IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2011 IS250 Common Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-18, 04:08 AM
FSport504
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 IS250 Common Problems

I'm looking into buying a 2011 IS 250 from a Lexus dealer. Has 80k miles on it, but not much service history showing on the Carfax. It's very clean inside and out, however I would like to know of any/all common problems with this body style and engine combo. I know about the carbon build up issue, but was hoping to find everything else out. Should be going to see it Friday as they had to do their inspection and service on it. Thanks!
Old 12-27-18, 11:59 AM
TopNotchIN
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Do you have an account with Lexus on their website? If not, search for "Lexus Drivers: Lexus Owners Site" on any search engine and go through the registration steps. Once you create an account, you can add the vehicle's VIN number. After all of that, you can look at the service history which will show any service that was done at a Lexus dealership. It's not a complete history, but it may help fill in any info you don't already have. The specific vehicle you are looking at is newer and has the revised piston rings. That will help with the carbon buildup issue, but does not eliminate it completely. There was a "warranty enhancement" for poor quality door panels and dashboards on earlier Lexus vehicles. The 2011 you are looking at should not have that problem. The rear brake calipers are known to have corrosion issues that cause it to seize up. Over time dirt and corrosion cause the pin to stick. This issue is fixed by replacing the entire assembly because removing the pin and cleaning the corrosion only lasts for so long before problems happen again. Rattles and squeaking from the dashboard area are common. This can vary from vehicle to vehicle and the weather. The solution is adding felt tape to the edges between the dashboard and windshield. There are other areas of the dash that cause squeaking, but can be difficult to find. Check the climate controls. When the cabin air filter gets replaced the recirculation button needs to be set from "fresh air" to "recirculate." If that isn't done the bracket that switches the air modes can be damaged. Listen and feel for the change when switching in between airflow modes. I can't think of any other common problems that you should be worried about. Any car that becomes older and gets more mileage on it will be more likely to need maintenance. You can get a pre-purchase inspection done by any local mechanic. Ask if you can have the vehicle inspected by a trusted mechanic and schedule an appointment with them. Don't just go by what the dealership says about the condition of the vehicle. Salesmen will say whatever they need to so they can make a sale. I've had problems with an "Elite" Lexus dealership before and I've also had excellent customer service from lower-end dealers. Have your mechanic look to for poor body repairs and previous damage. I've seen cars sold as CPO with warranty that have had previous accident damage and paint repair. If you look at ALL the fine print on sales agreements there are loopholes that can be buried within. Please don't let my words discourage your car search. I'm just here to help you from ending up in a regretful situation. Good luck!
Old 12-27-18, 02:00 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

We did some research as well before purchasing our '08 IS250 a few months ago. Lexusdrivers.com should give you more info. Problem issues are of course the carbon buildup issue and sometimes the navigation screen can stop responding to touch (there is a video on YouTube on how to fix it). Other than that not much, it's a Lexus so it will be pretty reliable. This doesn't mean it won't be without problems - the fuel pump went out a couple days after we purchased ours. However we purchased it with 152k on the odometer so we didn't expect it to be perfect. Took $100 and about 30 min of sweat equity to fix.
Old 12-28-18, 06:39 AM
FSport504
Driver School Candidate

Definitely will check on that website. As far as the inspection, I'm going to call the mechanic our body shop deals with to see if he can schedule it in. I'm going to test drive it today because it was going in for its inspection when I went to look at it initially Monday. As far as poor repairs, I manage a body shop so I know what to look for. This one doesn't appear to have any prior repairs. They're asking $14.5k. Car has 81k miles. Not much in terms of service according to the Carfax though. What do you think would be a fair asking price assuming everything checks out? Will be trading in my 2011 Tacoma TX TRD w/ JBL.
Old 12-28-18, 11:22 AM
TopNotchIN
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Create an account on the Lexus Drivers website and add the VIN to view any service history at a Lexus dealer. There's not much else you can do to get a better idea of what service the car has had. I'm not an expert on fair prices, but here's my advice. Go to the Kelly Blue Book website and check the TRADE-IN value for that vehicle. Select "My Car Value" on the main page. Don't go by the default options, but select which specific options the car has. The closer you get to the trade-in value, the better the deal is. For example, my friend purchased a 2011 GS350 AWD in March of this year. The car was listed around $14,000 and was purchased for $10,990. The vehicle has been a daily driver and even with the added mileage he can still trade the car in for the same price he originally paid. I'd say that he got a good deal! You can search websites like CarGurus, AutoTrader and Cars.com to get an idea of what similar cars go for. Do an entire country-wide search for IS250s to get the best idea of price ranges. Be attentive to the year and mileage of the similar cars.
Old 12-29-18, 09:01 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by TopNotchIN
You can search websites like CarGurus, AutoTrader and Cars.com to get an idea of what similar cars go for.
Bear in mind, these are asking prices and not necessarily what the cars will sell for.
Old 12-29-18, 10:06 AM
FSport504
Driver School Candidate

Ok, good news. The car has been to a Lexus dealer its whole life for service every 5k miles. I test drove it yesterday and everything feels in tip top shape. Needed an alignment adjustment as the steering wheel is slightly off center, and a re-balancing of the front tires. Has brand new rear tires as well. Dealer said they will take care of those issues as well as refinish all 4 wheels at no extra charge. Talked them down another 1k off their internet asking price, and that according to KBB is a very good purchase price. Currently getting the value on my truck.
Old 12-29-18, 10:33 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, that is a good news. With only 80k and dealer serviced there's a lot of life left in that vehicle. Ours has almost twice that mileage and still drives great. Post some pics when you have it.
Old 12-31-18, 05:19 PM
FSport504
Driver School Candidate

Got the car Saturday, but due to it constantly raining on and off since then and for the rest of the week, I haven't been able to get good pics of the car. It's getting detailed at the dealer Friday before the wheels are repaired. Will post up some pics when I pick it up. Love it so far, just have to get used to driving a lower car lol
Old 12-31-18, 06:12 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

i have an '09 with 79,000 miles makes me feel like i have really low miles considering your '11 has 80k Lol Enjoy the car congrats!
Old 01-13-19, 02:28 PM
FSport504
Driver School Candidate

Here's some pics of the car. Dealer didnt do too good of a job with the detail, so I had to do it myself lol.
Old 01-13-19, 02:38 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Wow that's in great shape. Congrats!
Old 01-13-19, 06:53 PM
FSport504
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! Loving it so far. Just have to get used to driving a car and not a truck lol. Hitting driveways sideways and going slower on bumpy roads mainly
Old 01-14-19, 01:43 AM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FSport504
Thanks! Loving it so far. Just have to get used to driving a car and not a truck lol. Hitting driveways sideways and going slower on bumpy roads mainly
Congrats. I also picked up a 07 IS250 one owner all maintenance records with 75k miles on Wednesday. Unfortunately I love spending money and I've thrown so much cash at it already (not the cars fault) Tinted the windows $150( bubbling on a few so have to get them redone &#128556 added a spoiler ($70) vland tailights ($300) Tire pressure sensors went out right as I drove home($200 light came back on a few hours after the tire shop did it(have to go back and have them fix what they did wrong &#128556 and my sound system. Pushing a $500 memphis PRX1500.1 2 alpine type Rs at 750watts each($500 for 2) LC2i($70) 0awg wiring($250) and a ground shaker box ($140) I had the subs and amp already decided to be impatient and find a guy on Craigslist that ended up making the system sound like there is no system ($120) and blew my subs the next day thank God the shop I bought them honored the warranty but I have to pay alpine $60 a sub to replace. And now I have to pay them labor to backtrack and find what he did wrong most likely another $200. Got the little LED logo projectors for $15 and got a real carbon fiber shifter for $50. Loving the car. I also came from a truck (lincoln Navigator) and this little car is def gonna take a little to get used to. But it's so nimble and handles so we'll. I'm glad to come back to Lexus . The Navigator as much as I loved it was constantly giving me headaches with issues mechanics couldn't figure out. After I fix this sound system I'm not planning on doing anything else to the car. I gotta take some good pics and post them up.
Old 01-14-19, 03:07 AM
FSport504
Driver School Candidate

I too have the itch to buy stuff for it lol. Trying to contain myself though. I plan on doing tint, headlights and tail lights, very mild fatback exhaust, and maybe the wheels down the line. Changing out headlight bulbs and fog assemblies soon. Had retrofitted headlights in my tacoma and the output was better than any brand new luxury car. On a 8 lane divided highway, I used to light up all 4 lanes on my side, both shoulders, and all 4 lanes on the opposite side and both shoulders, plus into the treeline. And about as far as 10-15 car lengths. Not going to lower it or anything like that. These streets are absolute garbage and I have two steep driveways to go in and out of, and I dont feel like destroying the underside of the car lol.

Quick Reply: 2011 IS250 Common Problems