IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Heater blower not working as it did yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-19, 08:20 AM
JeeKay
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heater blower not working as it did yesterday

As you probably know, when the heater fan is on Hi its really loud and moves a lot of air. I usually keep the vents set to windshield and feet but some always comes out of the vents above the climate control panel.
Today I noticed nothing came out of the upper vents, so I went from Low to Hi and noticed it's way quieter than it should be. I then selected just the upper vents and it barely moved any air.

As my windshield began to fog I hit the front defrost button and it was so much quieter than it should be, usually that mode is loud AF.

After getting to work I popped out the cabin filter, it had some tree debris which is normal for where I have to park at home, but nothing that should clog it, I cleaned it out and put it back in and turned the blower to Hi.
There was a lot of suction at the filter, I tried to lift the filter out as the blower was sucking away and basically couldn't do it so I turned the blower off, lifted the filter up an inch or so and turned it back on, it had a lot of suction there but as I've never ran the blower with the filter exposed I don't know if that's normal or not but it still didn't sound as loud as it should.

I'm not sure if something is clogged but I don't see what could be clogged as it's sucking right from the filter which is infront of me open to the interior.

I've had a blower motor go on my CRX but it was a completely different story, I've also had the resistor go on my old CRX and that again was a completely different story.

Hoping someone has more experience with this chassis that can help me out here.
Old 01-23-19, 10:59 AM
JeeKay
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a new cabin air filter and replaced it, after putting it in and holding my hand on top of it with the heat cranked I could feel a lot of air moving past my hand which I didn't with the old filter, the loud sound of the blower was back as well.

So, although the filter wasn't very clogged, it turned out the bottom side was quite wet.