IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Teach me how to fish....

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-18 | 09:18 PM
bryceis250
Intermediate

Default Teach me how to fish....

instead og giving me the answers or direction, it dawned on me just now im not asking rhe rifh question. qhat I qant to know is how you address the problem. Say for instance, the idle pulley backs itself out causing the belt to rip to pieces ,grabbing a long green wire that plugs into the top of the power steering box (or whateer its called) and ripping it out. What is this little single green wire running along underneath the pulley?

fo rme, this begins an all night session of chasing down google searches and forums trying to find out what this thing is called and what it does. i also run threw the online catalog of a couple lexus parts websites, and dealership sites which cater to ecommerce at a small discount from others. i haven't found one yet which i can navigate with ease. all said and done i can waste hours. doing this. usually Youtube saves the day in most cases.

so say this happens to you. something broke, and you need to find out what its called and what it does. take me threw your problem solving process; where do you go first? do you have a website with diagrams you prefer while researching, e.g. i use lexussouthatlantaparts.com because its the best pictures i can find, but i CANNOT navigate it, i cant figure it out. i don't understand. maybe someone could take a look and tell me if im a retard or not.

P.S. this problem also has something to do with another problem. does the idle pulley have one or two washers? i cant find the answer. ive seen yes, ive seen no. but its backed out again. this time, thread lock and torque wrench hope for the best. its got one on it. the tensioner has 2 washers,

P.S.S> there is also a website you can purchase access to on ebay which has decent how -to and tech info. but its 6 dollars a month .
Old 12-30-18 | 11:04 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Green wire - what works, what doesn't work?
With a meter does either side have power or go to ground?
Can you trace it to a fuse?

The hood latch sensor comes to mind and you might check the A/C compressor....

As for data - here you go.
Alldatadiy.com
Promo YEAREND18, $13 a year per car.

Or look up Toyota TIS website. It will have everything you need. Cost is a bit more but not much.
The following users liked this post:
bryceis250 (12-30-18)
Old 12-30-18 | 09:38 PM
bryceis250
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Green wire - what works, what doesn't work?
With a meter does either side have power or go to ground?
Can you trace it to a fuse?

The hood latch sensor comes to mind and you might check the A/C compressor....

As for data - here you go.
Alldatadiy.com
Promo YEAREND18, $13 a year per car.

Or look up Toyota TIS website. It will have everything you need. Cost is a bit more but not much.
i spent hours last night trying to find the oil filter housing, but i didnt know at the time thats what it was. so very odd where they have the filter set up, never seen one like it. so its some type of oil pressure temp sensor, but idk know what its for or what it effects. everything seems to be fine. in fact since disconnecting the battery the car has never run as good as it did tonight. it was so light and fast, where it usually feel restricted and bogged down. strange.
thank you for the website !1
Old 12-31-18 | 05:44 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

You traced the wire back to the low oil pressure sensor?

This:

bryceis250 (01-02-19)
Old 01-02-19 | 12:13 PM
bryceis250
Intermediate

yes thats it. the wire actually goes into a wiring harness so i cant see where ti goes from there. i have it spliced together temporarily until i solder it.
Old 01-02-19 | 03:24 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bryceis250
yes thats it. the wire actually goes into a wiring harness so i cant see where ti goes from there. i have it spliced together temporarily until i solder it.
FWIW: It will be a better repair if you cut, strip, and use a bare uninsulated crimp connector.
Before assembly, slide some adhesive lined shrink tubing on the wire.
Crimp the the butt connector on one side.
Slide shrink tubing on wire.
Crimp wire and pull test using moderate force. It should not pull apart.
Slide heat shrink over crimp and heat to wrap and seal repair.
Done!

Did this broken wire not trigger the low oil pressure light?
bryceis250 (01-07-19)
Old 01-07-19 | 09:27 PM
bryceis250
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
FWIW: It will be a better repair if you cut, strip, and use a bare uninsulated crimp connector.
Before assembly, slide some adhesive lined shrink tubing on the wire.
Crimp the the butt connector on one side.
Slide shrink tubing on wire.
Crimp wire and pull test using moderate force. It should not pull apart.
Slide heat shrink over crimp and heat to wrap and seal repair.
Done!

Did this broken wire not trigger the low oil pressure light?
no, and i saw no performance issue or lights come on or of either. wondering if it is even working. ill put this on the to do list lol. thank you so much for you r time man, appreciate it. cant believe out of thousands of member nobody has even the smallest of input to my question. o well.
Old 01-08-19 | 06:47 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bryceis250
no, and i saw no performance issue or lights come on or of either. wondering if it is even working. ill put this on the to do list lol. thank you so much for you r time man, appreciate it. cant believe out of thousands of member nobody has even the smallest of input to my question. o well.

Ya, tough crowd with few ungrateful takers so you are the exception. One who actually says thanks and clicks the button. I have no problem sharing what I've learned to help someone who appreciates it.

As for the pressure sensor. One has to wonder.... It's either open or closed conducting to ground if it has just a single wire. Mine never stays on even after dumping the oil and filter. I mean after OCI ever car I've ever owned has the light on for a half second after the car starts.

In your car with the wire hanging in the breeze and no low oil pressure light on, it implies the switch is Normally open when oil pressure is >10psi or whatever the ## is.
When making the repair grab a 12v test light and connect it to your repaired wire while NOT connected to the sensor. Touch the other end to ground and start the vehicle. Does the light stay on?
Also ohm the sensor terminal to ground while engine is off. It should show low ohms or a direct short.

** Only if safe to do so ** ohm the sensor to ground with the engine on. Should show infinite resistance.
bryceis250 (01-09-19)