Lexus is250 rattling sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-18, 07:13 AM
Royis250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus is250 rattling sound

Hi,

Im having a rattling sound with my lexus is250 year 2006 when im turning and reversing and even sometimes when im driving straight.

My guess is that the exhaust pipe is vibrating. Does anybody have an idea?

See link for sound bellow:

link 2:

https://youtu.be/rX4Fx0g2Jg8

Thx in advance
Old 12-29-18, 03:28 PM
TopNotchIN
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

It's difficult to tell what the issue is from just a short video. It may be the exhaust so follow your theory and examine the piping. There is a crossbar under the exhaust pipe, near the back of the car. It's right before the Y-pipe splits to the mufflers and doesn't leave much clearance between it and the piping. Have you checked the heatshields for the exhaust yet? My shields above both mufflers broke away from their mounting bolts and were left lying on top of the mufflers. The shields are aluminum, but they still can rust away from where they bolt onto the car. You can also take a look at the shielding around downpipes coming from the manifolds. Those collect water from rain/snow overtime and can rust. That's also a common reason for the CEL and running rich/lean codes. One last thing to check is the spare tire mount and tire jack. Those can rattle around in the trunk area.
Old 04-14-21, 03:51 PM
Dsguynes
Driver School Candidate

Default Rattle sound

Originally Posted by TopNotchIN
It's difficult to tell what the issue is from just a short video. It may be the exhaust so follow your theory and examine the piping. There is a crossbar under the exhaust pipe, near the back of the car. It's right before the Y-pipe splits to the mufflers and doesn't leave much clearance between it and the piping. Have you checked the heatshields for the exhaust yet? My shields above both mufflers broke away from their mounting bolts and were left lying on top of the mufflers. The shields are aluminum, but they still can rust away from where they bolt onto the car. You can also take a look at the shielding around downpipes coming from the manifolds. Those collect water from rain/snow overtime and can rust. That's also a common reason for the CEL and running rich/lean codes. One last thing to check is the spare tire mount and tire jack. Those can rattle around in the trunk area.
So, I have that same exact rattle sound its the exhaust pile slapping against the cross pipe
mine does the exact same thing
I have not fixed it yet. Have you figured out how to secure the exhaust pipe so it doesn’t move at all?
Old 04-16-21, 06:18 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Pinpoint from where the noise is coming from first; that'll help narrow down what is could be. I often recommend grabbing a friend and finding an empty parking lot and have someone outside listening as you drive around.

It didn't really sound like an exhaust rattle though; more like a suspension issue/noise when going over bumps/holes in the road. Check all of your suspension fasteners for tightness.
Old 04-16-21, 06:42 PM
Jeeves250
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I second Gville's idea; this sounds like suspension; likely a ball joint or a bushing.

If you can't find a friend to help you, maybe jack the car up (on jack stands - never EVER work on a car supported by only a hydraulic floor jack) and wiggle the wheels around to feel for loose parts.

If you wanna see what sort of wiggling you should be doing, have a look at the way the Car Wizard inspects the suspension here (12:00-ish minutes in):

Last edited by Jeeves250; 04-16-21 at 06:46 PM. Reason: added bit about video.
Old 11-05-22, 02:53 PM
alejandr0
1st Gear

Hi I have this same issue, i was wondering if securing the exhaust pipe helped get rid of the noise.

Originally Posted by Dsguynes
So, I have that same exact rattle sound its the exhaust pile slapping against the cross pipe
mine does the exact same thing
I have not fixed it yet. Have you figured out how to secure the exhaust pipe so it doesn’t move at all?