IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How Late is too Late

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-18, 01:55 PM
linkzx
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How Late is too Late

There have been many threads where users have had transmission issues where, many suggested that its too late to change the transmission fluid because it can cause the transmission to fail.

So how late is too late to change it if it hasn't been done before?
Old 12-22-18, 02:36 PM
EdgarLex
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

It's hard to say but it shouldn't be too risky to change the 3 quarts fluid. I'd say after 140k just ride it out. Do you have any transmission issues?
Old 12-22-18, 04:02 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,518 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Tales from the 70's, 80's and 90's are all true. Varnished fluids can lead to failures when fresh new high detergent fluids are pumped in. This can happen but honestly, 85% were doomed for mechanical reasons alone.

Fluids from dates after that do not varnish as they did then. That said you have everything to gain and nothing to loose except labor and fluid cost.

You want more done per change?
Pull the plug, let it drain.
Start it for 5 seconds.
Drop the pan.
Drop the filter.
If solenoids are suspect, pull them, apply 12V dc and backflush them. Verify they actuate. Verify they stop fluid flow and open for fluid flow When 12vdc is applied.
Install them, install pan and gasket.
Add no more than 4 qts and start it. Add the remaining fluid. Do the sanctioned fluid check to establish the correct level.

Report back.

Or report forward. What is the problem it has now?

Last edited by 2013FSport; 12-25-18 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-22-18, 04:31 PM
linkzx
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EdgarLex
It's hard to say but it shouldn't be too risky to change the 3 quarts fluid. I'd say after 140k just ride it out. Do you have any transmission issues?
No transmission problems here, I've just seen alot of people talking about trans problems and a quick google search turned up mixed answers so I wanted to see what others thought on the subject
Old 12-22-18, 04:50 PM
EdgarLex
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by linkzx
No transmission problems here, I've just seen alot of people talking about trans problems and a quick google search turned up mixed answers so I wanted to see what others thought on the subject
I had mine done at 60k and they only dropped a part of the fluid. It was pretty pricey at $150. I normally try to work on my own cars but as I get older I'm starting to hate it more and more. If you are in the LA area Longo Lexus did it for me. No problems when I got the car back. (Can't guarantee they will do a perfect job on your car though)

Really wish this had a dipstick and was just drain and fill.
Old 12-23-18, 09:41 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My is350 is almost 10 years old with 95k on the clock. Never changed the transmission before and i decided to change the fluid and the transmission filter. It shifts better now and its actually noticeable. I never had any shifting problems prior to the oil change though. I heard if you are having problems shifting gears its better to leave it
Old 12-25-18, 02:57 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

For an older vehicle that has never had the transmission fluid changed, just do a drain and fill. Flushing causes problems by loosening crud and tiny metal fragment collages that have collected in various corners and crevices which can then damage internal solenoides, switches, etc.
Old 01-01-19, 05:45 PM
kosorio79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X 2 . Just drain and refill. can't go wrong with that.
Old 01-01-19, 10:39 PM
qnt469
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It's never too late to do preventive maintenance.
My IS350 is at 170,000 miles and is currently having issue with the solenoids not functioning and being stuck in 3rd gear. I suspect that this is because I had not done any transmission maintenance since I owned it when it was at 50,000 miles. I was told that the transmission is "sealed" and "lifetime" maintenance free. This is apparently inaccurate according to many folks here and my own experience to add. I'm not sure if there's anyone who have driven their car past 200,000 miles without doing a single transmission fluid change or flush as preventive maintenance. But I for one learn my lesson the hard way by not educating myself properly...
Old 01-26-24, 01:28 PM
slodesign
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a Lexus Hs250h hybrid, and it never had transmission oil change and I just did it at 145k and it improved my .mpg. I also did a Chevron Techron treatment.

I'm hoping this thread answers the agonizing question, "When is it too late to change my transmission oil". This is only MY EXPERIENCE and I'm neither a mechanic or engineer.

I did significance research and my current mechanic said: change your transmission oil. Granted my was a hybrid and so the high mileage without the transmission oil change may yield different results for everyone. My car has been fine after the oil change. Ironically, previous Lexus owners was never advised to do a transmission oil change from new to 140k. I'll give Lexus some credit: the oil was still purple/red and not black which was impressive. I do not buy into the 'lifetime fluid' idea, and while I have great respect for Lexus and their engineers, it's more like 100k at best is my guess. No doubt the transmission synthetic oil is incredible.

I don't know if there's a true 'it's too late to change' for regular engines. I know the respected YOUTUBER CAR CARE NUT said his shop will not change your transmission oil if if it's 100k and not maintenance records.

The Lexus has been maintained religiously by the previous owners.

My mechanic advised every 60,000 miles. My aim is to keep this car for another 100k and will be changing my fluids religiously.