by awnold
this worked for me tx!!
perfect instructions
My car started doing this like a week ago. I have calibrated it just like those instructions. But everyday i have to recalibrate it. It’s not a permanent fix.
Old 08-22-20, 01:35 PM
Haddaway91
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidbusta
My car started doing this like a week ago. I have calibrated it just like those instructions. But everyday i have to recalibrate it. It’s not a permanent fix.
When you drive do you have the GPS logo in the top left corner?? If not it probably became loose behind unit. Did you recently have the airbag recall done?
Old 08-22-20, 01:36 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Haddaway91
When you drive do you have the GPS logo in the top left corner?? If not it probably became loose behind unit. Did you recently have the airbag recall done?
There’s no gps logo. And no that recall was done over a year ago. it became inaccurate while driving through a canyon. I’m assuming going through a curve pretty hard made the connection become loose.
Old 08-22-20, 01:40 PM
Haddaway91
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidbusta
There’s no gps logo. And no that recall was done over a year ago. it became inaccurate while driving through a canyon. I’m assuming going through a curve pretty hard made the connection become loose.
Had to have come loose. What year is the car
Old 08-22-20, 01:49 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Haddaway91
Had to have come loose. What year is the car
its a 2006. At first i thought i just lost signal since i was through the canyon and i didnt have cell service. but it was still inaccurate even after i left it. I just find it hard to believe that going through the curves at the pace that i was going caused the loose connection. I'm still on stock suspension so i couldn’t possibly be going that hard

Quick Reply: Navigation off by 50+miles