IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

A great way to greet the new year!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-18, 07:27 AM
Caramelel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation A great way to greet the new year!!

Well I was driving down to New York city when this happened,
Rear drivers side

Front drivers side

I took a really deep pothole and destroyed my 19" Niche rims! I've never been in this situation so I have no idea what to do. Should I file a claim against the city? Bring my rims to a repair shop if possible? or just buy new rims? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-30-18, 09:54 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

Your best bet is probably source the wheel online for a replacement. I'd doubt that is repairable, and be structural sane afterward.
Old 12-30-18, 10:59 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 244 Posts

As for filing a claim against the city to cover your damage, Google is your friend: https://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/s...ainst-the-city Years ago, they only covered it if the city had received prior notice of the fault and failed to fix it in a reasonable amount of time, or if the road hazard was caused by their negligence. I don't know if that is still the situation. If you aren't successful recovering your loss from the city and you have collision coverage on your vehicle, you could probably make a claim there - although given the deductible and the possibility of them raising your rates, it might not be worth it.
Old 12-30-18, 11:32 AM
Mikeym718
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
As for filing a claim against the city to cover your damage, Google is your friend: https://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/s...ainst-the-city Years ago, they only covered it if the city had received prior notice of the fault and failed to fix it in a reasonable amount of time, or if the road hazard was caused by their negligence. I don't know if that is still the situation. If you aren't successful recovering your loss from the city and you have collision coverage on your vehicle, you could probably make a claim there - although given the deductible and the possibility of them raising your rates, it might not be worth it.
I heard the same thing from a friend of mine and that was recently. I live in NY as well and some of these potholes are like craters. I hit one yesterday coming home from work that made me feel like I lost my entire wheel. I was on the phone and they thought I got into a car accident.
Old 12-30-18, 02:47 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

no aftermarket wheel can beat the strength of OEM. no offense but that's the price you pay with cast wheels from China
Old 12-31-18, 04:38 PM
Caramelel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike_1GO
no aftermarket wheel can beat the strength of OEM. no offense but that's the price you pay with cast wheels from China
well yeah true but last time I checked niche wheels are made in the U.S.
Old 12-31-18, 04:40 PM
Caramelel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bichon
thanks, I talked to the guy that towed her and he’s part of the car culture, he said it’s happened to him before and told me that my best bet was to file a claim against the city. I filed a claim to my insurance too just to get her back on the road ASAP
Old 01-01-19, 02:45 PM
Caramelel
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE:

So I was driving down the garden state prkwy when my car started vibrating violently, and started making a clunking sound coming from the front drivers side. I stopped at the first gas station and turns out the impact from the pothole was so strong that it broke my axle. At this point I just hope there's no structural damage.