IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2007 IS350 Code P0017, Crank/Cam Position Correlation

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-19, 06:16 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh2002cc
My scanner does not specify pending or incomplete. It is almost like they are stored codes because I cannot delete them. I delete them and then they come back right away almost like they were not actually deleted. Also, none of the "readiness" codes throw a check engine light & VSC light. The check engine light and VSC only illuminates when the P0017 shows up.

Can spark plugs cause the engine to miss and/or tick/knock?
Can a coil cause the engine to miss and/or tick/knock?

I adjusted my thinking some to wonder about a possible ignition issue such as spark plugs and coils. If one was bad would it cause the engine to miss causing the P0017 as the miss causes the cam and crank sensors to see the fluctuations.
I don't know what settings your scanner has it can detect missfire counts for each cylinder. Actually I had just pulled in my driveway when I saw your post again. I scanned my car for diagnostic mode. It has for miss fires, vvt, 02... I pulled up each mode depending on sensor. Check your scanner setting for diagnostic mode. I had no misfiring detected on each cylinder.

I'm sure it will have counts of miss fires if you have any. Well the key is figuring why the cam sensors. That's what is causing all other codes. Probably because it's retarding, or advaninad timing would be my guess.
Old 01-24-19, 06:18 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,274 Posts

As I know it the the cam position data is not available to cheaper scanners like torque and such. I know many have tried to decode the PID and enter the formula to no success. That said I like how you think as I'd like that data too!

As stated, sensors are a hall effect of sorts and sense the magnetic field of a trigger wheel (points of cam position) to determine the location and velocity. These are powered and have a ground so the 3rd wire sends a signal to the ECU for processing.

Granted equal values gives us a warm fuzzy it may not tell the whole story.
Did you measure the resistance of all of the sensors?

I went into alldatadiy.com and it says to turn the camshaft by hand and expect a high voltage of 3.75v to 4.50v and a low of 0.50v to 1.25v.
That said your running values seem reasonable.

FWIW I posted in the 2IS main forum a link to alldatadiy last month with a 12mo subscription fee of just $13 with promo code. Even if the promo code expired, you might buy it has all the data about torque specs, troubleshooting, output specs, and wiring schematics, recall data, and TSB from Lexus.

Completely worth $13 even if I only use it once! That and adding extra vehicles is cheap.

Oh ya, hope they meant the crank vs cam! lol
Old 01-24-19, 06:30 PM
Josh2002cc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
As I know it the the cam position data is not available to cheaper scanners like torque and such. I know many have tried to decode the PID and enter the formula to no success. That said I like how you think as I'd like that data too!

As stated, sensors are a hall effect of sorts and sense the magnetic field of a trigger wheel (points of cam position) to determine the location and velocity. These are powered and have a ground so the 3rd wire sends a signal to the ECU for processing.

Granted equal values gives us a warm fuzzy it may not tell the whole story.
Did you measure the resistance of all of the sensors?

I went into alldatadiy.com and it says to turn the camshaft by hand and expect a high voltage of 3.75v to 4.50v and a low of 0.50v to 1.25v.
That said your running values seem reasonable.

FWIW I posted in the 2IS main forum a link to alldatadiy last month with a 12mo subscription fee of just $13 with promo code. Even if the promo code expired, you might buy it has all the data about torque specs, troubleshooting, output specs, and wiring schematics, recall data, and TSB from Lexus.

Completely worth $13 even if I only use it once! That and adding extra vehicles is cheap.

Oh ya, hope they meant the crank vs cam! lol
To ohm each sensor, would I use the ground pin and the reference (5 volt constant) pin or the varying signal pin?
Old 01-24-19, 06:38 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Also, you might just ohm and maybe pull the bank 1 VVT solenoids and test them for ohms, function and actual motion control. The only draw back here is risk of cutting the O-ring and a future oil seep.
Ohm = 6.9 - 7.9

Power check for swift motion:
Pin1 = +12vdc
Left side with lock pointed down

Pin2 = Ground
Right side

You are expecting a swift snap to full location. A sluggish solenoid may improve with a solvent bath.

Here is the post I was talking about.

All, there is a promo code to get a 12mo subscription to alldatadiy.com for $13 year. This is info from the manufacturers about how to diagnose, troubleshoot, maintain and repair your vehicle. It has schematics too.
Act soon.
Enter promo code YEAREND18
Old 01-24-19, 06:56 PM
Josh2002cc
Driver School Candidate

Also, you might just ohm and maybe pull the bank 1 VVT solenoids and test them for ohms, function and actual motion control. The only draw back here is risk of cutting the O-ring and a future oil seep.
Ohm = 6.9 - 7.9

Power check for swift motion:
Pin1 = +12vdc
Left side with lock pointed down

Pin2 = Ground
Right side

You are expecting a swift snap to full location. A sluggish solenoid may improve with a solvent bath.

Here is the post I was talking about.
I ohm'd all 4 of the VVT solenoids and applied 12 volts yesterday. All ohm readings were at 8.0 but the engine was warm. I read that the 6.9 to 7.9 ohm rating is at 68 degrees F. I would say my reading of 8.0 ohms is acceptable. Would you agree? As for movement, all solenoids were quick to snap and I cleaned them with brake cleaner before reinstalling. I would think they are good to go after my findings.

Is there a way to ohm the actual cam position sensors? If so, since they are 3 wire, which pins would I use to ohm them out? Ground and the constant 5 volt pin or the signal pin that voltage fluctuates?

On Edit: I just bought a subscription to alldata. Thank you for the heads up on the coupon.

Last edited by Josh2002cc; 01-24-19 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-24-19, 07:03 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

To ohm each sensor, would I use the ground pin and the reference (5 volt constant) pin or the varying signal pin?
OK - to my surprise there is NO OHM test listed in Alldatadiy just a low speed voltage test. I would think that if you compare the 4 sensors using the same points and get the same data, you have lost nothing but the manual does not ask for this test so maybe it is not valid! If for example there is an amplifier or any diode in these pickups, they may not be testable with an ohm meter.

That said, move the sensor to the other bank and see if the error follows the sensor!
Old 01-24-19, 08:22 PM
Josh2002cc
Driver School Candidate

OK - to my surprise there is NO OHM test listed in Alldatadiy just a low speed voltage test. I would think that if you compare the 4 sensors using the same points and get the same data, you have lost nothing but the manual does not ask for this test so maybe it is not valid! If for example there is an amplifier or any diode in these pickups, they may not be testable with an ohm meter.

That said, move the sensor to the other bank and see if the error follows the sensor!
Okay, so I moved the 2 cam sensors on the passenger side (bank 1) to the drivers side (bank 2) and bank 2 to bank 1. 3 of the 4 sensors are identical and 1 of them has a 90 degree connection for the wire harness. Anyways, swapped the sensors around and took the car for a drive. I drove the car then stopped and turned it off, then drove some more and turned it off again. I did this maybe 5 or 6 times in an effort to throw the code. Vehicle is no longer throwing a P0017 code nor is it throwing any codes. At best, I hoped the code would swap from bank 1 to bank 2 but nothing, no codes no nothing.

Like before, car runs great and there is still a slight ticking noise coming from the passenger side. I will have the girlfriend drive the car tomorrow and see if the light comes back on.

I do not suspect that my issue is gone. It would be great if the code switched from bank 1 to bank 2 so I would know it was the sensor but I feel like I am not going to be that lucky.

I will update tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-24-19, 08:32 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

I found these threads earlier.

Start: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post9239937

Update: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...codes-now.html

Old 01-25-19, 08:28 AM
Josh2002cc
Driver School Candidate

Girlfriend let me know this morning after her 30 minute commute to work that no check engine lights came on and the car is running great. She says the vehicle has that acceleration or "snap" that it used to have when she started driving it last year. I guess since I don't drive it everyday I didn't notice a lack of performance.

This puzzles me. All I did was switch sensor locations and no check engine lights and engine performance improved. Why, if it was a bad cam sensor would the performance issues and check engine lights not remain just under a different code.

I am going to give it more time to see what plays out before calling the issue "solved"
Old 01-25-19, 09:53 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, so I moved the 2 cam sensors on the passenger side (bank 1) to the drivers side (bank 2) and bank 2 to bank 1. 3 of the 4 sensors are identical and 1 of them has a 90 degree connection for the wire harness. Anyways, swapped the sensors around and took the car for a drive. I drove the car then stopped and turned it off, then drove some more and turned it off again. I did this maybe 5 or 6 times in an effort to throw the code. Vehicle is no longer throwing a P0017 code nor is it throwing any codes. At best, I hoped the code would swap from bank 1 to bank 2 but nothing, no codes no nothing.

Like before, car runs great and there is still a slight ticking noise coming from the passenger side. I will have the girlfriend drive the car tomorrow and see if the light comes back on.

I do not suspect that my issue is gone. It would be great if the code switched from bank 1 to bank 2 so I would know it was the sensor but I feel like I am not going to be that lucky.

I will update tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys.

Curious did you clean the oil screen on Bank 2? Also, what brand and weight of oil are you using and how long do you run between OCI?

When I bought my 350 it seemed sluggish and noisy. Knowing this crappy dealership dumped crude oil in it, I changed it and suddenly the thing springs to life.

The VVTi system is essentially a controlled oil leak which while managing cam timing so the quality of oil used does matter.

Last little bit just so we are on the same page. The DI clicks pretty good. Any chance the click you hear is really the thump from the high pressure pump on the right side?
The thump is 1/2 engine speed.

To isolate use a long wooden dowel, stethoscope, or even a long screwdriver and poke around listening to everything. Also a long cardboard tube to the ear offers a good bit of directional isolation to pinpoint sounds too.

No explanation why it runs better short of it being a bad connection that improved by swapping components!
Old 01-25-19, 12:12 PM
Josh2002cc
Driver School Candidate

Curious did you clean the oil screen on Bank 2? I have not cleaned it yet. I am trying to make adjustments one at a time so I can better understand what the fix might be. I am going to order new ones and replace once this is all figured out. In the mean time, I will pull bank 2 screen and clean it.

Also, what brand and weight of oil are you using and how long do you run between OCI? I can't tell you what kind of oil I used last. I have to admit, I am not the best at getting oil changes in regular intervals. This experience will change how and when I change my oil. Do you have a oil to recommend that I can buy from Napa, Auto Zone, Advanced Auto?

When I bought my 350 it seemed sluggish and noisy. Knowing this crappy dealership dumped crude oil in it, I changed it and suddenly the thing springs to life.

The VVTi system is essentially a controlled oil leak which while managing cam timing so the quality of oil used does matter.

Last little bit just so we are on the same page. The DI clicks pretty good. Any chance the click you hear is really the thump from the high pressure pump on the right side?
The thump is 1/2 engine speed. What is a "DI"?

To isolate use a long wooden dowel, stethoscope, or even a long screwdriver and poke around listening to everything. Also a long cardboard tube to the ear offers a good bit of directional isolation to pinpoint sounds too. My girlfriend is a surgery nurse so I will borrow her extra stethoscope that she has in the closet here at the house.

No explanation why it runs better short of it being a bad connection that improved by swapping components!
See my responses in RED above.
Old 01-25-19, 03:46 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

I started to use the Mobil 1 Extended regular. To my surprise I haven't lost any oil. Compared to regular Mobil 1 by the time my service light was on. I'd have to add almost 1/4 qt to bring the level back to the second mark.

DI is Direct Injection.

​​​​​​I actually just popped off my OCV filters this morning before work. They were clean as a whistle for 85k. Lol I just wanted to check the cleaness. To my surprise the car feels smoother. It did sound funny on start up since the oil that probably prevents the dry start in the OCV wasn't present. It drains out some milliliters.

Yeah good luck man hope your hiccups are gone.
Old 01-25-19, 06:13 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Warning Will Robinson... do not use a human based stethoscope on a car engine! If you want to hear again that is. Think a round dowel like that of a toilet plunger with a round end and a flat end. Give that a try.

I personally still run dino oils but never the high mileage stuff. Valvoline or Casteroil GTX and dump it before 5000 mi.

That thump from the DI high pressure pump is pretty obvious. Get a listening device and poke around...
Old 01-25-19, 06:30 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Oh and good job doing one step at a time! Always the best practice if you really want to know the "why" part!
Old 01-25-19, 06:53 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Great checks..!

Dont want to be the party pooper here but,
Sounds like a mechanical issue to me.
Stretched chain (due to high mileage) and/or a bad timing gear on the exhaust side of Bank 1.
I'm leaning towards the timing gear.
A stretched chain will give you codes for both banks.
I remember at TN, Toyota had a bulletin for these codes. (same motor 2GR)
Which requires replacing cam gears that threw the code.

How many miles?
Over 100k?

Quick Reply: 2007 IS350 Code P0017, Crank/Cam Position Correlation