IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Steering Rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-19, 07:37 AM
1st250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Rack

Is it possible to rebuild the steering rack? I called the nearest dealership, and they have the part for 2300ish. My car has the X package not sure if that has anything to due with the high cost of the steering rack. a very quick and in no way comprehensive google search returned rebuild kits for steering racks but none called out lexus.

Thank you all for the help
Old 01-08-19, 09:41 AM
jusclark13
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a place local that replaces it and charges a core fee. You could contact them. They are called Indianapolis rack and axle. I replaced mine for $600 and I haven’t had an issue.
Old 01-08-19, 10:24 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

I wouldn't go to the dealer for your rack it's best to try a local indy. They can probably source a refurbished one for around $400-500 and you would just pay for the install. The dealer only does new and it's very expensive.
Old 01-08-19, 10:30 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,268 Posts

Likely depends what is wrong with it. It is an electric rack so aside from pinion and rack wear we now have DC drive motors and input sensors.

I would think bushings for rack would be available as well as bearings and thrust washers for the input and boots and all that stuff. The electronics??? Good question.

As mentioned above, unless you are set up for this, likely best to buy a reman with a warranty.
Old 01-08-19, 10:43 AM
1st250
Driver School Candidate

I'll list the symptoms just incase it isn't the steering rack, but talking with the dealer and a bit of google searching pointed me in that direction.
When going in a straight line (i.e on a highway) the steering feels frozen and takes a bit of force to even to make slight corrections
When hard braking it pulls hard to the right
Old 01-08-19, 11:11 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1st250
I'll list the symptoms just incase it isn't the steering rack, but talking with the dealer and a bit of google searching pointed me in that direction.
When going in a straight line (i.e on a highway) the steering feels frozen and takes a bit of force to even to make slight corrections
When hard braking it pulls hard to the right
This is more applicable to hydraulic assist racks than electromechanical ones but get the nose in the air so both tires are free hanging. Start car and using just your pinky finger steer it full left and full right taking note about differences in effort from left to right. There shouldn't be any difference.

Also when you first turn the ignition on, does the wheel twitch or move at all? It should not.

Now with the key off turn and feel for stiffness and crunching. It should have none. If possible remove the left boot and steer the wheel Full Left and inspect the racks shaft for rust and water intrusion. It should be clean and dry along the groves of the rack hopefully with grease still present.

As for pull, that could be the rack but unlikely. More likely is tire pressure, suspension, or a rear or front brake issue.
Old 01-08-19, 01:11 PM
1st250
Driver School Candidate

I will try the steps you have listed this weekend. The pull shouldn't be the tires i religiously check the pressures on saturdays and usually they are right on. I want to say that the steering wheel does wiggle when i turn the car on, I always thought it was part of the cars system check so never really paid attention to it.
Old 01-09-19, 06:40 AM
jusclark13
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bought a reman one and had it installed by a Toyota dealer. $550 for part $120 for install. Going strong. Highly recommend. Pics are damage from hitting something in the road.
Old 01-09-19, 06:45 AM
1st250
Driver School Candidate

The steering wheel does not appear to wiggle or shake when i start it (tried with the car up to operating temp and after letting it set overnight) as stated i will check the rest saturday and post the results
Old 01-27-19, 08:22 PM
Chinorx3
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 07 IS250 steering P/S issue

Ok well I got my Lexus and decided to change valve covers , spark plugs , and o2 sensors . Well I’ve done this before on my sons car . I did all but the o2 sensors on his car . Well I had to remove PCM steering wheel module under batter to remove o2 bank 1 . I never had a issue with p/s once I got all put back together the p/s popped up . My buddy tried to calibrate he used to work at Toyota and has program on his lap top . I bought used computer for steering tried to calibrate no luck the p/s still on dash . I just bought a used steering rack from yunk yard and hoping this could solve issue . If i don’t have luck what else can it be ? Anyone had this issue before ? I checked all plugs and I changed hArness too . Anything I’m missing ?

Wifey car
Old 01-27-19, 09:00 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Check your connections.
Old 01-28-19, 07:05 AM
Chinorx3
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Check your connections.
i did a complete check , this is on going now for 2 weeks .
Old 07-06-19, 10:52 AM
mangosare
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chinorx3

Ok well I got my Lexus and decided to change valve covers , spark plugs , and o2 sensors . Well I’ve done this before on my sons car . I did all but the o2 sensors on his car . Well I had to remove PCM steering wheel module under batter to remove o2 bank 1 . I never had a issue with p/s once I got all put back together the p/s popped up . My buddy tried to calibrate he used to work at Toyota and has program on his lap top . I bought used computer for steering tried to calibrate no luck the p/s still on dash . I just bought a used steering rack from yunk yard and hoping this could solve issue . If i don’t have luck what else can it be ? Anyone had this issue before ? I checked all plugs and I changed hArness too . Anything I’m missing ?

Wifey car
Literally did the same thing and my power steering went out as well. Took it into Lexus and was told the communication from the PCU failed and needed to change my rack and ECU for a grand total of $4300. Have you found a fix in yours?
Old 07-07-19, 09:21 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had similar issues but more in depth. My P/S, ABS, VSC and Climate control is out. I have it at my buddy's house and he's been checking every wire in the ecu's. He fixed the climate control issue which, was a problem at the moon roof cause it links together. There's so much bs that lexus ties this wire and those wires in conjunction and or together. Oh, and my shift lock is INOP. He is also a master tech for the dealerships in the Bay Area and is working on my car on his free time which is only an hour here and there. I'm hoping its NOT the P/S rack but will report back when he gives me the final answer. I'll periodically check back to see if the OP and others find a solution. GL !
Old 07-08-19, 03:02 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Has anyone cleaned the pins and sockets of the connectors with dielectric cleaner? In the case of post #10, was there any chance static discharge occured to PS ECU or free cables?

You have to have the battery out to disconnect the PS ECU so if this was mine I would do some testing that included pin fitment into the female sockets and verify the sockets conduct. It seems pretty odd that simply unplugging the PS killed the whole thing unless wires were pulled on or damaged.

Unplug everything taken apart and look at the conductors for: pulled/pushed pins, burns, growth, discoloration, strained wires that may have a white hue on their jacket.

Seriously pull up the schematic and look at what does what. There must be something not making connection.

www.alldatadiy.com is like $15 a year subscription. Please make an account and do some reading and follow the schematics.

GL

Quick Reply: Steering Rack